Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 2,568 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife, toddler son and I are planning a move to the Ashville and or surrounding area. I'm a blue collar guy with a specialty in HVAC so I don't think i'll have that hard of a time finding work. I enjoy the idea of privacy and light homesteading ( chickens and a greenhouse). At the same time I also enjoy being around good company. I was curious if anyone knew of any community's with low key HOAs that aren't out to dictate what I do with my land or home and are rather there to provide rules that promote safety rather then conformity. Aslo I enjoy small living 1000(maybe more) squrefoot home with a very modern feel. Building my home would be preferable.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresmatt View Post
Hello, my wife, toddler son and I are planning a move to the Ashville and or surrounding area. I'm a blue collar guy with a specialty in HVAC so I don't think i'll have that hard of a time finding work. I enjoy the idea of privacy and light homesteading ( chickens and a greenhouse). At the same time I also enjoy being around good company. I was curious if anyone knew of any community's with low key HOAs that aren't out to dictate what I do with my land or home and are rather there to provide rules that promote safety rather then conformity. Aslo I enjoy small living 1000(maybe more) squrefoot home with a very modern feel. Building my home would be preferable.
Thanks!!
What is your price range, how much land are you looking for ? Have you looked on www.Realtor.com ? or any of the large real estate firms' websites? There are many nice subdivisions in the areas around Asheville, however, a subdivision is not what you're describing; have you visited here for any length of time?

However: If you want to keep chickens and have a greenhouse, it is highly unlikely that you would look at anything that has an HOA, even a low key HOA. It is also preferable to not buy here unless you have a job. Maybe you could rent for a year while you get acclimated, especially if you would prefer to build. Best wishes.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 AM

Thanks for replying! My dad has a cabin near Hendersonville and we liked that area a bunch.. and price range will probably be 200k and at least .5 acre's of land, more would be nice. I have checked the major websites and and have found a lot of land for sale at a good price... We are going to try and use the USDA home buyer program.. so there are a few contingencies interms or distance for Ashville. My biggest concern is making sure my family doesn't feel isolated from society. But I also want that feel of being in the woods. I also plan on securing a job before we make the move.. my wife and I are quite the whipper snappers and know and enjoy hard work. So finding work as long as it's there's shouldn't be an issue. Also I'm more talking about a victory garden style and around 4 or 5 chickens.. nothing to crazy.

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Something I forgot to mention were schools. If anyone knows where the best( good rep) schools are that would be some crucial information.. thanks a bunch!

Old 11-05-2018, 12:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresmatt View Post
Thanks for replying! My dad has a cabin near Hendersonville and we liked that area a bunch.. and price range will probably be 200k and at least .5 acre's of land, more would be nice. I have checked the major websites and and have found a lot of land for sale at a good price... We are going to try and use the USDA home buyer program.. so there are a few contingencies interms or distance for Ashville. My biggest concern is making sure my family doesn't feel isolated from society. But I also want that feel of being in the woods. I also plan on securing a job before we make the move.. my wife and I are quite the whipper snappers and know and enjoy hard work. So finding work as long as it's there's shouldn't be an issue. Also I'm more talking about a victory garden style and around 4 or 5 chickens.. nothing to crazy.

Thanks!
You want a 1/2 acre lot ? or a 5.0 acre parcel ? Have you done any searching on Realtor dot com ? that is the best place to start. Sign up for an account (no one will bother you); put in your highest criteria and you can get automatic updates and a lot of excellent information. I would strongly suggest you get a good Realtor and doing some serious looking before deciding on 'where'. Also find a Realtor who has valid experience with USDA sales. The sellers, as you may know, have to agree to a buyer's financing with the USDA because of their regulations and the time it takes to actually take possession of the property. Your dad should be of some great help since he has a place here.

As for schools, your first choice should be Henderson County.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help out at stranger! Your advice is much appreciated. And At least a 1/2 acre lot. And Realtor dot com is pretty amazing don't know why I over looked it. After doing more research I may have to compromise on the chickens to be able to have that community feel. I guess we are now just looking for a subdivision with good reviews for being friendly and easy going. Not sure if that's asking for alot or not ahah. I'm all for things looking nice and neat as long as I can have some individuality.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 AM

789 posts, read 787,507 times
If your dad has property in Hendersonville can't he help with some insight to land at least ? 1/2 acre is only 150 feet by 145 feet !! That's not much land if you need to build a 1000' house plus any porches ? maybe a metal carport and shed or garage to keep the snow ice rain and sun off a your cars , mower, tiller and other yard tools and have room to work on them and room for a gravel drive way , add in a well if your not on city water with 90 feet set back set to a septic system . Room for chickens house and moveable chick pen and a garden area that can be rotated each year to take advantage of the chickens droppings for a nice organic garden !! Maybe you well really need a couple acres ? If you want to be close to DAD then ZILLOW land and or homes around his area to start with and see what you may have an interest in . When you have a job secured then contact a realtor . Might be you find a nice home or one you can improve your self that will fill your needs and save a years rent time !!

You can look up the schools in Henderson county info on line right down to classroom sizes and grade point averages but even in a average school if a child has what it takes to learn they will be taking AO classes maybe in 11 grade but for sure in 12grade . One of our girls only had home room in 12 grade and went off to local community collage for the rest of the day . Were to far from were you want to live to help but in many rural counties its hard to not have friendly neighbors and children and lots of school or after school activities to keep kids busy . Buses pick kids up and drop off at your drive way were we live or at the end of a private road . There are sites to help you find school info. Try the smaller churches out and might be once you meet a few neighbors they may invite you to there church and intro you around .

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.carolinaschoolhub.com/he...schools-nc.cfm

Last edited by Yac; 11-07-2018 at 03:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina