Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,853,426 times

Advertisements

Let's see how my area did!

KDNL: down to 47 F
KTBR: down to 39 F (huge overperformace! forecast was 42 F)
KSAV down to 46 F
KCHS down to 42 F (feels quite different from 91 F, doesn't it?)

In fact much of southern Georgia was below 50 F/10 C this morning!

KLHW down to 42 F
KJES down to 43 F
Special spot KVLD down to 46 F

Did Asheville airport overperform? They did! But it was still a near miss. Down to 34 F there.
KRDU down to 37 F
KRIC also down to 37 F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 12:29 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,426,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Let's see how my area did!

KDNL: down to 47 F
KTBR: down to 39 F (huge overperformace! forecast was 42 F)
KSAV down to 46 F
Just as expected, Augusta Daniel Field shares or holds the top spot while frost hollow Statesboro overperforms.

Speaking of Augusta Daniel Field, I've been meaning to tell you! They have now set a new all-time record for earliest last frost of January 22, which is exactly what I want to see after last year.
Quote:
KCHS down to 42 F (feels quite different from 91 F, doesn't it?)
Indeed. Still a smaller change than the similarly apart -5C lows and 25-28C highs this January, the unrelenting stable heat of Southeast US summer is on its way!
Quote:
In fact much of southern Georgia was below 50 F/10 C this morning!

KLHW down to 42 F
KJES down to 43 F
Special spot KVLD down to 46 F
More southern Georgia places:

-Albany Airport down to 7C
-Tifton Airport down to 8C
-Moultrie Airport down to 8C
-Waycross Airport down to 7C
-Alma Airport down to 6C (I've always suspected Alma Airport might be a bit of a cold hole because of days like today)

For more special spot Valdosta readings, Valdosta Moody Air Force Base also got to 8C and Valdosta West Lowndes County KGAVALDO5 got to 9C. Looks like there was some factor lessening usual differences, Moody Air Force Base is usually around 1-2C warmer than the airport in these conditions and West Lowndes County usually 2-3C warmer.
Quote:
Did Asheville airport overperform? They did! But it was still a near miss. Down to 34 F there.
KRDU down to 37 F
KRIC also down to 37 F
I was seriously nail biting for Asheville this morning, good to see they had a near miss instead.

Some more places in Virginia and North Carolina. Most of these are cold holes so I was expecting them to overperform like Asheville, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

-Dulles Airport down to 1C
-Norfolk Airport down to 5C
-New Bern Airport down to 3C
-Wilmington Airport down to 4C
-Fayetteville Airport down to 4C

Too bad this cold front didn't happen on May 1 instead, that would make for some funny May record lows for all these places.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:03 PM

121 posts, read 83,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Just as expected, Augusta Daniel Field shares or holds the top spot while frost hollow Statesboro overperforms.

Speaking of Augusta Daniel Field, I've been meaning to tell you! They have now set a new all-time record for earliest last frost of January 22, which is exactly what I want to see after last year.

Indeed. Still a smaller change than the similarly apart -5C lows and 25-28C highs this January, the unrelenting stable heat of Southeast US summer is on its way!

More southern Georgia places:

-Albany Airport down to 7C
-Tifton Airport down to 8C
-Moultrie Airport down to 8C
-Waycross Airport down to 7C
-Alma Airport down to 6C (I've always suspected Alma Airport might be a bit of a cold hole because of days like today)

For more special spot Valdosta readings, Valdosta Moody Air Force Base also got to 8C and Valdosta West Lowndes County KGAVALDO5 got to 9C. Looks like there was some factor lessening usual differences, Moody Air Force Base is usually around 1-2C warmer than the airport in these conditions and West Lowndes County usually 2-3C warmer.

I was seriously nail biting for Asheville this morning, good to see they had a near miss instead.

Some more places in Virginia and North Carolina. Most of these are cold holes so I was expecting them to overperform like Asheville, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

-Dulles Airport down to 1C
-Norfolk Airport down to 5C
-New Bern Airport down to 3C
-Wilmington Airport down to 4C
-Fayetteville Airport down to 4C

Too bad this cold front didn't happen on May 1 instead, that would make for some funny May record lows for all these places.
Maybe non-airport stations would be a better option than airport stations. how things have evolved thus far IMO but nice info there

Old 04-23-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankong2010 View Post
Maybe non-airport stations would be a better option than airport stations. how things have evolved thus far IMO but nice info there
Thanks, glad to be informative.
I concur completely that non-airport, non-cold hole stations are vastly superior to airport stations. The problem is that not every weather.gov forecast office does, so I have no choice but to stick with the cold hole airports for long term data.

This is most of why I so appreciate the substantial WeatherSTEM network in Tallahassee. They may not be going as long as the airport, but many of the stations are approaching a decade of data, and with the Tallahassee Airport being the extreme cold hole it is, you couldn't ask for a better city to put a lot of non-cold hole longer running stations.
Additionally, the fact that Tallahassee Airport has the minimum temperature anomaly trio of studies done on it does give plausible explanations for why some of the other airports are cold holes. It's one of the worst monitoring cold holes most of the time, but the byproducts of it being a cold hole are most helpful.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:44 PM

121 posts, read 83,208 times
Quote:
Thanks, glad to be informative.
I concur completely that non-airport, non-cold hole stations are vastly superior to airport stations. The problem is that not every weather.gov forecast office does, so I have no choice but to stick with the cold hole airports for long term data.

This is most of why I so appreciate the substantial WeatherSTEM network in Tallahassee. They may not be going as long as the airport, but many of the stations are approaching a decade of data, and with the Tallahassee Airport being the extreme cold hole it is, you couldn't ask for a better city to put a lot of non-cold hole longer running stations.
Additionally, the fact that Tallahassee Airport has the minimum temperature anomaly trio of studies done on it does give plausible explanations for why some of the other airports are cold holes. It's one of the worst monitoring cold holes most of the time, but the byproducts of it being a cold hole are most helpful.
wow

Old 04-24-2024, 06:58 PM

Special spot Valdosta Airport had quite the overperformance today. 27C forecast, 29C actual high.

In 6 days I can finally find out just how toasty April 2024 will have been for it and the rest of the Southeast US. Can't wait.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I figured this might be a good thread to make on its own since a lot of these discussions get bogged up in the seasonal, etc threads. This will be my thread to report everything on Southeast US weather monitoring (heat monitoring, cold and frost monitoring, rain monitoring, severe weather monitoring, etc), and anyone is welcome to join in.

To start it off, besides just current reporting, I will be writing some summaries for how the special spot monitoring was this season, in the same way as I wrote this one.
I was a little too hasty in writing this summary and that for Valdosta Airport, should've waited for today. But finally all the data is in and my predictions of a great April were bang on.

To amend the necessary criteria with April 2024 data:

1) The average of all 7 months from October 2023-April 2024 is 1.2C above average.
3) The average of all the cold extremes from October 2023-April 2024 is 2C above normal, all months but bang-on average December were above normal in this regard.
4) The average of all the heat extremes from October 2023-April 2024 is 1.1C above normal, all months but bang-on average October and February were above average and January even tied the all-time record high.
6) A slightly wetter than usual April gives a total October-April rainfall total 120mm above average.

I so hope 2024 is a good full calendar year for Charleston Airport. As much as I am grateful for 2023 alone, it would be pretty awesome to get TWO in a row.

Today is also nostalgia day (encompassing not just Charleston Airport but the Southeast US weather monitoring as a whole) for having monitored good to great April 2023.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 04-30-2024 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I guess I ought to do a preliminary report on special spot Valdosta Airport. This report will only be for 2024 so far instead of the full season (because it was ripped off from a December 31 first frost at the end of November and so the full season wasn't entirely good), but all of 2024's criteria meeting makes up for that, and I'm optimistic that this will be the first good full calendar year for it since 2020.

1) January-March have all been at least 1.5C above average and as much as 2.8C above average, all 3 averaging to 2C above average.
2) Like Charleston Airport, last frost February 20, and a bonus 1 month frost-free period between January 21 and February 20. Plus, for Valdosta Airport, this is the earliest in 12 years.
3) Coldest temperature of the season 1.8C above normal (-4C vs -5.8C). Averaging it out with February and March gives an average of cold extremes 2.3C above normal, and April doesn't seem like it will get below 6C, so that would make the cold extremes 3.2C above normal.
4) This is the very reason Valdosta Airport is a special spot, and it delivered fabulously. 29C in January to tie the all-time record high, 28C in February (while pretty much exactly the usual maximum, that is the figure that made me realize the heat it's capable of), and a tropical March with 32C - best of all, the winter part had the 32C and averaged tropical.
Averaging out to 1.9C above normal.
5) All this happened in 11 days between January 17-27:

1/17: 8/-4C
1/18: 13/-2C
1/19: 22/4C
1/20: 9/-2C
1/21: 9/-3C
1/22: 19/1C
1/23: 20/13C
1/24: 27/17C
1/25: 28/20C
1/26: 27/19C
1/27: 29/19C

6) January-April rainfall total is already 17mm above normal thanks to the April soak, even if there is no rain for the rest of April this box is checked.

Overall 2024 is looking like a combination of the 2015 and 2020 that I so regret not monitoring Valdosta Airport for. And if it keeps that up to the end, that will make up for the 3 or more ripoffs I have seen from it in 2021, 2022, and 2023.
Quote:
Special spot Valdosta Airport had quite the overperformance today. 27C forecast, 29C actual high.

In 6 days I can finally find out just how toasty April 2024 will have been for it and the rest of the Southeast US. Can't wait.
Today I have both the data to amend that summary and answer my question! The amended summary is as follows:

1) January-April average out to 2C above normal, from 1.5C above average in February to 2.8C above average in March. And April was no letdown for heat monitoring - an average high of over 28C which was hotter than both April 2015 and 2020!
3) Cold extremes average out to 2.3C above normal, from 1.8C above normal in January to 2.9C above normal in February.
4) Heat extremes average out to 1.4C above normal, from bang-on average in April to 3.1C above average in January. And I am extremely grateful for that 32C in March as well, it replicates the 32C in March 2020 I so regret not monitoring.
6) No more April rain, but of course this box is checked.

And it also looks like March and April share the same 32C monthly maximum, just like I predicted. Looks nice on the weatherbox.

I can't say enough how much I can't wait to see whether or not 2024 will be a full good year for Valdosta Airport. So far my 2015/2020 combo prediction is being borne out, it is starting off more like 2020 for temperature but more like 2015 for rainfall.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:57 AM

Summary time for very very very fabulous Nahunta!

1) All months above normal and most well above normal. From .6C above normal in October to 4.4C above normal in December and January, they average out to 2.7C above normal.
2) First frost December 20, last frost January 21, both in fact setting all time records for latest/earliest.
3) Coldest temperature of the winter 4.3C above normal, and cold extremes as a whole average out to 3.7C above normal, from +2.5C in October to 5.8C in February.
4) All months but October (-2.1C) had heat extremes around or above the usual, even setting the all-time record high for January of 30C - however, I might be willing to let October slide somewhat because the 31C it missed was reached in December. They average out to 1.2C above average.
5) The following 1 week happened between January 21-28:

1/21: 7/-3C
1/22: 18/-2C
1/23: 19/12C
1/24: 26/16C
1/25: 29/18C
1/26: 28/19C
1/27: 29/18C
1/28: 30/17C

6) October-April rainfall total 115mm above normal.

Also special spot Asheville Airport has rain forecast all week long. There would probably be some nice drought-preventing soakers in there.

Old Today, 03:24 AM

Time for the report on special spot Gainesville Airport. I know BullochResident will appreciate this too.

1) Most months were very close to normal (April -.5C, October and February bang on average, and November +.5C), with December, January, and March ranging from +1-1.7C. Overall close to normal, averaging out to +.6C above average.
2) Second only to frost-free 1949-50 for short duration - January 17 first frost and January 21 last frost with the latter being a new all-time earliest record. Plus January 17 was very close to the record January 18 2022 first frost nostalgia day.
3) Coldest temperature of the season of -1C being +4.1C and again second only to frost-free 1949-50 for mildest. All other cold extremes ranged from +.7C above normal in October and November to +2.4C above average in February to be overall 1.9C above average.
4) Heat extremes ranged from bang-on average in October, March, and April to +2.5C in November, for overall being +.8C above average. I should give special shoutouts to November (32C made Gainesville a hot spot, nice to see on weatherbox, second hottest November high ever), January (29C repeated the January 2 2022 29C nostalgia day I remember monitoring), and February (29C makes it the 9th consecutive February to have an above-normal heat extreme).
5) The following 12 days happened between January 17-28:

1/17: 12/0C
1/18: 16/1C
1/19: 22/7C
1/20: 13/2C
1/21: 11/-1C
1/22: 21/3C
1/23: 23/15C
1/24: 27/16C
1/25: 28/17C
1/26: 27/18C
1/27: 29/16C
1/28: 21/11C

6) Rainfall was 119mm above usual.

All things considered this is Gainesville Airport's 4th consecutive overall good monitoring season and 3rd consecutive good one that I've monitored - no bad seasons even in the faces of so many other ripoffs. And I hope this special spot shining star can deliver some more on that.

Last edited by Can't think of username; Today at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather