Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one can grow more subtropical vegetation?
Juneau 4 30.77%
Pittsburgh 8 61.54%
Both similarly 1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 09:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
Yeah, they do, especially if the winters are as cold as Juneau's. Juneau's summers are just too cold for needles and minors.
You could possibly grow them in the Ketchikan area, at the southernmost regions of the SE Alaska panhandle. Again, relatively low summer temps could be a problem.

Just because a plant is hardy to say -5F and your winter temp never gets that low doesn't mean the plant will grow. That's my experience with bamboo in Juneau. Besides some of the Fargesia species, forget it. They just won't size up during the short, cool summer and eventually will die during winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 02:41 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climatepolice48 View Post
Juneau can grow needle palms, they don’t require summer heat.
One thing I notice about hardy palms is they do better in more wet climates.

I notice dry and windy weather really damages palms no matter what the temp is.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:21 PM

395 posts, read 80,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
One thing I notice about hardy palms is they do better in more wet climates.

I notice dry and windy weather really damages palms no matter what the temp is.
I think it’s true, they planted sabal minor in St. Louis it did well, it got windy and dry sometimes but not as bad as when they some in Denver which was way drier. Not all died there but surely more than St. Louis.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:22 PM

395 posts, read 80,288 times
Juneau is 7a but since it lacks summer heat it is harder to grow them. Also I noticed Juneau is in a cool temperate ecoregion while Pittsburgh warm temperate one, obviously shows which one lacks heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather