Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM

199 posts, read 335,352 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say it's a design flaw; Metro, as public transit, was designed so that you shouldn't need to use a car. The stations at or near the end of lines (e.g. Franconia-Springfield, New Carrollton, Vienna etc.) have big parking garages for the people commuting in from the outer suburbs, but the most of the inner stations are located in dense, urban neighborhoods that would make parking spaces prohibitive from a cost and space perspective.

If you find yourself in a worst-case scenario where the closest Metro station doesn't have any parking, but it's a little outside of your walking range, I'd use one of the multiple regional bus services (e.g. WMATA/Circulator in DC, ART in Arlington, Ride On in Montgomery County, DASH in Alexandria) as a connector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,750,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I've also noticed that many Metro stations have no parking at all. Was that a design flaw on the part of the folks who created the route maps for the various lines?
Haha. On the contrary, it would actually be a huge design flaw to put parking at all but the most outlying suburban Metro stations. Just look at how disastrous the stations that do have parking are in terms of being able to build retail, housing, and offices near them. Now imagine how diminished the experience of Dupont Circle, Farragut, Columbia Heights, U Street, Eastern Market would be if there were big parking lots around those stations.

It's more like every other subway system in the world and we're rapidly phasing out the car culture here so adjusting to that will be important to making it work while living here. Buses are an important connector to get you to subway stations as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,592,587 times
That makes plenty of sense; turning prime real estate into parking lots makes zero sense, and I only wish that our string of Mayors out here in LA had the same type of 'vision thing' that your local politicians do as it relates to building a sensible subway system which moves folks where they actually want to go.

I took a look at the King Street Metro station on the maps.google.com website, and it appears to be very well-designed in a sensible location surrounded by major hotels and a slew of apartments & restaurants.

Is that a nice and popular area of Alexandria to live in?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,750,339 times
Quote:
That makes plenty of sense; turning prime real estate into parking lots makes zero sense, and I only wish that our string of Mayors out here in LA had the same type of 'vision thing' that your local politicians do as it relates to building a sensible subway system which moves folks where they actually want to go.

I took a look at the King Street Metro station on the maps.google.com website, and it appears to be very well-designed in a sensible location surrounded by major hotels and a slew of apartments & restaurants.

Is that a nice and popular area of Alexandria to live in?
Yes. Old Town Alexandria's really nice - vibrant, walkable, and large commercial district with easy access to the District. It's a somewhat older crowd than you'll find in the central DC neighborhoods but that's not a bad thing - just might not be ideal for a 22 year old.

I don't know if there's any direct parallels to LA but it might fill a similar role as Santa Monica without the beach if I had to pick one. It's outside the core city, on the Potomac River with nice views of the city, kinda doing its own thing but right in the middle of everything. Lots of good biking trails nearby, near National Airport and the Beltway.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM

I'm a baby-boomer so that sounds like a very nice part of DC to live in, with plenty of restaurants, shopping, and nightlife options to choose from.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM

I've just noticed a very wide disparity in gasoline prices back there; $3.75 in Alexandria vs. $3.35 in Arlington & $3.26 in Silver Spring.

Is there a particular reason for that?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,692 times
Default I don't know the answer to your question but...

Quote:
I've just noticed a very wide disparity in gasoline prices back there; $3.75 in Alexandria vs. $3.35 in Arlington & $3.26 in Silver Spring.

Is there a particular reason for that?
Be car free in the city and buy gas on your way in or out of townin Fredericksburg, VA. I'm not sure of the best location northbound on I-95.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,300,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Haha. On the contrary, it would actually be a huge design flaw to put parking at all but the most outlying suburban Metro stations. Just look at how disastrous the stations that do have parking are in terms of being able to build retail, housing, and offices near them. Now imagine how diminished the experience of Dupont Circle, Farragut, Columbia Heights, U Street, Eastern Market would be if there were big parking lots around those stations.

It's more like every other subway system in the world and we're rapidly phasing out the car culture here so adjusting to that will be important to making it work while living here. Buses are an important connector to get you to subway stations as well.

Not to mention, you'll get plenty of exercise getting in/out of the stations if the escalators decide to take a vacation that day.

ESPECIALLY Dupont Circle.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM

242 posts, read 501,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I saw an ad on Craigslist for that price with lots of pics, and the apartment looked great. All I see on these threads is that $1,500 will put you way out in the burbs. This ad had a map, and the marker was truly in the heart of Dupont Circle in a good spot. Using the 40 rule, my partner and I could afford $1,500 even if I didn't work and he got a job that paid only $30,000 because I have a pension. But I plan to work if we move there.
i posted an album with some pictures of dupont circle. i was just there today. you can click my profile name and find the album. there are some streets where it looks like those are apartments on the side streets. beautiful place. good luck.

Quote:
So what CAN you get in DC, Silver Spring, Alexandria, Arlington or elsewhere for $1,500/month insofar as a 1-BR within walking distance of the Metro is concerned?

Also, can you find a 1BR for less than that in the greater DC area that's in a nice and safe neighborhood?

I'm considering moving from LA later this year, and I'm soliciting opinions on what I should expect to shell out per month in rent.

Thanks!
i was looking to move to the dc area, right now i live about 100 miles away. a lot of people commute to work in the dc/baltimore area but i do not want to do that.
the price for apartments is really high and the jobs are there but not that many.
so, i am moving to los angeles in 5 months. i see that the cost of living in los angeles is less than dc/frederick area plus more jobs because it's a bigger city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i posted an album with some pictures of dupont circle. i was just there today. you can click my profile name and find the album. there are some streets where it looks like those are apartments on the side streets. beautiful place. good luck.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...il-3-2013.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
oops sorry. i don't have dupont circle on this album. i will make another album tomorrow or friday with pictures i took while in dupont circle today. i have school tomorrow morning so hitting the bed now.

Last edited by Yac; 04-04-2013 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 11-16-2014, 05:47 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,660,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I saw an ad on Craigslist for that price with lots of pics, and the apartment looked great. All I see on these threads is that $1,500 will put you way out in the burbs. This ad had a map, and the marker was truly in the heart of Dupont Circle in a good spot. Using the 40 rule, my partner and I could afford $1,500 even if I didn't work and he got a job that paid only $30,000 because I have a pension. But I plan to work if we move there.
Sounds like a great deal!! Most studios are over $2,000 in Dupont. I would do some due diligence. Perhaps the owner doesn't have a mortgage on the property and has had it for years and keeps the price low to keep it filled all the time. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC