Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Sydney Oceanic or Humid Subtropical?
Oceanic 7 16.28%
Humid Subtropical 36 83.72%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,093 times

Advertisements

Sydney's warmest month's average temperature is certainly above 22°C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Sydney's warmest month's average temperature is certainly above 22°C.
And yet it is cooler in the summer than subtropical places in the US southeast, but does not have its cold snaps either. I would say Sydney is extremely comfortable overall.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
And yet it is cooler in the summer than subtropical places in the US southeast, but does not have its cold snaps either. I would say Sydney is extremely comfortable overall.
It has been said before, Sydney is basically a wetter San Diego.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times
its oceanic because its climate is (heavily) dictated by its proximity to the ocean. the further inland you go, the drier and more extreme it gets. it may look humid subtropical, but its oceanic.

personally though i think it is both. its hard to have a place that is warm and wet and not at least call it subtropical.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Sydney is Humid subtropical. The reason it gets low dewpoints, is because of the desert, not cold ocean temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Oceanic climates tend to be cooler, if the lows of sydney where its high and its record lows where it's average low than it would be oceanic.
Incorrect. I live in an Oceanic climate, and despite being 9 degrees further south than Sydney, my highs are much warmer than Sydney's lows. Places at my latitude also have record lows equal to Sydney. Take an oceanic climate almost at Sydney's latitude, like Auckland at 36"S , and temperatures are only 2C colder in all months
Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
Warm oceanic (warm temperate)
Or subtropical rainforest?
Warm temperate is a meaningless distinction, that doesn't say anything useful about a climate.

Quote:
humid subtropical for me, I can't fathom the idea that it would be in the same category as Amsterdam. I don't picture Sydney as an overcast place where a raincoat is needed half of the year and where you spend summers in long pants.
Sydney is at 33 degrees of latitude, compared to Amsterdam at 52 degrees of latitude, so they obviously aren't going to get the same sort of weather. Even climates within the same group, aren't going to feel the same - my climate doesn't feel like Amsterdam either.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 PM

Sure but being at 33 degrees it can hardly be oceanic to begin with because it's gonna be too warm and sunny overall. I would say Sydney has a moderated type of Humid Subtropical climate.

That said, when most people think of Humid subtropical, they think of Atlanta, just like most people think of Dublin as the prototype of the oceanic climate. You can't avoid stereotypes because most people live in the Northern Hemisphere.

Or maybe i'll call it a desert-influenced oceanic climate !

Old 09-22-2015, 01:14 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Sure but being at 33 degrees it can hardly be oceanic to begin with because it's gonna be too warm and sunny overall. I would say Sydney has a moderated type of Humid Subtropical climate.

That said, when most people think of Humid subtropical, they think of Atlanta, just like most people think of Dublin as the prototype of the oceanic climate. You can't avoid stereotypes because most people live in the Northern Hemisphere.

Or maybe i'll call it a desert-influenced oceanic climate !
NZ has Oceanic climates at 34C, so Sydney could be Oceanic .... if the dynamics were completely different.

There's nothing moderated about Sydney. It's what could be expected given it's geographical location.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:29 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:

Personally, I think of Brisbane and London as the typical climates for those classifications.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
The precipitation pattern and amount is decidedly oceanic as well- most Cfa s have a distinctly wetter summer or winter, even if they aren't marked enough to make a Cs or Cw classification. Sydney has an early spring minimum and autumn maximum with no notably dry months (though I'm sure it's had individual very dry months), just like most of England.
Eastern North American Cfa climates mostly don't have a seasonal rainfall pattern, less so than some of England.

Quote:
Now the non-oceanic traits. The record highs are more typical of a desert or warm Mediterranean climate, and the 20C difference between average and record summer highs is notable. But, worth noting that Christchurch has hit 40C in a definitely oceanic climate, at a much higher latitude a long way from any deserts. So have parts of Germany.
Again, Southern US Cfa climates don't have a big summer average high - summer record high difference. Though yes, Sydney's record suggest a climate prone to dry heat.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
NZ has Oceanic climates at 34C, so Sydney could be Oceanic .... if the dynamics were completely different.

There's nothing moderated about Sydney. It's what could be expected given it's geographical location.
it's moderated compared to other climates in the same classification. It never gets cold and the average high is relatively low. The only extreme event seems to be the heatwaves. Obviously it is what it is because of the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather