Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

A few things about me and thanks in advance for the help.

I'm a New Englander and have spent the majority of my life living in the Rhode Island/Massachusetts area. I did spend a longtime living in Central Europe and I'm fairly well traveled. I enjoy leisure travel and it is a main interest of mine.

My background is Political Science, Information Technology and research expertise in the social sciences. I would be working in a professional (non-manufacturing) capacity with one of the aerospace firms located in Kansas.

My girlfriend lives in Philadelphia and we commute several times to each other a month in order to keep the relationship going. I foresee that continuing with a move to Kansas, even if it involves frequent weekend air travel.

I was born in Florida and I get there several times a year. So, I have preconceived notions about the South and Mid/Central United States. I'm intellectually progressive and not a huge fan of organized religion being pushed on me. Not saying that happens in Wichita...but I am very nervous about the bible belt in general...although I think Kansas is somewhat removed from that sort of thing.

I certainly enjoy peace and quiet. I do go out occasionally...bars and lounges but nothing over the top. As is the case with many people who have lived in Europe, I'm interested in an absolutely minimalist studio apartment although I don't know if that can be had in an area that socioeconomically developed and safe.

I understand that it is a quiet city and that the people are quiet friendly. I'm not even sure what to ask about. Tell me what you think?

Last edited by jayguy95; 03-06-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 06:49 PM

58 posts, read 170,696 times
This area, in general, is pretty laid back. I, personally, don't think you will have trouble with "bible pushers" (though I am sure there are plenty...if you *do* encounter someone pushy, just be polite and firm and they go away!

I don't know what you are asking re: living areas? But, there are alot of apartments in Wichita.

Travel will be .... interesting for you, I am sure. One would think that as the "Air Capital" the city would have simple, easy air travel...but that never seems to be the case!

As for traveling IN Kansas - there are actually quite alot of areas in Kansas that are (in MY opinion) quite beautiful. The Flint Hills, for example, are beautiful in their simplicity and vastness....well worth a day trip!!!

If you have more specific questions, post away!!

Good luck!!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM

7 posts, read 22,508 times
I would recommend you look at Riverside. There are a lot of hidden small apartments in an established, quiet and safe neighborhood. Not all are advertised. Find a small area you like and talk to people to find them. For peace and quiet I don't recommend any of the apartment complexes with more than 4 units.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,869 times
Don't kid yourself, Kansas is very much part of the Bible Belt. It is culturally very similar to Texas and Oklahoma, not the traditional Midwest states. I spent most of my life in the southwest US and it was shocking to me when I first came to Wichita just how how much religion plays a part in the daily lives of a lot of people. I was asked by complete strangers, neighbors and coworkers what type of church I attended, it was so awkward and uncomfortable since I came from a place where people respect your privacy and don't get involved in your personal business. You will also find a subtle form of discrimination in employment and other areas if you are not a member of the right church or at least a self declared Christian.

Your best bet would be to avoid the suburbs like the plague and have a plan B in place in case you don't like it.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM

123 posts, read 391,401 times
During the year I lived in Wichita, NOBODY expressed the remotest interest in whether I went to church, wanted to go to church or followed up after I visited a church. If that's any comfort to you.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 24,967 times
I would recommend any apartment right in the middle of downtown. You can find some really cool lofts there. I wouldn't recommend anything far south or north unless you are looking in the surrounding cities such as Park City (North of Wichita) or Derby (South). I definatelly agree with Grinfranklin on the apartment complexes, but there are also a lot of homeless in some areas of Riverside. The area is beautiful though. The bigger the apartment complexs are the more noise there will be. You mentioned a studio, but Wichita rents are so cheap compared to other big cities you could easily afford a house. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita