Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
SW could be hip if it actually had retail. Navy Yard is too damn expensive to be hip.
I don't know if SW has what it takes to be hip. I could see SW becoming more similar to Penn Quarter over time (based on the plans MDAllStar posted), which I don't think of as being "hip" per se, but moreso upscale.

Meridian Hill Park is the essence of "hip," imo.

meridian hill park drum circle, washington dc - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
hip to you could be nerdy, wack and way over the radar to someone else yo.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM

465 posts, read 928,700 times
Quote:
I could see SW becoming more similar to Penn Quarter over time (based on the plans MDAllStar posted), which I don't think of as being "hip" per se, but moreso upscale.
I kinda see Navy Yard the same way. Lots of new construction and slick eateries. Although Bluejacket could add some Hipster cred? Hipsters like beer don't they?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I kinda see Navy Yard the same way. Lots of new construction and slick eateries. Although Bluejacket could add some Hipster cred? Hipsters like beer don't they?
Hipsters like vintage. I'm not sure if shiny condos on the waterfront will engender the same feelings of nostalgia in this demographic as, say, Shaw, which not only offers an old, adorable housing stock, but also a connection to a white Civil War officer from New England that led a regiment of black troops! That's major progressive cred right there.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's true.

I dunno. Do you wear black, thick-framed glasses? Sweet Lumberjack beard? How many Apple products do you own? You may unknowingly fit the profile.

An impulse at Lenscrafters actually gave me somewhat hip looking eyeglasses. No beard, nothing by Apple.

I also do not drink PBR or vodka martinis. Are those things still hip?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I also do not drink PBR or vodka martinis. Are those things still hip?
PBR, yes. Go to nearly any Whole Foods in an urban area and they'll be stocked at the front of the store.

Vodka martinis, I'm not so sure about. I never knew that was a hipster stable. That shows how "deck" I am.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hipsters like vintage. I'm not sure if shiny condos on the waterfront will engender the same feelings of nostalgia in this demographic as, say, Shaw, which not only offers an old, adorable housing stock, but also a connection to a white Civil War officer from New England that led a regiment of black troops! That's major progressive cred right there.

what does that have to do with being hip?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,531,371 times
Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, U street corridor, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Petworth, Kalorama, H street/Atla District, Pleasant Plains, Mt. Pleasant, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, NoMa, and in the suburbs: Downtown Silver Spring, Old Town Alexandria, Downtown Bethesda, Chevy Chase Village, National Harbor, Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Shirlington, and Tysons Corner in the future, possibly Reston.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,258 times
Thanks to all for the info so far.
I understood my misuse of the term hip when I wrote the post, but didn't know what to substitute in its place. I want a pedestrian friendly, pedestrian active place where people hang out, where culturally diverse food can be found, coffee shops that feel friendly, bartenders that will learn your name given the chance, and access to a few too many glasses of whisky/wine every now and again.
I had also purposefully omitted info such as age, rent, crime in order to not squash possible recommendations, but...
I'm 42 (but generally prefer to hang with a slightly younger crowd), looking to buy at around the $400K mark, but capable of going to $5, and I'll be working for Uncles Sam at the Pentagon.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM

465 posts, read 928,700 times
Quote:
Downtown Silver Spring, Old Town Alexandria, Downtown Bethesda, Chevy Chase Village, National Harbor, Rosslyn, Clarendon, Ballston, Shirlington, and Tysons Corner in the future, possibly Reston.
Young social scene, yes. HIP? No.

Quote:
I'm 42 (but generally prefer to hang with a slightly younger crowd),
Gee, I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: