Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times

Advertisements

I was looking at an online DC crime map that was posted in another thread. It sparked my interest so I decided to tour the crime ridden areas on Google Maps. I've been in some rough areas of Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia and it's always very obvious the area is rough just from looking at the condition of the homes and buildings. The areas I saw in DC looked like working class neighborhoods. Nothing fancy but not too shabby either. Hell, I've been to smaller cities like Joliet, Illinois that has crummier looking buildings. A lot of the areas I saw even look better than Scranton, PA (where I currently live near).

Am I looking in the wrong areas or does DC do a good job of keeping things cleaned up as compared to other cities? I was expecting to see crumbling homes, burnt out buildings and debris everywhere like I've seen in other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
What specific neighborhoods in DC are you thinking of? And what neighborhoods are you thinking of in Chicago and the other cities?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I was expecting to see crumbling homes, burnt out buildings and debris everywhere like I've seen in other places.
DC has areas that can look pretty dumpy (check out Ivy City sometime), but some neighborhoods with higher rates of crime still have nicer housing stock, lending a nicer image of the neighborhood than actually exists.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,109 times
Southeast actually has some pretty decent areas and hidden gems. I worked in Southeast doing community relations for about a year. The problem is that ignorance many times is right around the corner.

Check out Woodmont, It is nice.

http://www.idshomes.com/Woodmont.htm

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,400 times
Wheeler Creek:

Wheeler Creek Community Development Corporation

Went from this:

http://www.dchousing.org/hope6/wheeler_hope6_files/image002.jpg (broken link)

to this:

http://www.dchousing.org/hope6/wheeler_hope6_files/image004.jpg (broken link)

Henson Ridge:

http://www.hellohensonridge.com/
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...son-Ridge.html

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,109 times
Henson ridge is pretty decent.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
Henson ridge is pretty decent.
It looks decent. But Henson Ridge is still very much the hood.

Old Hope, New Worries - Washington City Paper

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,006 times
I think that fundamentally the durable housing stock of DC is due to the building regulations that have evolved with the city. When you have an architectural maven like George Washington setting down the first regulations, you know you've got a pretty solid regulatory foundation

Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
What specific neighborhoods in DC are you thinking of? And what neighborhoods are you thinking of in Chicago and the other cities?
I was looking at Anacostia and randon NE neighborhoods. Anacostia was brought up on a Yelp thread and everyone acted like it was hell on earth. Searching random locations on GoogleMaps I did not see one area of DC that looked like a stereotypical ghetto.

I lived in the Chicago burbs for 10 years but I don't know most of the city and it's neighborhoods very well. Twice I rode Amtrack from Chicago to Ann Arbor, MI and went into seedy southside neighborhoods. Detroit is a city I've been to many times. I actually like the city but it does have many areas that are extreme on the ghetto scale.

Based on the reputation DC has and from what I've heard from a co-worker that used to work down there I guess I was just expecting the absolute worst. If I had no knowledge of DC and was just driving around I wouldn't have thought I was "in the ghetto" based on the home conditions. I can't say the same for the other cities I mentioned.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I did not see one area of DC that looked like a stereotypical ghetto..
lol.
You should go to those places at night or when theres people hanging on the corners and alleys, but I disagree with your comments, I don't know what you'd call them, but these are projects, and they look ghetto to me:

I couldn't find any photos on google that made any hood in DC look hard, but yeah I found two places that look ghetto no matter what time or day you look at it.

Langston Terrace on 21st St NE:

Woodland Terrace on Ainger Pl SE:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: