Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 05:13 AM

346 posts, read 230,594 times

Advertisements

Finally, a real leader who understands how to read and interpret science vs. "believe in science" quackery.

Remember the scientific method is self-evident, not faith-based.

Children have the lowest risk rates to covid and these one-size-fits-all mask orders were deleterious to many kids with learning disabilities, asthma, allergies, etc.

Remember, this bill gives parents and kids choice. It doesn't ban masks, it makes them optional. If you want your kid to wear one, you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 12:52 PM

318 posts, read 452,124 times
From New Jersey. Just wanted to stop by and say what an inspiration Governor Youngkin is. You are so lucky to have a leader who is a fighter for families and individual rights. I wish my state would have joined you in electing someone like him.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:52 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
Sad to be living in NoVA at this time. Do NOT spam me.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
From New Jersey. Just wanted to stop by and say what an inspiration Governor Youngkin is. You are so lucky to have a leader who is a fighter for families and individual rights. I wish my state would have joined you in electing someone like him.
Well I'm originally from N.J. and I totally disagree with you.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:33 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Finally, a real leader who understands how to read and interpret science vs. "believe in science" quackery.

Remember the scientific method is self-evident, not faith-based.

Children have the lowest risk rates to covid and these one-size-fits-all mask orders were deleterious to many kids with learning disabilities, asthma, allergies, etc.

Remember, this bill gives parents and kids choice. It doesn't ban masks, it makes them optional. If you want your kid to wear one, you can.
You wear masks not only to protect yourself but to protect others.
Love your neighbor wear a mask!
And what you say is bs about children especially under 5 that cannot be vaccinated as my 3 year old daughter caught covid from people like you who not only gave it to my 3 year old granddaughter but my 4 month old grandson and my daughter!
I also knew two adults that died from covid.
Vaccines and masks have nothing to do with your freaking freedom!

Old 02-22-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Well I'm originally from N.J. and I totally disagree with you.
Disagree how ? I dont see you running back to NJ pay 12 grand in property taxes

Old 02-22-2022, 10:43 AM

You need some help man. I know adults who have gotten killed in a car accident. Do you want to ban driving too ? You also do realize that their have been deaths from the covid vaccine. Should we stop taking that too? Thank god you left NJ.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:46 AM

346 posts, read 230,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
You wear masks not only to protect yourself but to protect others.
Love your neighbor wear a mask!
And what you say is bs about children especially under 5 that cannot be vaccinated as my 3 year old daughter caught covid from people like you who not only gave it to my 3 year old granddaughter but my 4 month old grandson and my daughter!
I also knew two adults that died from covid.
Vaccines and masks have nothing to do with your freaking freedom!
If you don't like our freedoms here in VA you are welcome to move back to NJ.

Masks are not banned here, they are simply optional.

...oh but I see even the NJ Governor is lifting mask mandates now. Must not be political, no not at all, it's all the scienceâ„¢.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
If you don't like our freedoms here in VA you are welcome to move back to NJ.

Masks are not banned here, they are simply optional.

...oh but I see even the NJ Governor is lifting mask mandates now. Must not be political, no not at all, it's all the scienceâ„¢.
That's what the poster we are discussing hates the ability to choose. He/she needs the government to use junk science to justify their warped political beliefs.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:09 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 7 days ago)

8,387 posts, read 5,545,507 times
I think there are several things to realize:

1) There is always going to be another variant from now until the end of time. Covid isnt going away.
2) Our immune systems dont stay stagnant. There is a lot of cross immunity that is being built through exposure from variants that help protect us from future variants.
3) People's minds are pretty well made up on Covid and the perceived threat of it. There isnt a lot of changing minds especially given how political things have become.
4) People like to use the term "experts say....", but in reality the experts are very divided on almost everything with a few exceptions like the need to get vaccinated and boosted.
5) The term "follow the science" gets thrown around a lot and its a good idea in theory, but what does it mean? There are a lot of conflicting studies and the CDC guidance is both cheered and ignored by the same group of people depending on what it is.
6) The 24 hour news media has very set agendas, knows their audience, and tell them what they want to hear. Going along with point 4, you can get an expert that will tell you what you want to hear for your audience no matter what your opinion is.

So where does that put us as a country? We are very polarized and views of the virus depend pretty much on political leanings and primary sources of media consumed. I may be fatalist, but that renders any public health measures pretty much useless because we have 50 states with 50 different sets of rules. So the best you can really do is protect yourself. For normal people, I think that simply means getting vaxxed and boosted. For the immunocompromised it means more, but it is up to the individual to decide not up for the government to mandate anything.

I suppose what I hate more is the attitude of "Im for more regulation, therefore Im a better person." or the "I wear a mask so people wont think I voted for Trump.", but I also do feel for truly immunocompromised people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia