Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 30,280 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to area in a month. Working near Lacey, but my wife might be working in or near Tacoma.

We've looked at areas to live, Steilacoom looks convenient but not a lot of housing options. Ideally we'd like a small 2-3 br house with a yard. University Place looks nice too.... We'll be visiting in about two weeks to find a rental.

Is tacoma to olympia an easier commute or is olympia to tacoma better?

Other factors will be cost of living, things to do, safety, etc... Where should we concentrate our search? I've been looking on craigslist and rentals.com for housing. Any local sites or advice on that would be appreciated as well. We are looking to spend no more than $1200/mth on rent.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,344 times
Default probably Tacoma to Oly is easier

depending on the time of your commute, if its standard busy traffic hours Tacoma to Olympia would be contra flow, I think most folks head north to work. However housing will most likely be cheaper in Olympia. I'm not familiar with rental agencies in Pierce county but the two major companies in Oly are Hometown Property management and Cycle real estate, both have websites if you search for them.

Seth

Moderator cut: Advertising not allowed iaw TOS

Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,527 times
Waferrolls,
If you're looking to locate halfway in between Olympia and Tacoma, you might want to consider Dupont. Rents for a 2-3 bedroom home will probably exceed $1200, but I don't think rents in Steilacoom are any less. You'll find rents cheaper in the Olympia area. In Lacey you should have no problem finding a house around $1200 and the commute to Tacoma is around 30-40 minutes.
Good Luck!
Sandy

Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 AM

4 posts, read 30,280 times
Thanks Sandy.

How is the traffic to Tacoma in the mornings from Lacey?

Would University point to Lacey be an easier commute in the mornings, as far as traffic is concerned?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM

86 posts, read 403,086 times
One of you should live really close to your place of work. Even better if one of you could drop the car altogether. Sounds crazy eh? Well we have done it.. and although we have two cars one of us walks to work. I am sure we are lucky at this time since my husband works at a university and we just live a few blocks from it.

So I guess it will be better if you have an idea of where your wife will work at. Why don't you look into a month to month rental or short rental before deciding on where to rent or buy? That would probably will be your best option.

Moderator cut: list it in classified.

Good luck with your move

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-06-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM

29 posts, read 129,867 times
There's traffic in both directions, really, but it's fairly predictable. The main commuting issue between Lacey and Tacoma is the Fort Lewis traffic. Fort Lewis is expanding so it's increasing, and people commute there from all directions, north and south on I-5, and also via 512 (coming west in the morning, east in the evening). I know that going northbound to Tacoma from Lacey is jammed up from around 4-6 pm, although it opens up where I-5 widens out just north of Fort Lewis.
There are express buses from Lacey to Tacoma from the Park 'n' Ride, if that helps anything. And yes, prices will be somewhat lower here. You might want to check the Olympia area listings on Craigslist while you're looking.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 32,785 times
Are you moving here long term, (could make a difference), and what kind of place do you have in mind? DuPont is a nice option if a big yard isn't a priority. There are homes with large yards in DuPont as well if prices around 1/2 million dollars is within your budget (though they're dropping a bit with the real estate mortgage crunch).

Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 PM

103 posts, read 783,461 times
Your wife will be working near tacoma.Where is near tacoma?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabella2 View Post
One of you should live really close to your place of work. Even better if one of you could drop the car altogether. Sounds crazy eh? Well we have done it.. and although we have two cars one of us walks to work. I am sure we are lucky at this time since my husband works at a university and we just live a few blocks from it.

So I guess it will be better if you have an idea of where your wife will work at. Why don't you look into a month to month rental or short rental before deciding on where to rent or buy? That would probably will be your best option.

[mod] list it in classified. [/mod]

Good luck with your move
Thank you so much for your post! That was really helpful for my decision to commute puyallup to olympia or just live in olympia.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0082 View Post
Thank you so much for your post! That was really helpful for my decision to commute puyallup to olympia or just live in olympia.
Since this thread was last updated back in 2008, they have announced a major reduction in the the people at JBLM, so I would expect traffic to drop off considerably, but also for home prices and rent near there to go down in the next year year so, as employees of military related companies get laid off and businesses close.

Potential 11,000 layoffs at JBLM could end iconic restaurant

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington