Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 PM

146 posts, read 451,709 times

Advertisements

The "Park7DC" apartments has a good offer for me, for a studio. I'm hesitant to take it, though. The area looks somewhat sketchy (4020 Minnesota Ave NE), and reviews of the apartment doesn't look very good; although, to be fair, most of the bad reviews are about the leasing process itself, not about the actual apartment units. (Reviews one) (Reviews two)

It's a new apartment (recently opened in 2014) so everything should hopefully be good quality, and it's right there on the bus stop. It's just that looking at Google Street View, the area doesn't look that good/safe, and looking at DC's crime map does show a high criminal activity in the area. I do like the idea, and it's one of the only affordable options for me that hits everything I want (living alone, W/D in unit, near where I work).

Thoughts? Anyone who lived in the area before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,573,909 times
No

Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM

2,617 posts, read 4,698,815 times
Default boredatwork

Please dont be like the white guy I saw the other night walking down Minnesota Ave around 11pm looking like a fish out the water. (If your white )

Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,573,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Please dont be like the white guy I saw the other night walking down Minnesota Ave around 11pm looking like a fish out the water. (If your white )
Lol. Fresh meat.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM

146 posts, read 451,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
No
May I ask why not, from your perspective?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:56 AM

355 posts, read 789,487 times
How much a studio there cost?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM

23 posts, read 26,767 times
I used to work in that area and it was "somewhat sketchy" during the day; I can only imagine what it's like at night lol. But seriously, if I were you I'd give it strong consideration. Living in an up-and-coming neighborhood is usually a lot less traumatic than what our minds conjure.

The first time I visited DC I was afraid to step foot in Anacostia because I'd heard horror stories. Now I live in Anacostia, and I haven't had any problems. Of course, I'm able to blend in lol. I'm not sure what your race is, but I can see how you might feel out of place is you're not African American.

Then again, if you've found a place that's affordable and close to your work, why not go for it? The entire city's being gentrified. It's only a matter of time before every neighborhood in DC looks like Friendship Heights

Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,532,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
May I ask why not, from your perspective?
That area is JUST starting the process of gentrification. But its years away from being a nice area to live.

I would avoid living there if I were you. Maybe in 3-5 years, but not now.

Also.. as a general rule.. do NOT live anywhere in DC east of the Anacostia River.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,972,458 times
Truth be told in that price range you may want to check out Juniper Courts in Takoma (NW DC). It is an older building, but they recently renovated the entire building.
There is still affordable places in Wards 4 and 5 for somebody on their own, especially if all they are looking for is a studio.
East of the River is entirely dependent on how long one has lived in DC, and what their comfort level is. Minnesota Ave is not the worst, but there are still better neighborhoods if that is your budget and you are open to living in an older building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: