Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM

10 posts, read 32,553 times

Advertisements

I think the instability of the aircraft industry has a lot to do with the negative attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
If you're a single guy, well...let me tell you...this town has the highest rate of single women..even the Wichita Eagle had an article about it.

As for weather, you have to watch out for tornadoes. We have basements for that reason alone. Houses are much cheaper here along with lower property taxes. I'm a Texan native while my wife is a Kansan by birth. What else? Oh! You'll LOVE the very good traffic here. I lived in Austin for over 25 years and the traffic was getting worse and worse every year. There are not as many festivals here or much outdoor activities either. Just that it is too cold certain times of the year for much of that. I think you would love Austin much better than Wichita except Austin has sky high rental rates/housing and bad traffic.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
I don't hate it, but there are many places that are much better. I don't hate Siberia but I don't want to live there either.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 22,493 times
I just moved back to Wichita from the Houston area (La Porte). Wichita has the best freeway system to get around (get anywhere in about 20 minutes or less)...except maybe out on the East side where they are trying to improve. Live on the West or Northwest side of town if you want the least amount of traffic to deal with. There is lots and lots of variety for eating out...Houston has more, of course, but you have to drive an hour sometimes to appreciate that extra variety.
Sounds like you will love Old Town. Appeals the most to the under 35 age group, but something for all...including an old time Melodrama dinner theater. Old warehouse district that has been transformed into a series of night spots, shops, hotels and apartments as part of an overall downtown restoration. The new Intrust Arena downtown brings many of the same big name shows you might find coming through Houston. Check out Yelp.com to see the wide variety of things you mention. There is a brand new YMCA downtown that is state of the art everything, but Wichita is geared for those who want to bike, walk, or run on their own with many paths all over town.
I like enjoying the four seasons here in the Midwest. We only get 2-3 months of Houston heat, then the gamut of sunshine and the rest.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,073 times
[quote=TedH71;28497765]If you're a single guy, well...let me tell you...this town has the highest rate of single women..even the Wichita Eagle had an article about it./QUOTE]

I think I missed that article. When was it in the Eagle? I'm wondering if it's online. Seems like there are lot of single women, but under 30 seems to be the norm.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
[quote=Mapanggulo;29317904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
If you're a single guy, well...let me tell you...this town has the highest rate of single women..even the Wichita Eagle had an article about it./QUOTE]

I think I missed that article. When was it in the Eagle? I'm wondering if it's online. Seems like there are lot of single women, but under 30 seems to be the norm.
The "social culture" of Wichita means that many of the single women under age 30 have been married before or have one or more kids. Basically a lower percentage of career level single women in that age range.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM

455 posts, read 771,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinfranklin View Post
I just moved back to Wichita from the Houston area (La Porte). Wichita has the best freeway system to get around (get anywhere in about 20 minutes or less)
La Porte TX -- yikes! Wichita should feel like you're living in paradise after spending any significant time in that sweltering polluted mess.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM

174 posts, read 502,970 times
People in the Midwest love to bash their home towns. People tend to say it is boring, not enough nightlife etc. but it is the Midwest after all. Really there are only a few pockets where I tend to hear people talking about how their city is the greatest place on Earth, those are San Francisco, Portland, and New York, and the reasons are those cities tend to attract a lot of transplants there who go there for specific reasons, often to escape places like Wichita, Omaha, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Peoria and Dayton.

In all honesty all I have to complain about in Michigan are insular attitudes, overcast weather, and too much snow. Other than that it isn't half bad, but I would prefer to live in the Great Plains because I love wide open spaces. Some people like forested lakes like Michigan, and others want mountains. To each his own.

I know I wanted a mid-sized city on the Great Plains. Wichita so far intrigues me the most. Omaha and Des Moines are too brutally cold in the winter, though Wichita gets cold it is not that cold. Finally OKC and KC are both too big for me, and Tulsa is too southern even though it is 2.5 hours away. I like the vibe of Wichita because it is sort of Midwestern with a small southern influence, much like southern Indiana and Illinois and Missouri. To me it is the best of both worlds minus the negatives. There are a lot of good things about the Upper Midwest but people there can be rude, whereas the South is more hospitable but can be a bit over the top with some of the in your face southern stuff. Oklahoma was mostly settled by southerners and is a mostly southern state with a Midwestern influence, whereas Kansas was mainly settled by northerners and is mostly Midwestern, although there may be some southern influences leaking in from OK and Missouri in some parts.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 921 times
Default stay away from wichita

I advise anyone who intends to move here to stay away from here. Me and my family have been harassed and stalked, people are very rude and nosy and they call it friendly. I have travelled a lot around the world, this is a nightmare, we feel we re living in hell, prepared to leave of course. I can deal with people looking, its the fact that they will invade our space, i never know when they will come to try to touch us or my son in order to get my attention, people try to talk and insist until they get an answer, they don t quit and they don t go easily away.. even when i directly asked them `please go away`i have to repeat this at least 2, 3 times. They stay there bi****** about. At the supermarket one old woman starts picking some last items from my wife s shopping cart. She grabbed her hand firmly so she would drop whatever she had picked and firmly said to her `don t touch my things`. She stood there saying she just wanted to help, what happened to the world, my God poor child, what kind of a mother must she be... she ignored her , no one was noticing, she did it on purpose and the cashier was busying talking to someone else. Even when i go with my wife we always have women coming to try to reach my son specially old women. They kind play peak a boo behind my back trying to see my son.
At children park i saw a mexican woman throwing her leg out to make a child fall.. an older child who she understood was bugging her granddaughter... that same woman tried to reach my son with her arm...
When buying a pretzel an African american woman, an employee says she wants to know where my wife bought her shirt`to my husband, raised her voice, almost made a scandal.
My son is very poorly treated at the doctors office by the nurses who get hysterical when they see my wife whos stunning, a model..
In the summer old women go crazy and insult my wife directly for using shorts, they stare, they talk to us, ask questions, won t absolutely leave…
I repeat there is nothing here. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Wichita, stay away from Kansas.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:49 PM

455 posts, read 771,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensstevens View Post
I advise anyone who intends to move here to stay away from here. Me and my family have been harassed and stalked, people are very rude and nosy and they call it friendly. I have travelled a lot around the world, this is a nightmare, we feel we re living in hell, prepared to leave of course. At the supermarket one old woman starts picking some last items from my wife s shopping cart. She grabbed her hand firmly so she would drop whatever she had picked and firmly said to her `don t touch my things`. She stood there saying she just wanted to help, what happened to the world, my God poor child, what kind of a mother must she be... she ignored her , no one was noticing, she did it on purpose and the cashier was busying talking to someone else. Even when i go with my wife we always have women coming to try to reach my son specially old women. They kind play peak a boo behind my back trying to see my son.
At children park i saw a mexican woman throwing her leg out to make a child fall.. an older child who she understood was bugging her granddaughter... that same woman tried to reach my son with her arm...
When buying a pretzel an African american woman, an employee says she wants to know where my wife bought her shirt`to my husband, raised her voice, almost made a scandal.
My son is very poorly treated at the doctors office by the nurses who get hysterical when they see my wife whos stunning, a model..
In the summer old women go crazy and insult my wife directly for using shorts, they stare, they talk to us, ask questions, won t absolutely leave…

I repeat there is nothing here. Do yourself a favour and stay away from Wichita, stay away from Kansas.
LOL --this is very amusing. Have you ever thought about being a professional comedy writer on curb your enthusiasm, the amount of quality material here is endless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita