Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 21,345 times

Advertisements

Good Day!

Im 25 and about to take a job in downtown DC coming from Chicago. I've lived in Chicago for about 5 years now and love it. Can anyone breakdown the neighborhoods in DC area that are comparable with some neighborhoods in Chicago (Lincoln Park, Old Town, West Loop, South Loop, Wicker Park).

I would like to find something that is "up and coming" with respect to shops, restaurants, pubs, farmers markets, etc. Or that has the similar vibe as some one or two of those aforementioned Chicago neighborhoods.

Also, I would like to take the metra while living out there and I believe my stop for work will be the Smithsonian. So, think about what neighborhoods fit will for commuting to that stop in a timely manner.

I would love to hear from any who has any ideas, recommendations, what have you, about my situation. Thank you for your time!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
It all depends on how much cake you are working with? DC is more expensive than Chicago. The rent in those neighborhoods you mentioned are cheaper compared to DC. Some advice - When you get here, make sure you J-walk. I hate it when tourist and out of towners just stand on the corner and wait for the light to turn green when there is no traffic coming. This is the east coast so get out of the way. Also, stand to the right on the metro escalator if you don't want to get beat up. You will be hard pressed to find Chicago styled pizza unless you go to Uno's which is awful IMO. So get used to oversized thin slice pizza (adams morgan). BTW - We don't have (metra) huge diesel trains running through out the city.

Welcome to DC!

Last edited by DC's Finest; 01-30-2008 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 AM

50 posts, read 336,153 times
I agree with the above poster--the equivalent neighborhoods will be more expensive. There is no Wicker Park equivalent (filled with white hipsters), probably the closest is U Street, Adams Morgan or Mount Pleasant (all are much more diverse). Dupont Circle is the Lakeview/Wrigleyville "equivalent", but again much more expensive. Eastern Market is one of my favorite neighborhoods in DC that is metro accessible, and there are parts (farther East) that are more affordable. I know a lot of people who live in Brookland. Because of the housing costs and relative lack of small apartment buildings (like the 3 flats and Courtyard apartments in Chicago), a lot of people end up sharing a house on the lower end of income scale. I had my own one-bedroom when I lived in Chicago, but ended up with roommates when I first moved to DC. The downtown is very different here, and there were never any real industrial sections to turn into lofts--so no real South Look or West Loop equivalent (try Baltimore). The suburbs are much more an option in DC than in Chicago, where they seem very far away. Bethesda (MD) has sort of a Lincoln Park feel, as does Alexandria (VA). Silver Spring (MD) and Arlington (VA) are filled with under-30's who work in the district. Every city is different though; every city neighborhood has its own feel. You will find that DC has a very different feel than Chicago, you should visit and find what you like.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It all depends on how much cake you are working with? DC is more expensive than Chicago. The rent in those neighborhoods you mentioned are cheaper compared to DC. Some advice - When you get here, make sure you J-walk. I hate it when tourist and out of towners just stand on the corner and wait for the light to turn green when there is no traffic coming. This is the east coast so get out of the way. Also, stand to the right on the metro escalator if you don't want to get beat up. You will be hard pressed to find Chicago styled pizza unless you go to Uno's which is awful IMO. So get used to oversized thin slice pizza (adams morgan). BTW - We don't have (metra) huge diesel trains running through out the city.

Welcome to DC!
Thanks buddy..

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOctopus View Post
I agree with the above poster--the equivalent neighborhoods will be more expensive. There is no Wicker Park equivalent (filled with white hipsters), probably the closest is U Street, Adams Morgan or Mount Pleasant (all are much more diverse). Dupont Circle is the Lakeview/Wrigleyville "equivalent", but again much more expensive. Eastern Market is one of my favorite neighborhoods in DC that is metro accessible, and there are parts (farther East) that are more affordable. I know a lot of people who live in Brookland. Because of the housing costs and relative lack of small apartment buildings (like the 3 flats and Courtyard apartments in Chicago), a lot of people end up sharing a house on the lower end of income scale. I had my own one-bedroom when I lived in Chicago, but ended up with roommates when I first moved to DC. The downtown is very different here, and there were never any real industrial sections to turn into lofts--so no real South Look or West Loop equivalent (try Baltimore). The suburbs are much more an option in DC than in Chicago, where they seem very far away. Bethesda (MD) has sort of a Lincoln Park feel, as does Alexandria (VA). Silver Spring (MD) and Arlington (VA) are filled with under-30's who work in the district. Every city is different though; every city neighborhood has its own feel. You will find that DC has a very different feel than Chicago, you should visit and find what you like.
McOctopus,
Ok cool! I feel that my income should be sufficient for a decent neighborhood, but probably not the more expensive ones in the area. I have read about the Eastern Market, so I am glad you feel this is a cool area.

I am comfortable living in a more cultured area than say, a Lincoln Park or Wicker Park, so don't be shy about discussing more cultured areas with me. My current location in Chicago is going through a rapid gentrification process, so Im curious to know which areas in the DC area have gone, or are going through it now.

Regarding the suburbs:
I have looked into the suburbs a little bit, so it is good to know that there are some areas that will fit my lifestyle. I am curious, how long will the commute take via metro from Bethesda, Alexandria, and Arlington to the Smithsonian stop (not counting the hike to and fro the nearest station)?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,106 times
You should also look at Takoma Park, which straddles DC and the eastern edge of Montgomery County. The country's first nuclear-free zone, home to a diverse blend of graduate students, middle-aged former hippies, Victorian home lovers, etc. There is a Metro stop there.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
I agree with claremarie, Takoma Park is starting to become known for being a so called up and coming area. I've spent some time looking there and if my job wasn't so far away I would probably have bought the place, it was a decent deal, especially compared to Arlington where I live now.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:09 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,237,559 times
I've also been looking at housing in the DC area (ironically enough, I was targeting the Chicago area bigtime initially in my job search!), and about the Metrorail distance to the Washington Mall area, I'd say Bethesda, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Friendship Heights, Arlington (Ballston-Clarendon corridor), and Old Town Alexandria are all within 30 minutes of the Mall via the Metro; Ballston-Clarendon in particular would be a lot less than 30 minutes. (Incidentally, both Takoma Park and Friendship Heights straddle the DC/MD border.) All of these places are walkable and built up in varying degrees; they definitely aren't sprawling suburban areas, at least near the Metro stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC