Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,759 times

Advertisements

I'm set on moving to the Pacific Northwest later this year, and I'm trying to get an idea of what the cities are like.

Olympia, the capitol of Washington state.
How do you like it?
Do you want to stay or leave, and why?
How is the restaurant scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:27 PM

329 posts, read 470,359 times
I don't live there but loved it when I was out there couple weeks ago.. consider moving there now ♥

Old 02-06-2017, 05:38 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Very general question, I'll answer the part you were specific about.

Restaurants:
We have all the expected chains, and a few to several good local places, depending on what you like.
Anthony's Home Port for good seafood. They are a local chain... a few locations in the Puget Sound area.
Olympia Oyster House, until the latest ownership... not sure about it any more. Been hearing bad things.
Brewery City Pizza! (named after the former Olympia Brewery... now closed Pizza still good.
Falls Terrace, good date restaurant.
Probably others...Depends what you're into!

One thing about the northwest, you can dress up for dinner if you want.... but there are very few places where you feel like you HAVE to dress up. We're just a fairly casual culture. Flannel... it's not just for pajamas any more.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
I have only lived here since June of last year but Olympia is a fairly nice place IMO. As the previous poster said all the major restaurant chains are here plus lots of local spots as well. You may as well consider Tumwater and Lacey as part as Oly tbh since they make up the metro area and it's hard to tell the borders.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM

489 posts, read 963,839 times
It's getting too big and crowded. Turning into a suburb of Seattle.
Coffee shop hipsters everywhere and younger folks looking for something to be offended about.

The food scene isn't exciting, but not all that bad.
The Mexican restaurants are great if you love cheese and sauce on everything.
Pho joints are everywhere, and most are really good. Plenty of good choices for other Asian food, outside the local chains.
Micro/craft breweries abound with the usual excellent food they serve.
Pizza is everywhere, with some top quality local joints. No good Chicago style pizza though, but a few sell by the slice.
Italian food is mostly blah. A couple decent options, but they're really Americanized. Not bad if you don't know better.
Some great burger joints around.

Where are you moving from?
What types of food do you like?

-Mike

Old 02-07-2017, 06:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Mom use to enjoy a little German restaurant and remember taking her a couple of times a year... it closed and not aware of any good South Sound German places...

I took her to the Falls Terrace last Sunday and we always enjoy it.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 AM

162 posts, read 199,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Italian food is mostly blah. A couple decent options, but they're really Americanized. Not bad if you don't know better.

-Mike
Can you by chance recommend a GOOD Italian restaurant?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmweeza View Post
Can you by chance recommend a GOOD Italian restaurant?
I've been to Pellegrinos once and quite liked it. I can't speak for everything on the menu but what I and my fiancee had was good
Lunch - Pellegrinos Italian Kitchen

Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 AM

436 posts, read 570,455 times
This thread is relevant to my interest as we are hoping to move to Olympia some time this year if our house sells for enough. It ticked most of our likes when we went scouting in Washington last year. That being said we would really really miss having great local restaurants within driving distance. We avoid chains like the plague and we are unreasonably picky eaters.
But the view and nature will more than make up for having to cook all the time.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Most will find something they like... the chains have really increased but there are still old favorites...

I know it is a little out of the way but we had a birthday and went to Alderbrook... it was July and the perfect day, ambiance, service and venue... there was lots going on outside with a fire pit and music and just people having a really great time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington