Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times

Advertisements

And what are the mechanisms that underlie them?

One pattern I see is what I asked about in this thread.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post32834445 A transition from winter to summer rain going inland West to East, as the influence of winter/spring fronts from the ocean weakens and summer Gulf moisture increases. Going further east across the Great Plains, the summer rain rises as the subtropical high (which would normally suppress rain) is weaker compared to the west too.

Another kind is moving north to south (or vice versa in the southern hemisphere) through the horse latitudes where you go from Med. climate to deserts with sparse rainfall all year round dominated by the subtropical ridge, and then past that back into a non-arid zone, but with summer rain/monsoon on this other side. For example, San Diego/Tijuana going into the desert of Baja California gets drier, and then to the more central and southerly parts of Mexico. Tijuana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Mexicali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Hermosillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Within this type of transition, it's cool to see zones where winter rainfall and summer rainfall can transition by having two peaks occur with each influence still there (eg. a climate that gets westerly fronts in winter and also influence from the monsoon); I'm guessing this is what goes on with Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or, for example, in the Asian continent Lahore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any other examples of transitional "types"? I find it interesting how some transitions seem to happen with a double peak (eg. frontal rain makes a winter peak still happen while the summer peak comes in to play too, with the intermediate seasons drier) while other transitions seem to not have this "double peak". Some can be gradual transitions with no "double peak" (eg. where say December is the wettest transitioning to March being the wettest transitioning to May being the wettest etc.) Or perhaps winter peak transitions into negligible amount of rain year round in a dry desert before the summer peak arrives, with no overap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 AM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times
Here's an old thread. Anyone care to comment?

I still find it interesting that some climates are transitions between summer and winter maxes of precipitation.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
My Oceanic climate has monthly rainfall that increases consistently up to a August peak (164 mm), and decreases just as smoothly down to a February minimum (79mm) The increases in high pressure (extending further south)and slow down in polar fronts is the reason why. The area is still prone to Northerly rain systems during summer.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:47 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Summer rain maximum in NSW southeast coast (Sydney, Wollongong, Bateman's Bay) "transitions" into winter rain max as you go inland NSW to places like Wagga Wagga and Albury.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM

108 posts, read 98,315 times
South Africa has a transitional zone here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_E...hy_and_climate

Old 11-06-2016, 07:23 PM

Barcelona is also "confused" when it comes to its summer/winter rainfall pattern. July is the driest month but yet February is also rather drier (and receives less precipitation than August).

Old 11-07-2016, 07:01 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
The mid coast of the SE US has this phenomenon. New Orleans has precipitation maximums in summer and winter.

The further south you go, the precip maximums tend to be in summer, however (Miami). From Houston to New Orleans is the sweet spot where arctic fronts stall out in the winter, unloading their rain and also where tropical systems can hit in the summer. For a city like Miami, the fronts usually can't make it that far south. For a city like Dallas, the fronts simply blast past the city so the winter is relatively dry as is the summer. In Dallas, the max precip values occur in the spring/fall when the fronts stall out near Dallas. Ironically that's when New Orleans has its "dry seasons" because the fronts can't make it down there anymore but there isn't enough humidity or tropical moisture yet. Very interesting.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:34 PM

Sydney peaks in February and also in June. I think Barcelona does too (in a summer and winter month)

I didn't get what the OP meant at first. I thought he was talking about climates that "transition" from winter peak to summer peak (or vice versa) as one goes to a different direction. Now I finally get this thread.

He could've easily titled this "climates that have a rainfall peak in summer and winter" and be done with it. Not sure why he made the title so complicated and unclear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather