Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,759 times

Advertisements

I have zero ligaments in my knee and can barely walk up the stairs to my bedroom at the end of the day and I'm on here researching if it would be legal for me to ask my doctor about medical use. I've never smoked marijuana in my life and don't know if it would help my situation; however, just from a little research I'm sure it would help at night when the pain is at it's worst and I'm not sleeping but 3 to 4 hours a night. Good sight, helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
Ran into this via a google search, just thought I'd share the facts to set things straight in here.

Yes, VA does have a law dating back to 1979, although to my knowledge, there are no legal dispensaries or growers in the state. The key lies in the wording of the law itself, and is the main difference between VA and other states such as CA. The VA law uses the word prescription. Unfortunately, It is against federal law for a Dr. to write a prescription for marijuana. I have not heard of any Dr's in VA that are willing to risk losing their med. license to do this. The key difference in CA's newer laws, is that they don't use the word prescription, they use the word "recommendation", thus skirting by the federal regulations.

The only advice I can offer for individuals with ailments that can benefit from the medicinal use of marijuana is this... Obtain a medical permit card from one of the states that allows it, or at the very least, a small note from your Dr. that includes a recommendation, and carry it with you at all times. In some localities, they won't choose to prosecute you if you present such information.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhanks View Post
Unfortunately, It is against federal law for a Dr. to write a prescription for marijuana. I have not heard of any Dr's in VA that are willing to risk losing their med. license to do this. The key difference in CA's newer laws, is that they don't use the word prescription, they use the word "recommendation", thus skirting by the federal regulations.
Well that seems ripe for a constitutional challenge, particularly with the current direction of the Supreme Court. Doctors are licensed by the state. What business is the federal government's what local product (not sold in interstate commerce) a state licensed doctor can prescribe? The Federal government thought they could prohibit people from carrying guns near schools but were disabused of that in the Lopez decision.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,759 times
I personally think the reason it's not the same as western states is that everyone wants to see what happens.proof that they can profit from it.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
So the Feds supposedly won't be able to make you buy health insurance (a power reserved to the states) but they can prohibit you from buying or possessing local pot. Tell me how that works.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 33,864 times
Check out a web site called marijuana policy project Marijuana Policy Project - Home they are doing great things with marijuana reform

Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM

221 posts, read 438,630 times
California is bankrupt, Virginia is not. Altria/Philip Morris already have the machinery and chemists to start mass production.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM

111 posts, read 157,520 times
I would think making pot legal would be a good thing in Virginia.Itd replace tobacco and like its said above the cigarett companies should be alredy set up.Hemp would be another good industry.It can be used to make alot of things and easy to grow. Granma thought it was a rite prity plant.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,118 times
NO it is NOT legal here in Virginia...anywhere! In fact Virginia has the harshest penalties for possessing Marijuana! Beware...it can ruin your life if you get arrested in this state

Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
One big difference between Virginia and the western states like California & Colorado when it comes to medical marijuana....in Virginia such places aren't allowed to advertise in the media such as radio, TV or even in print. Compare that to say Denver where on some of their local radio stations it seems every other commercial is for some place offering medical pot. In other words, the doctor can tell you where to go to get medical marijuana but not Roanoke's K-92FM or Richmond's NBC12 WWBT.

Actually I am kinda surprised Max Media hasn't tried to get Virginia to change that rule since they make a ton of money in Denver from airing such ads..and Max owns many radio stations in Hampton Roads such as WGH-FM 97.3 "the eagle"...one would think Max media would want to make money in Virginia by airing ads for medical pot..but it doesn't seem that they do..at least in Virginia anyway.
NO it is NOT legal here in Virginia...anywhere! In fact Virginia has the harshest penalties for possessing Marijuana! Beware...it can ruin your life if you get arrested in this state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia