Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 PM

65 posts, read 146,224 times

Advertisements

That's good to know.
Yes true. As India Pakistan etc have been ex colonies there was a lot of racism in the past in England ( I grew up in Amsterdam Holland by the way)but that was a good few generations ago. Now most of the discrimination is against Eastern Europeans like Romanians and Bulgarians and Polish as in bad Economic times the borders are opening up to those countries under European Union Law.

we tried to unite Europe like the United States with a single currency and Ecomomic Unity. So far it is miserably failing. Benefitting mainly the poorer nations and hugely bringing down the wealthier ones. But that is a whole different discussion.

Thanks for your posts. They have given me a much better view and comparison to London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,584,375 times
Tally ho. Is there no London board mates? Cheers.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM

55 posts, read 134,734 times
My pleasure. Once again, check the following towns:

Scarsdale
Rye
Greenwich, Ct

I'd skip Bronxville.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 PM

425 posts, read 1,215,749 times
How old are your children? The Bronxville School is small and is mostly white protestant/catholic. That would be my only concern - otherwise you will be find in every town. Best public schools south of white plains save Bronxville are Rye, Scarsdale, Edgemont (part of Scarsdale). Ardsely also excellent. Pelham and Mamaroneck are fine too -- as is Hastings and Irvington. New Rochelle is very large and diverse and a big mix of kids -- some from poorer areas.

Def. avoid Yonkers and Mount Vernon at all costs as well as Tuckahoe & Woodlands (Hartsdale)...Not sure if Easthchester or Dobbs Ferry would be the place for your family either due to lack of diversity and more blue collar mentality/ignorance of the populace.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 PM

65 posts, read 146,224 times
Thanks so much. I am looking at the ardsley and edgemont school districts as there is slight more diversity and a bit less classism than scarsdale school districts. But availability of rental homes in scarsdale is better. I suppose it's simply a bigger town. I will repost again once I get there. But for now the online research carried on.

John70. My oldest is 4. So started school this year here in England. I believe in the states she will go back to kindergarten instead of going to grade. The other two are in nappies.
I need an amazing housekeeper/ nanny as much as I need a school.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM

454 posts, read 766,084 times
Eastchester has a large Asian population-so much so that the elementary schools celebrate Asian holidays, such as 'boy's day' and 'girl's' day.' You wouldn't have any problems there.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM

454 posts, read 766,084 times
Also, Scarsdale is very Jewish-you don't hear too many warm fuzzy musings about Scarsdale. The school district is super pressure cooker (but good.) I think you'd be better off elsewhere, Bronxville or Pelham.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 20,882 times
When people move, they generally also look at the school districts and what they offer for their children. If you don't have any kids than no worries, but if you do then that becomes the first focus for people relocating.

Also, Bronxville is a very small area, much smaller than Scarsdale and much more difficult to find a rental in.

Rental houses tend to be more plentiful in areas where the school districts are strong. Don't limit yourself before driving through the areas.

I always say visit the Starbucks in each town and see if you see yourself living amongst the people you see there. ( I used to say libraries but they aren't very well attended with the internet now).

A good area tour when you come the area is the best way to make your decision.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 PM

I think you are spot on with Edgemont/Ardsley School districts!

Bronxville probably not best bet.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 PM

I need an amazing housekeeper/ nanny as much as I need a school.[/quote]

Check Care.Com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County