Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would Miami be classified as
Subtropical 5 29.41%
Tropical 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, they do. The average is around 1 day per year with a max temp below 60F. Because of that I think Miami is more borderline tropical.
Yes, but I put it in the same category as northern Cuba and northern Bahamas, basically tropical, but prone to the odd cold event. They all basically have the same climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Yes, but I put it in the same category as northern Cuba and northern Bahamas, basically tropical, but prone to the odd cold event. They all basically have the same climate.

But how often would Havana or Nassau have a high temp below 60F? Only a couple years ago Miami had a winter with 10 days that had a high temp below 60F. Nassau and Cuba are more tropical as they would never record low temp in the 20'sF, unlike Miami and S. Florida.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 AM

361 posts, read 837,113 times
Miami has the perfect weather for me ...
Never too hot, never too cold, lot of sunshine, not so brutal humid/dry season (better than other monsoon climates like Darwin for instance).
I would give it an A+, the only problem is the cold snaps during winter but they are very short.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Continental tropical along the likes of southern China and northern Vietnam. There!

Miami is tropical. You can't seriously look at anyone straight in the face and say Miami is not tropical when places like Hanoi, Vietnam are BELOWthe Tropic of Cancer and still considered tropical. Miami is much warmer than Hanoi and both are sea level locations, except Miami is 25°N and Hanoi is 21°N.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,664,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Continental tropical along the likes of southern China and northern Vietnam. There!

Miami is tropical. You can't seriously look at anyone straight in the face and say Miami is not tropical when places like Hanoi, Vietnam are BELOWthe Tropic of Cancer and still considered tropical. Miami is much warmer than Hanoi and both are sea level locations, except Miami is 25°N and Hanoi is 21°N.
Hanoi has a subtropical climate.

I can easily look someone straight in the face on a January day where the high is 9C and tell them it is not tropical.... Talk about spoiling a vacation.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Hanoi has a subtropical climate.

I can easily look someone straight in the face on a January day where the high is 9C and tell them it is not tropical.... Talk about spoiling a vacation.
Weather History for Miami, FL | Weather Underground
Which is why I'm saying people are too hung up about Miami's cold snaps. Hanoi can grow coconut palms and it's climate is similar to Miami's, except the temp deviation is smaller. Hanoi's January is almost always between 60 and 80. Miami's is more 55 to 85. If you were to draw a line that defines tropical as south of it, subtropical north of it; Hanoi is straddling the north side of the line, and Miami right across the fence to the south. My opinion, if it can grow coconut palms, then it's tropical; I don't care if it's 1°F too cool to be tropical. To me, vegetation is a better indicator of what constitutes a climate

Old 03-17-2014, 04:06 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which is why I'm saying people are too hung up about Miami's cold snaps. Hanoi can grow coconut palms and it's climate is similar to Miami's, except the temp deviation is smaller. Hanoi's January is almost always between 60 and 80. Miami's is more 55 to 85. If you were to draw a line that defines tropical as south of it, subtropical north of it; Hanoi is straddling the north side of the line, and Miami right across the fence to the south. My opinion, if it can grow coconut palms, then it's tropical; I don't care if it's 1°F too cool to be tropical. To me, vegetation is a better indicator of what constitutes a climate

Hanoi in winter looks terrible for a tropical climate. High temp in the 60's, lows in the 50'sF, and almost no sun. Miami def looks better than that. However, Hanoi with a record low of 42F does a lot better than Miami in that regard.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Hanoi in winter looks terrible for a tropical climate. High temp in the 60's, lows in the 50'sF, and almost no sun. Miami def looks better than that. However, Hanoi with a record low of 42F does a lot better than Miami in that regard.
Well what's a tropical climate supposed to look and be like? Everybody seems to have Aruba in their mind when it comes to tropical climates during the winter

Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,293 times
I think its Humid Subtropical (with some tropical influences), cooler than most Tropical climates, and it gets yearly freezes.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
I think its Humid Subtropical (with some tropical influences), cooler than most Tropical climates, and it gets yearly freezes.
So is tropical the only climate where it has to be firmly within the tropical limits? Sounds like more stereotypes to me. Is Tampico, Mexico subtropical then because it has snowed there before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather