Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 PM

287 posts, read 593,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I shouldn't be, but I'm amazed how many of you think this is a great idea. IMO the newspaper has just provided a shopping list for every criminal and sleazeball in the area. How are you folks going to feel when the gun owner actually has to use that gun on some jacka$$ who breaks into their house trying to steal the gun? With the twisted logic I'm reading here you'll absolve the criminal and blame the gun owner...sort of like blaming the rape victim because she was wearing a short dress.

I bet this will tick some of you off - Sauce for the goose or, home address and phone number of Journal-News publisher | For What It’s Worth

That was published in reaction to the original article. I thought it was pretty clever.
Dockside,

I strongly agree. This sets a dangerous precedent. Good news is: outside of the Liberal Northeast and California the whole country is outraged over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So, despite your name, you're not really a libertarian. You just want to lash out becuase gun owners have been listed. Very high-minded of you.
So sticking up for our privacy and asking that people do not get singled out makes me a what?

It's the essence of a Libertarian to not allow people to be harassed or persecuted based on individual preference that is not infringing on anyone's liberty.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Thats always been the case. People who fear the world around them are the ones with the "no trespassing" signs, the bars on the window, and the gunsand/or the angry guard dgs. Generally nuts. A much better fit in Alaska.
Ok but you speak nothing of how you use every national tragedy as an excuse to ban firearms, sharp objects, and soups with too much sodium in it.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmom View Post
Amazing - I had no idea you don't need a permit for a rifle or a shotgun.

I think this kind of map is completely within reason. I personally wouldn't want my child playing at a house with guns. - although unfortunately, as willow wind pointed out, this only reports on hand guns.

BTW, if you want a good reason to not have a gun in your house:
(from a report on guns and children in the US by the Children's Defense Fund: http://www.childrensdefense.org/chil...-guns-2012.pdf)
"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates nearly two million children live in homes with loaded, unlocked guns. "
There's the key. Only an idiot leaves loaded weapons lying around for children to use. I was raised in a home full of weapons, but I was trained to respect them at an early age, and to NEVER go near them without my father's permission. When I was old enough, I had my own weapon and was taught to never show it off, treat it as a toy, and how to care for it.

You cannot legislate against stupid, folks. Never could.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times
The fact is that America is a gun crazy society, and has the most gun-related deaths in the world by a HUGE margin. There are actually countries where only the police and the criminals have guns and (*gasp!*) there are FEWER gun deaths! Yes that's right! Fewer guns and fewer people killed by guns! Amazing!

So why is it that people are calling for MORE guns? LOOK AROUND AMERICA! There are other countries doing it better. Are you going to lean on this "it's our history" or "I believe in the second amendment" crap when it's YOUR child that is killed by someone on a rampage at the mall/in school/in church/in your own home with your own gun???

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
A crazy number of guns in the hands of the general public don't make America great! Neither does our obesity rate and teenage pregnancy rate. All currently American cultural characteristics, none of them anything to be proud of.

Control all of them and you'd still have America, no need to hold up the hem of your skirts.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
It's largely a class thing, I think (owning guns). Even looking at the map, you see very few people packing in Rye and Larchmont. Maybe it's because we live in safe areas...or all have security systems anyway, but still, the only people I know that have guns tend to be blue collar or from the south.

So to those from other countries, all of the people in the US are not a bunch of gun packing paranoid freaks, I swear. But I do think that even without guns we would have higher rates of violent crime. We are a bunch of self righteous SOBs in this country that have much less respect for others, family, values and human life than many other civilized countries (except whenever a tragedy happens...then we get nice for a while).

Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
The fact is that America is a gun crazy society, and has the most gun-related deaths in the world by a HUGE margin. There are actually countries where only the police and the criminals have guns and (*gasp!*) there are FEWER gun deaths! Yes that's right! Fewer guns and fewer people killed by guns! Amazing!

So why is it that people are calling for MORE guns? LOOK AROUND AMERICA! There are other countries doing it better. Are you going to lean on this "it's our history" or "I believe in the second amendment" crap when it's YOUR child that is killed by someone on a rampage at the mall/in school/in church/in your own home with your own gun???
Nobody is calling for more guns except the crazy NRA. Which, is a lobbyist group; and nobody should forget that.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
It's largely a class thing, I think (owning guns). Even looking at the map, you see very few people packing in Rye and Larchmont. Maybe it's because we live in safe areas...or all have security systems anyway, but still, the only people I know that have guns tend to be blue collar or from the south.

So to those from other countries, all of the people in the US are not a bunch of gun packing paranoid freaks, I swear. But I do think that even without guns we would have higher rates of violent crime. We are a bunch of self righteous SOBs in this country that have much less respect for others, family, values and human life than many other civilized countries (except whenever a tragedy happens...then we get nice for a while).
Agreed. And that's really what it comes down to. I feel like everyone is focusing so much on the tool instead of the *cause* of these incidents.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
The NRA may be a lobbyist group, but their members are actual people (and often slightly unstable ones at that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County