Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 12:15 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

I had order special plate (military plate) quite a few years ago, that is additional $10 annually. It does not make sense to charge $10 annually, instead of one time fee. They manage the plate same as other plates.

The point is --- I really don't like its characters. I don't mean that I want to have personalized character/number, if the system can generate some characters which is acceptable to me, then it is fine.

If I order personalized character, that is another $10 annually. Plus special plate, that is total $20 additionally per year. I don't feel it is worth to spend money on personalized characters.

Is there a way to exchange a new plate with a different character? One time fee for exchanging plate with system generated new characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 10:51 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Ask DMV, but I doubt any change will not have some kind of fee associated with it. I highly doubt that custom Fonts of the letters are available and if its certain letters/numbers you want there will be a fee if it even available.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:54 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Ask DMV, but I doubt any change will not have some kind of fee associated with it.
I am fine to pay one time fee (from current system generated characters to another system generated characters), but not choosing personalized characters which costs annual fee.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:09 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
For God's sake it's a license plate. You don't even see it for 99.9% of the time you're around the vehicle.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:59 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I am fine to pay one time fee (from current system generated characters to another system generated characters), but not choosing personalized characters which costs annual fee.
Then I guess you have your answer. Don't want to pay the fee, don't get customized characters/fonts. Authorities need to be able to read your plate. Not all fonts are equally legible especially in low light or at a distance. Satisfying vanity tends to cost $. The DMV knows this and takes advantage of it. The only entity that can answer your question about other characters is the DMV.

Instead of indulging your vanity with a vanity plate, why not order a custom plate frame for it instead? That's a one time cost, right? I've spotted a few pretty clever ones over the years.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-24-2024 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-02-2024, 03:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
I had order special plate (military plate) quite a few years ago, that is additional $10 annually. It does not make sense to charge $10 annually, instead of one time fee. They manage the plate same as other plates.
Some VA plates are "Revenue Sharing". If your plate is revenue sharing, a portion of that extra fee is shared with the attached organization as a gift. To check if your plate is revenue sharing, look through this list:
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/sites/d...nue_plates.pdf

Additionally, many specialize plates have such low demand, the cost of production can take years to recoup. They may keep charging that amount because it may still have cost them more to produce a vanity plate that few order.

If not, and you're still upset over the extra $10 to have a unique vanity plate, there is some serious priority issues going on......

Old 03-02-2024, 04:00 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
LOL at some of the posts that "some" post.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:53 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:

The point is --- I really don't like its characters. I don't mean that I want to have personalized character/number, if the system can generate some characters which is acceptable to me, then it is fine.

If I order personalized character, that is another $10 annually. Plus special plate, that is total $20 additionally per year. I don't feel it is worth to spend money on personalized characters.

Is there a way to exchange a new plate with a different character? One time fee for exchanging plate with system generated new characters.
Yes, you can order new plates and surrender the old plates to the DMV or destroy them once you've received the new ones.

They'll need to send you an updated registration card and new date tags to put on the plates as well. I'm not sure of the fees associated with the transaction.

You can go online and enter your details to see how much it would cost.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicle...category%3A291

Old 03-09-2024, 04:31 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Fees are established by law, including exchanges; https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodef...ter6/article7/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia