Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,794 times

Advertisements

I've tried researching this one online with not-much luck; hopefully I can find some like-minded souls here to help!

What towns, cities, or crossroads in West Virginia have the biggest and best markets? What's your favourite and (most important) WHY is it so great? Does your block (or one you know) have an annual yard sale event that's fun and does good business? Any similar information would be wonderful, thanks!

I do remember a great big indoor antique/collectibles market, in a huge warehouse, the last time I visited...I'm wondering now if it was in western Maryland actually, but if you can point out one of those for me, great!

I used to make a fair living from recycling things through flea markets, or selling handcrafts and potted flowers, anything really. I also like saving money by avoiding big retailers in favour of picking up a second-hand bargain....and I just love the camaraderie and atmosphere of these things.

Thanks to anyone and everyone for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
The Milton Flea Market just outside of Huntington has always claimed to be the largest indoor flea market in the state. It's pretty nice and has a nice selection both inside and out. There's also a store at the entrance to the flea market called the Halfway Market. The Halfway Market has lots of good produce and Amish products as well.
Milton Flea Market and Halfway Amish Market

Huntington also has a nice farmers market in the Central City area which has some good produce and flowers to offer. The Central City cafe is also supposed to be featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives next weekend which is pretty cool.
Central City Market

These links have information about farmer's markets and fleamarkets statewide.
Search - LocalHarvest
West Virginia flea markets

Hope this helps.
Tim

Old 06-06-2008, 06:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,359 times
Milton Flea Market is probably the largest. Permanent indoor spaces plus outdoor daily people. Milton Flea Market and Halfway Amish Market

Also Capitol Flea Market, Charleston 304) 342-1626
and Flea Markets in West Virginia - Southern West Virginia CVB

Last edited by vec101; 06-06-2008 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks!

I did find a few listings online (after I remembered to call them 'flea markets' and not 'car boot sales' oops) but I so appreciate hearing it from you--I've followed listings before to find a place had been closed up for years, and the listing never updated! ARGH!

I've been to the Harpers Ferry flea market and enjoyed it, but will have to check out the Milton one especially--thanks!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 AM

175 posts, read 564,931 times
There's a pretty decent one near Cedar Lakes in Ripley during the week of the fourth of July. It's sort of an overflow from the Mountain State Arts and Crafts fair. The Arts and Crafts fair at Cedar Lakes is about a week long event and is well worth a day trip.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Arts and Crafts Fair? *heaven* ... and hopefully, I'll BE there that week, so hurrah!

Just in case anyone here enjoys working these things...what sort of items sell well at most of the markets or fairs? What sort of bargains can you pick up, that you might not find elsewhere?

Old 06-06-2008, 01:59 PM

204 posts, read 418,073 times
522 flea market,on the corner of route 340 and 522 near dinasoar land,it's in Virginia,about a 45 minute drive from the Harpers Ferry flea market,oh and also there's an indoor flea market in Halltown about a 5 minute drive from HF flea.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Events going on in kanawha valley (flea markets large and small) get reported in kanawha valley direct, a weekly mailer that comes to the house. subscriptions (304) 348-5142, it should be free.

lily you're going to be up near martinsburg though, right? this local mailer is in charleston area so it might not apply. maybe they have those mailers for martinsburg?

vec- ty for those links!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks, Harborlady! I was hoping there'd be regular newspaper announcements or similar, and I'm glad to hear so.

We're actually looking for something more central, very probably Clarksburg or Elkins and their surrounding areas. I'm a writer and my daughter's an artist and Elkins certainly has an artsy reputation to draw our attention. But then there's Grafton, with its Mother's Day Shrine (I'm so under-appreciated), or Keyser with its proximity to family in Maryland...or Weston (who can resist a Lunatic Asylum?...and I may well need it someday)

My father loved driving and my mother loved flea markets, so I got used to being driven long distances to flea markets every weekend ... Surely don't mind hearing about the good ones in the southern half of the state!

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:45 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times
Touch base with some locals in those areas- see if you can't ask them about the ad-mailers that come to their houses. These papers aren't online as far as I can tell. Traditional print ad format.

Laughin at myself- your long distance drives. I used to go driving to blow off steam, clear my head back when gas was cheaper. Drove out to montauk pt NY. Wasn't enough. Turned around, started driving west with loaded CD player, before I knew it I saw the sign for ohio. Maybe I went a little too far that time! hahahaha
Hey, I had a lot on my mind! Forrest Gump moment for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia