Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,780 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in northern Florida, moved to Western NC (small town south of Hendersonville) for about 2 years and have since moved to Michigan. I am looking to move back to NC to be near family so I could really use some opinions on the Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk area of Western NC (I didn’t get the chance to see any of these places when I actually live in NC.)

The features that are most important to me are people and atmosphere (I understand it’s smaller towns but I don’t want to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere), jobs (I have a degree in Public Relations and tend to work in the customer service industry), snow and temperature (what can I say I love snow and cold weather!) and any general information you could provide me about the areas besides all the general stuff that seems to run together online. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me make this big decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:53 PM

222 posts, read 936,282 times
If I had a good job in that area, I would live there in a heartbeat. But I think you may feel like you are in the middle of nowhere except in Boone and even that may be cutting it close. Boone is a college town with tourists and Blowing Rock is more touristy. Not a big selection for shopping exists. There is a WalMart, small mall and Lowe's hardward in Boone, outlet center in BR.

That part of NC has more snow and colder temps. Banner Elk is very small and at a higher elevation, therefore it gets more snow and wind. I don't think that area is too similiar to Hendersonville except for the downtown area. H'ville is a bit larger and nicer.

The people in the Boone area are nicer and friendlier, imo, than in Hendersonville.

Does this help?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
BOONE, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

BLOWING ROCK 1 NW, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

BANNER ELK, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,780 times
Default Thanks

Yes the info helps alot! I am planning a trip hopefully next month to check out Boone and I have been reading up on the surronding areas but there is nothing like hearing about it from people that have been and are familiar with the areas!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We recently went through Blowing Rock and Boone. If I were choosing a town in this area, Blowing Rock would be my choice. Ashe County has a lot of cold weather too. There is just something special about Blowing Rock. People seem to really take care of their homes.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
I live in Lenoir. And while I take issue with its "if you ain't kin, you ain't in" attitudes you might consider taking a look at it. It is 18 miles from Blowing Rock and 25 from Boone. The living costs are a fraction. US321 will soon be four lanes.
Besides, it may be on the verge. Walmart is opening two supercenters 10 miles from one another so they apparently are optimistic about Caldwell counties future.
It doesn't get the snow that Boone does but it also doesn't have the congestion.
I was in Boone traffic yesterday.............yuck.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 19,719 times
I've lived outside of Lenoir and I've lived in Boone. There's a world of difference in many, many ways. Boone is a mountain college town, pretty eclectic, active and youthful. Outdoor sports are the norm and there's a fair amount of cultural happenings because of the university. Lenoir is "off" the mountain and is an older mill town that has lost it's mills. The people are friendly, but it has a whole different "vibe". If Boone is "mountain biking", then Lenoir is "Nascar racing". That sort of defines the difference. I love the energy that 14,000 college students bring to the area. Boone and Asheville (feels like a bigger Boone...same vibe) are the only communities that I, personally, would consider in the mountains.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Simplemark has pegged it perfectly.

Moving Back South: Get your job FIRST! You may find a bit of a shock with regard to pay scale and availability of jobs in your field in the communities you've listed. If you haven't already, think outside the box and look at all major employers, not just the "private sector." Contact Appalachian State, Watauga Hospital, Lees-McRae College, Cannon-Sloop Hospital, as well as some of the larger resort communities such as Chetola, Hound Ears, Grandfather CC, Linville Ridge, etc. The Boone Chamber of Commerce might be able to help give you some perspective as well.

Personally, Blowing Rock is a great place to visit, but it can take deep pockets to actually live there, and a corresponding mindset. It has the expected dynamics of wealthy transplants and second home owners vs. natives vs. tourism interests. Makes for interesting town council meetings. A lot of natives, if not for family property, are priced out of the real estate market. My family had a vacation home in Blowing Rock when I was growing up, but when I moved to the High Country in the late 80's, I chose a different area of Watauga County.

Banner Elk has some of the Blowing Rock dynamics, but not nearly as much of the "country club" attitude. IMO, it seems to be a little more "real world" even with the plethora of nearby upscale gated communities. But it also doesn't have as much of a "real downtown" as either Blowing Rock or Boone.

Obviously, all of these communities have their supporters and their detractors. You'll get a feel for what feels "right" for you when you visit. Not everyone can turn their dream of living and working fulltime in the mountains into reality. I wish you success. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina