Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM

223 posts, read 279,376 times

Advertisements

I was so used to hearing so so many arguments on whether MD was north or south, so I just decided to start my own thread!

I say the middle, but I am going to do a poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 PM

857 posts, read 1,203,562 times
Once upon a time DC was where the north turned into the south. Now? DC is firmly upnorth. for years it was the large black community that gave the city its southern vibe but even thats changed. hte blacks that have yet to be gentrified out of town dont have a southern overtone in their voice anymore and not a lick of southern hospitality in them.

And I dont understand the mid atlantic argument. The mid atlantic is a subregion of the northeast. New York, New Jersey, PA, Delaware, Maryland and DC was the midatlantic. Once you hit Virginia, thats where the south started, esp since the confederate capitol was in Richmond.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Once upon a time DC was where the north turned into the south. Now? DC is firmly upnorth. for years it was the large black community that gave the city its southern vibe but even thats changed. hte blacks that have yet to be gentrified out of town dont have a southern overtone in their voice anymore and not a lick of southern hospitality in them.

And I dont understand the mid atlantic argument. The mid atlantic is a subregion of the northeast. New York, New Jersey, PA, Delaware, Maryland and DC was the midatlantic. Once you hit Virginia, thats where the south started, esp since the confederate capitol was in Richmond.
Exactly. When my family goes to texas, you always here black children calling their parents mah-muh (not mah-mah) and pahpah, or just mah and pah. I never hear that from black people here.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:02 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,538,192 times
It depends on where you're from. If you're from New England, you would think this is the deep south. If you're from the deep south, this is Yankee land.

You're blind if you can't see the southern influences though. Half of Georgetown/West End looks like it could be University of Alabama frat bros.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 AM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post

You're blind if you can't see the southern influences though. Half of Georgetown/West End looks like it could be University of Alabama frat bros.

They look like general frat bros; it isn't from a specific region. Check out the frats at Yale, Penn State, UMass.......they all look the same as Georgetown and Alabama.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It depends on where you're from. If you're from New England, you would think this is the deep south. If you're from the deep south, this is Yankee land.

A lot of colleges look like that first off.

Also, when I went to NYC, people didnt call us the deep south :/ They considered us the middle, thank you very much The only people that did not consider us the middle were the southerners, who called us the north.

Also, was DC not the capitol of the union? Just saying.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,538,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
They look like general frat bros; it isn't from a specific region. Check out the frats at Yale, Penn State, UMass.......they all look the same as Georgetown and Alabama.
Sure. I can't speak to those other areas, but you wouldn't see students dressing like that in most major cosmopolitan areas like New York City or San Francisco. It's kind of amazing how you pretty much never see these men wearing these pastel shorts and polos in New York -- whereas they are a dime a dozen in DC. And I pretty much only hang out in Greenwich Village (NYU) when I go to NYC.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 AM

My mom is from dc, she calls water wudder or wooder

Old 04-11-2016, 08:31 AM

Also, if you could not tell, the emojis are supposed to be a sandy area with a palm tree like some southern places, and the other one was a bunch of sky scrapers, like some northern cities.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,143 posts, read 7,612,515 times
Quote:

Not true.

I once dated a girl from New Bedford, MA when she came to visit DC the first time, and I asked her does she think it was southern here. She answered with an emphatic "NO" and stated on top of that, "southern is like Georgia/Alabama" "DC is just DC." These are her words not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC