Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 PM

170 posts, read 38,349 times

Advertisements

Well, this may sound crazy. Many prefer to use 0°C isotherm, but what if in this case to make it more extreme we use the -3°C one(find cities that average between -3°C and 0°C in coldest month but above 22°C in warmest). Since this cities are subtropical under some classification lets see what we can do about that. What if we look for some cities and look for their hardiness zones and what palm trees and other subtropical or even tropical species we could plant on them. I recently discovered that Cleveland, OH is in USDA hardiness zone 7a now, that opens the doors for windmill palms, and possibly even pindo palm. The only palms that I commonly know that are being grown there are Sabal minor hardy to zone 6, Needle palms hardy to zone 5, and Mazari palm hardy to zone 6. Crape Myrtles(a plant native to Southeast Asia mainly, tropical native) most of them, are hardy to zone 6 in Cleveland I know 3 types being grown Muskogee Crape myrtle, Red Dynamite Crape Myrtle, and White Crape Myrtle. Also Albizzia Julibrissin an invasive species in US, native to East Asia is invasive to many areas in US, in Cleveland is not really and it is planted there; being hardy to sone 6 the Albizzia does very well in Cleveland.

Now find more cities and plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 07:51 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Well my city, Windsor, zone 6B, 7A in Canada, has a weather station that averages exactly -3C for the coldest winter month average, and 23.6C in its warmest month, Windsor-Riverside. I don’t know of any local palms here, although there are probably a few being tried by area gardeners in select protected sites. I would imagine that they would be able to survive for a few years in a good site along a south facing wall, and maybe a leaf mulch.
We do have a few Southern Magnolias that are quite large, which I’m sure are the hardier hybrids, and lots of Mimosa Trees everywhere. As far as Crape Myrtle, the only ones that I have seen in this area are down in Leamington along their lakefront park on Lake Erie, but they were only a few feet tall, so they must die back in winter here.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Well my city, Windsor, zone 6B, 7A in Canada, has a weather station that averages exactly -3C for the coldest winter month average, and 23.6C in its warmest month, Windsor-Riverside. I don’t know of any local palms here, although there are probably a few being tried by area gardeners in select protected sites. I would imagine that they would be able to survive for a few years in a good site along a south facing wall, and maybe a leaf mulch.
We do have a few Southern Magnolias that are quite large, which I’m sure are the hardier hybrids, and lots of Mimosa Trees everywhere. As far as Crape Myrtle, the only ones that I have seen in this area are down in Leamington along their lakefront park on Lake Erie, but they were only a few feet tall, so they must die back in winter here.
I recomend Sabal minor hardy to zone 6b USDA and 7a Canadian, and I’ve seen it survive in USDA 6a of Youngstown no problem so it should be a good choice. Mazari Palm also hardy to 7a Canadian should do fine too, and Needle palm hardy to USDA 5 zone, even Montreal! Hmmm what about Musa Basjoo banana plant hardy to zone 5? That should be tried. Trifoliate Oranges hardy to zone 5, Ichang papeda hardy to zone 6b, also the citrus hybrids Citrange and Citrandarin hardy to USDA 6b could be tried too, I am not sure about these much but maybe is not a bad idea. Long Island NY managed Jiouyuezao mandarin without protection, it is a pure citrus, crazy it did. I search hardiness of it, and Long Island was actually around the hardiness! Lets not get too exited though. Long Island is not as borderline, borderline places like Windsor, Cleveland, and cities like that it should be more complicated.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:59 PM

DC could easily be a paradise, it is practically far from borderline and it enters the 2.25-12.75°C average coldest month for what I call perfect subtropical range, -3-2.25°C has strong continental leanings, 12.75-18°C strong tropical leanings, -3°C-7.5°C is what I say pre-continental(continental leaning) and 7.5°C pre-tropical(tropical leaning). 2.25(mid of -3°C and 7.5°C)- 12.75(mid of 7.5 and 18°C) is perfect range, which DC already enters it. DC is hardiness zone 8a, like the deep South actually. Atlanta is 8a, and the place I call subtropical paradise Auburn AL is also 8a(though borderline to 8b) In hardiness zone 8a you can start to grow Sabal palmetto, Mexican fan tree, and Chinese palm tree. 7b already brings up European fan tree, Sago palm(a cycad), and Sabal palmetto hardy point is 7b. Also I learned Live oaks are hardy to zone 7, and spanish moss too. I’ve noticed that their native range in US starts in place zone 8b, so 8a is not a bad idea to plant them I guess. Oh and all the citrus hybirds that can be planted there, and also Jiouyuezao mandarin(hardy to 7b), and Changsha mandarin(hardy to 8a). That’s why I go to borderline areas because non borderline areas can be made into paradise no problem.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:13 PM

5,916 posts, read 6,139,800 times
Quote:
Is this mimosa? https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4340...5410&entry=ttu
Here's a couple close-up photos I took in spring 2023.

If so, they exist up in Oakville too.

If there's anywhere that can push palm trees into the sub -3C continental range, I'd expect it's Japan? Ex Sapporo at -3.2C Jan mean and is hardiness zone 7b. Parts of Hokkaido are 8a, even 8b - most of those have coldest month means in the -2.9C to -0.1C range, but maybe one or two towns are USDA 8a *and* <=-3.0C coldest month?

Old 05-08-2024, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

If there's anywhere that can push palm trees into the sub -3C continental range, I'd expect it's Japan? Ex Sapporo at -3.2C Jan mean and is hardiness zone 7b. Parts of Hokkaido are 8a, even 8b - most of those have coldest month means in the -2.9C to -0.1C range, but maybe one or two towns are USDA 8a *and* <=-3.0C coldest month?
Doubt it, I know a city 7.5°C average coldest month practically a perfect subtropical under -3°C-18°C)7.5°C is the mid point) and it is hardiness zone 8a, so I doubt there is 8a with -3°C. Infact a city averages exactly -3°C in the coldest month and is hardiness zone 8a, Rostov-On-Don it is exactly humid subtropical as it is continental and infact I have not found any continental above 8a! But of -3°C for subtropical I found 4b one time! Or if you mean 8a Canadian, in US it’s still hard, infact after 7a it is actually rare!

Old 05-09-2024, 07:23 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Quote:

No, that’s not a Mimosa, I’m not sure what that is.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:03 PM

485 posts, read 97,530 times
Quote:

Nope. This is mimosa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2...New_Jersey.jpg

Old 05-09-2024, 01:16 PM

My city will be Pittsburgh, PA with an average of coldest month around -2°C, so it is practically a borderline to the -3°C we could say. Being in USDA hardiness zone 6b it can grow a few plants. Ilex ops a native to the humid subtropical climate in US including parts of PA, although it is not native to Pittsburgh it is commonly grown and it is hardy down to USDA 4b or 5a so 6b of Pittsburgh is great. Also Albizzia Julibrissin(mimosa) hardy to zone 6 is grown well. Crape Myrtles are becoming more common in Pittsburgh, and some palm species like Sabal minor, needle palm, mazari palm. Musa Basjoo hardy to zone 5 are becoming more common in the state too, along with some southern magnolia hardy to zone 6 USDA. I seems to me that if there is some of the citrus hybrids that could be grown there that would be fun but Idk about zone 6. Trifoliate orange hardy to zone 5 is the only reliable one, the hybrids or other most hardy citrus seem to be 7a USDA or very edge of 6b that enters 7a which is annual mean minimum of 0°F(-18°C). When I find a city USDA 7a many more doors open like live oaks becoming hardy and more palms too like Windmills.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Crape Myrtles are hardy to USDA zone 6, which is Canadian 7a if 6b but since it’s USDA hardiness zone 6a then in Canada if 7a Canadian they would not die they are hardy so can thrive. In KY same hardiness zone as your area they are doing very well and also Sabal minor(Dwarf palmetto) is doing well and growing roots and spreading no protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather