Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM

142 posts, read 961,189 times

Advertisements

Considering a few rentals in Scarsdale- Edgewood school, as well as Eastchester- bordering Edgewood area. My son will be entering kindergarten in Sept. What would be major differences in schools- Edgewood vs. Waverly. I know Scarsdale schools are great- but a little worried about snobbiness factor. I believe this is a more down to earth modest neighborhood???? Would i be correct? Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
The kids in the wealthier neighborhoods in Scarsdale refer to Edgewood as "The Hood."

Old 04-26-2008, 05:40 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times
Yeah. It's really not the nicest area and you'll be looked down upon. Lol

If you want modest - Eastchester is where you want to be.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:49 AM

142 posts, read 961,189 times
"the Hood" Are u serious??? Thanks for that info!

Old 04-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Yeah. It's really not the nicest area and you'll be looked down upon. Lol

If you want modest - Eastchester is where you want to be.
Yeah, Eastchester is really modest. The median price of a single-family house last year was over $700,000. One house sold for $2,600,000. Is it Scarsdale? Not even close. But so what.

I think parts of Edgewood are the nicest (not the wealthiest, but the nicest) in Scarsdale. Check out the area north of Carman Road. But no matter how nice it is, you will still be in "The Hood." There are some very superficial people in Scarsdale who would not have bought a a house in "The Hood."

Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,352 times
My SIL lives in Edgewood and loves it. She often has block parties and her neighbors are down to earth and friendly. She is very happy with the elementary school and has made friends with several moms. It may be the "hood" of Scarsdale but its a lovely close-knit neighborhood w/o the snobiness of other Scarsdale areas.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
Default Edgewood

Rubygreta, I am getting a little tired of reading your never-ending insults about Scarsdale. I grew up in Edgewood and moved back there with my own family in 2000. My kids went through Edgewood elementary school as well as the middle and high schools.
Yes, the kids do call Edgewood "The Hood," but it is nothing more than an affectionate nickname. Kids who grow up in Edgewood are proud to say they live there, not embarrassed. Anyone who actually looks at houses in Edgewood can quickly see that it is a lovely neighborhood with absolutely nothing urban or "downscale" about it. Yes, some (not all) of the homes are on smaller lots than elsewhere in Scarsdale, but they are still perfectly nice, well-kept-up homes.
We found our neighbors to be welcoming and very active in the community, not snobbish at all. The neighborhood association is very active and there are several events in Davis Park throughout the year.
I can't compare Edgewood elementary school to the one in Eastchester as I don't know anything about that school. All I can say is that Edgewood is a fine school with excellent teachers.
As kids get older and move into the middle school and high school, yes, they will meet kids from wealthier families who live in large homes or mansions. But still, I found almost all of these families to be perfectly pleasant, not snobbish. I think kids take their cues from the parents, and if you don't focus on material things, the size of your house, or what kind of car you drive, they probably won't, either.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
Rubygreta, I am getting a little tired of reading your never-ending insults about Scarsdale. I grew up in Edgewood and moved back there with my own family in 2000. My kids went through Edgewood elementary school as well as the middle and high schools.
Yes, the kids do call Edgewood "The Hood," but it is nothing more than an affectionate nickname. Kids who grow up in Edgewood are proud to say they live there, not embarrassed. Anyone who actually looks at houses in Edgewood can quickly see that it is a lovely neighborhood with absolutely nothing urban or "downscale" about it. Yes, some (not all) of the homes are on smaller lots than elsewhere in Scarsdale, but they are still perfectly nice, well-kept-up homes.
We found our neighbors to be welcoming and very active in the community, not snobbish at all. The neighborhood association is very active and there are several events in Davis Park throughout the year.
I can't compare Edgewood elementary school to the one in Eastchester as I don't know anything about that school. All I can say is that Edgewood is a fine school with excellent teachers.
As kids get older and move into the middle school and high school, yes, they will meet kids from wealthier families who live in large homes or mansions. But still, I found almost all of these families to be perfectly pleasant, not snobbish. I think kids take their cues from the parents, and if you don't focus on material things, the size of your house, or what kind of car you drive, they probably won't, either.
You did not get my post. I said parts of Edgewood are the most charming areas of Scarsdale. And I have been told by others that the wealthier areas of Scarsdale refer to Edgewood as "The Hood." Personally, I would love to live in a neighborhood that looked like "The Hood."

And be honest. Don't you think there are many people in Scarsdale who when buying a house tell their brokers they do not want to be in the Edgewood elementary school?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 AM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
Default Edgewood

And be honest. Don't you think there are many people in Scarsdale who when buying a house tell their brokers they do not want to be in the Edgewood elementary school?

No, I don't. They may say they don't want to be in the Edgewood NEIGHBORHOOD, but I think that's more to do with wanting bigger houses or a larger lot. And not all of Edgewood's homes are on small lots, anyway. The Arthur Manor section, nearer to the Eastchester border, is the one with the smallest homes that are closest together. The Drake/Edgewood section has bigger homes that often sell for well over a million dollars. Anyone driving through this neighborhood can see that it is highly desirable. Both these neighborhoods go to the Edgewood school, which is actually one of the better-located elementary schools in Scarsdale. It's in a residential area, so many kids are able to walk there safely (there's no school busing to elementary schools in Scarsdale unless you pay for it privately or have a child in special education.) Some of the other schools, like Heathcote, are on very busy streets and it's harder for kids to walk there safely. Parents wind up having to drive their kids to & from school despite living only a few blocks away. I've never heard of anyone saying they didn't want to live in Edgewood because of the quality of the elementary school, if that's what you're implying.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post

No, I don't. They may say they don't want to be in the Edgewood NEIGHBORHOOD, but I think that's more to do with wanting bigger houses or a larger lot. And not all of Edgewood's homes are on small lots, anyway. The Arthur Manor section, nearer to the Eastchester border, is the one with the smallest homes that are closest together. The Drake/Edgewood section has bigger homes that often sell for well over a million dollars. Anyone driving through this neighborhood can see that it is highly desirable. Both these neighborhoods go to the Edgewood school, which is actually one of the better-located elementary schools in Scarsdale. It's in a residential area, so many kids are able to walk there safely (there's no school busing to elementary schools in Scarsdale unless you pay for it privately or have a child in special education.) Some of the other schools, like Heathcote, are on very busy streets and it's harder for kids to walk there safely. Parents wind up having to drive their kids to & from school despite living only a few blocks away. I've never heard of anyone saying they didn't want to live in Edgewood because of the quality of the elementary school, if that's what you're implying.
I will repeat - I think parts of Edgewood are the most beautiful and charming in Scarsdale and perhaps all of lower Westchester County. The problem is the snobs look at Edgewood (particularly the southern end) and think "working class." And they don't want working class for their kids. I am not speaking for myself, I am basing this on what I heard about the attitudes of others. If I were buying a house in Scarsdale I would have zero problem with Edgewood. In fact I would prefer it because of its economic diversity. I'm sure Edgewood kids do just as well as kids from the other elementary schools.

So Karen, I am not putting down Edgewood. However, I believe there are plenty of people in Scarsdale who do put it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County