Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM

148 posts, read 533,039 times

Advertisements

-Where you are working: from home
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: buy at 400K max
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: no commute (isn't life grand!!)
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? public (must range high)
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
prefer walkable village type..although not 100% necessary, don't need big box retailers, prefer not too desolate and no cookie cutter house lifestyle. I've been looking SE of Richmond off rte 64 recently. NOVA appears too crowded and slightly unaffordable.
-Community amenities important to you: yes..safe park system, clean swimming facility, safe running areas, well rounded arts and sports programs
-Pie or cake? both..I also like cannoli if it floats your boat!

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...#ixzz2uoxgDGFS

Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,709,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working Fredericksburg Mostly (Lynchburg on Fridays)
-How much you are willing to spend on housing $500,000
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 2 hours once a week (30 min the rest of the week)
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Private School
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Suburban Delight
-Community amenities important to you Yes, A Lot
-Pie or cake? Pie

We on the Virginia forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

PS: WTB Sticky.
Just jumping in for fun, I am not looking to move anywhere.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM

15,178 posts, read 27,948,113 times
And you posted because????????

Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,769 times
I have a family of five and were looking to relocate from NJ to VA

Where you are working Im going to be looking for a teaching position and my husband is in manufacturing.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing.I would like to rent initially maybe a 3 bedroom townhouse or house about 1200 a month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate about 45-60 minute driving commute
-If you have kids: public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small city or small town feel.A place kid friendly sort of into sports we have 3 boys!
-Community amenities important to you. Friendly town or small city.Working class
-Pie or cake either

Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 AM

363 posts, read 559,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Each1teach201 View Post
I have a family of five and were looking to relocate from NJ to VA

Where you are working Im going to be looking for a teaching position and my husband is in manufacturing.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing.I would like to rent initially maybe a 3 bedroom townhouse or house about 1200 a month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate about 45-60 minute driving commute
-If you have kids: public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small city or small town feel.A place kid friendly sort of into sports we have 3 boys!
-Community amenities important to you. Friendly town or small city.Working class
-Pie or cake either
Try Salem just outside Roanoke

Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,089 times
Before starting a new thread, I thought I'd post here.

I am less than a year out from exiting active duty military (Quantico area) and my fiance and I have decided that Northern Virginia is the place for us hands down and want to relocate from SW FL when I exit my active service to pursue school/work.
We do consider the new costs/expenses of moving to a new state especially as non-residents, but we are both financially smart, have money well saved, and live a mostly quiet lifestyle.

Thankfully the Gi bill covers the costs of school for myself, and a monthly housing allowance of $2,175 is given to me each month. We have found nice studios/1 bedrooms for the $1,400-$1,500 price range in south Arlington leaving the rest of the money to pay for utilities/groceries/etc. I'll be going to school full time/working part time and she will be doing vise versa.

Are our odds looking pretty good to stay afloat in Nova? Has anyone gone through anything similar? I've seen a lot of great information on the boards already and was looking to get something more detailed!

Robin&Kaillie

Old 05-17-2015, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
Hello all,

Looking for some advice on where to live in VA

-Where you are working - Reston
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - $2.5k/month rent
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - Shortest possible considering other factors
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Public (must be exemplary rating, good gifted programs)
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Suburban Delight
-Community amenities important to you - Not majorly
-Pie or cake? Pizza

One kid attending elementary. Looking for at least 2,000 sq. ft. townhome/house to rent initially.

How is Ashburn?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM

188 posts, read 257,109 times
We are planning to move into the area of Eastern Tenn, SW Va, or NC when we retire in 3-4 years. Can anyone give me some background on Whitetop, and living there year round. I know we will be shopping for groceries in either Damascus or Bristol so that is no problem. I know a 4WD and a snow blower will be on my future Christmas lists... :-)

Where you are working - Will be retired from teaching (may volunteer some)
How much you are willing to spend on housing - buy = up to $300K
How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - only to the grocery store.
What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: Whitetop mountain areaa
Community amenities important to you - No
Pie or cake? Pie

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia