Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,073 times

Advertisements

I know your probably already set on not buying a VW...

It really depends on what engine/tranny/options it has.

Technology is whats killing these cars lol...

I read a VW mission statement (from the 1970s?) that pretty much said the a VW is designed for those who dont mind engine noises and getting their hands dirty with their pride and joy. For those who consider themselves enthusiasts....

Nowadays people dont know what a spark plug is and cars are so infused with technology it practically rules out most DIYers.

A lot of this technology is still new and in experimentation. It takes time and failure to perfect things. By the time they get it right, a new technology comes out or new regulations and competitors come into play.

With all these added components, comes more potential for failure.

General rule is avoid the first couple years on a new model/design. Avoid the automatic transmission. Manual windows are preferred.

Also, VWs seem to be very finicky with replacement parts. ALWAYS get OEM. DO NOT buy the cheaper part even if its a $5 difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
General rule is avoid the first couple years on a new model/design. Avoid the automatic transmission. Manual windows are preferred.

And stick with the older ones.. I have a fleet of 34 VW's, all but one(motorhome) is Diesel, 97 is newest, 3 million fleet miles. Most I ever spent was $2000 for a Passat Wagon TDI. Most were under $100.

I will NEVER buy a new one, I don't take kindly to having to be towed to the dealer, or sitting around waiting for repairs / parts. None of mine have darkened the door of a fix-it-shop while in my hands. Occasionally I need to repair, and RELIGIOUSLY I change the timing belts every 80k. (<$20) (interference engine).

Basically, the diesels get an oil change and fresh fuel filter once / yr in Oct. Then I DRIVE them for hundreds of thousands of miles. I kinda like my 50 mpg... took a 400 mile trip yesterday and used less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

Free fryer oil is nice for fuel, or if you have a friend that is a jet mechanic, you can use discarded Jet-A.

VW can be VERY fun to drive, try on a few to see which fit YOU and your style of driving. I can get GREAT after market suspension USED (dirt cheap) and it really improves my ETA through the mtns daily.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,219 times
VWs are rolling trash heaps waiting to self immolate at any moment. Could be fun if you're a pyromaniac.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 AM

551 posts, read 1,121,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Okay so the answer is no to VWs--what other makes are you considering?
Honda*, Hyundai*,Dodge, Infinity*, Subaru. *= more likely

Honda Accord coupe

Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Infinity G37 or FX35

Dodge Charger

Subaru Legacy

BTW i love subaru and id take the Impreza wrx hatchback anyday but its too much dough.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Also, there also seem to be a lot of VW dealerships that simply don't know how to work on VWs. I don't know how that's possible, but it certainly is true.
In my experience over the past decade of VW ownership, this is the only thing that makes a difference. Across the country (I've had 8 residences in 6 states since buying my car), the number of VW dealerships that enthusiasts will willingly visit can be counted on fingers alone. Most have the typical clueless gorilla/hack (like all dealerships, it's where newbie mechanics cut their teeth) that are more likely to cause problems than fix them. Combine that with owners who are unwilling to do any research into a good/qualified/trustworthy mechanic much less the actual problem itself and the whole mess just turns into a compounding problem.

*shrug* Doesn't really matter to me. I could care less what someone elses opinion is as I know my car is great and I'll absolutely look to VW or Audi to fill the slot when I eventually get tired of my '01 Jetta.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,040,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
In my experience over the past decade of VW ownership, this is the only thing that makes a difference. Across the country (I've had 8 residences in 6 states since buying my car), the number of VW dealerships that enthusiasts will willingly visit can be counted on fingers alone. Most have the typical clueless gorilla/hack (like all dealerships, it's where newbie mechanics cut their teeth) that are more likely to cause problems than fix them. Combine that with owners who are unwilling to do any research into a good/qualified/trustworthy mechanic much less the actual problem itself and the whole mess just turns into a compounding problem.

*shrug* Doesn't really matter to me. I could care less what someone elses opinion is as I know my car is great and I'll absolutely look to VW or Audi to fill the slot when I eventually get tired of my '01 Jetta.
Yep. I'm not sure what the problem is. Considering the fact that it's so widespread, I have to wonder if VW doesn't have an extremely low pay scale for their "mechanics," and anyone who isn't a primate quickly moves on.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
Honda*, Hyundai*,Dodge, Infinity*, Subaru. *= more likely

Honda Accord coupe

Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Infinity G37 or FX35

Dodge Charger

Subaru Legacy

BTW i love subaru and id take the Impreza wrx hatchback anyday but its too much dough.
That's quite a variety of cars, put the Maxima on your list. Its a fun car to drive with an interior that matches or exceeds any other car on your list. And with a new one due in 2014 the rebates are great. A new one loaded can be had for $33k-ish.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
I had avoided even commenting, considering how many posts there were by non-VW owners on here explaining how terrible the brand is. I currently have two VW's in my garage an 06' Jetta 2.5 and a 12' Jetta TDI. Love both cars, the 06 has been pretty very reliable for the 120k miles i've owned it and has been a fantastic "driver's car". The TDI has a few less neat details that the 06' had, however it's been a fantastic car during the 13k miles I've put on it...and has delivered better than advertised fuel economy at 42 MPG combined city/highway average since purchase.

All in all, I think VW does have some quality issues here and there and consumer reports would recommend that you stay away from the brand. I often find it humorous though that some individuals will recommend the audi brand while saying to stay far away from the cheapened down Volkswagen model...every part I've ever bought to replace on my VW, and every sensor I pull off in the process of replacing random parts has a VW/Audi emblem on it...and each box will normally state "Fits Audi/VW/Skoda etc".

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM

534 posts, read 2,407,819 times
Some have said, and ill agree with, the mk4 (or 3) vw is not the same as todays vw. Know that. The good vibes youll generally hear, are from the owners of older ones, or new ones happy everything thats blown up has been handled by warranty. The newer ones can be great or nightmares. I highly recommend buying one with a warranty at least. I always thought it was funny that my friend that works at a honda dealer, the techs all drive hondas. My other friend owns a vw shop.... Him (and his techs) have a mixture of honda and toyota. I don't think any of them drive a vw. Theres a reason.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
MY SO Owns an '06 Jetta. It has been serviced at recommended intervals.

In 70,000 miles there have been exactly zero problems. I forget the original purchase price, but the vehicle is equipped with a variety of what i would consider to be higher ended features, most of which came standard on the car. Leather interior, heated seats, mutli position moon roof, turbo, all electric,foldabnle seats, six way air bags (at least!), and allow wheels. Compared to US cars, it is far superior in terms of features, road handling, comfort, and reliability.

It's a car! Buy one and drive it for a few years. Compare your experience. If it is great, but another in ten years. If you don't like it, move on. Quite honeslty, i wouldn't put much faith in what you read on the internet. People have all sorts of reasons to grumble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen