Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times

Advertisements

I lived as a kid in Wichita from 1970-1975...NE of Kellogg and Woodlawn...visited there a couple years ago several years after the previous visit....drove/walked around the city to do some memory-lane stuff....

hoping others here in the forum can offer their memories of things from years ago...still here or not

Sudy's in "the Village" at Oliver and Douglas...now another restaurant

Ketteman's Bakery on Douglas toward downtown...heard the family just decided to close up

Joyland - did drive by it two years ago...wow

Gessler's in the old location in the Village

Crest Theater - anybody know if it created a ruckus when torn down?

the "salt flats" where Towne East Square is now....old oil field, I think

just a little left-turn lane to go into the airport

a good kennel at somebody's nice house way out in Goddard we always used (on the N side of Kellogg)

David's on E Kellogg

sausage in Peabody

construction of the memorial at WSU to the football team plane crash

will think of more...please contribute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM

123 posts, read 391,341 times
In 1958, I was a sixth grader at McLean Elementary. All the music classes in all the Wichita schools started learning and practicing a selection of songs/music. In the Spring, we all came together. . .I don't know in what arena . . .and performed together. It was one of the richest experiences of my life and I remember much of what we sang and still sing it.

We also went on a class trip to the Wichita Art Museum and that made a profound impression on me. My first art museum, but not my last.

And, in my fading memory, the old Orpheum movie theater is still the epitome of movie theaters.

Seeing what has happened to Joyland is plain depressing. I was last there in 1965 with my cousin and her boyfriend. We had a mah-velous time, dahling. Oh, the joy of Joyland, gone forever, I guess.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:48 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
resurrecting this older thread to get people's memories.......my Mother's side of the family are longtime Wichita residents....

last saw Joyland in near-ruins in 2011......anything new at that site??.....

looking at Google Earth is an eye-opener.....

I haven't yet been back to see the new terminal at the airport.....I remember as a tiny kid when the old terminal (now apparently demolished) involved walking up a slight incline from underground to get to the gates at ground-level with no jetways.....I think it was in the late 60s or early 70s when a raised concourse was built there with jetway access to the planes.....

are kids allowed these days to ride bikes all over with no supervision at all?......we were.......

anybody else have some old memories?....restaurants?.....theaters?......

Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 AM

374 posts, read 562,416 times
Theaters:

I worked @ the Miller in 1969 (Midnight Cowboy/Love Bug, which I drove);

the Wichita on Douglas was torn down that fall;

worked the Frazier/Quarry fight @ the Orpheum;

Boulevard (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/Woodstock);

the Mall Cinema (Gimme Shelter, I let Jack Benny in thru the exit door);

the Uptown;

Bill Warren's Westway Cinema (Dirty Harry)

Sat on plywood atop a pool table in the Uptown Bar & Grill to hear Finnigan & Wood; Mike now tours with Bonnie Raitt.

Squeezer's Palace along the river; frozen chocolate-covered bananas . . . .

Old 09-03-2023, 09:47 PM

273 posts, read 700,267 times
The Diamond Inn which was located at 6815 West Kellogg

Its long gone but I enjoyed staying there

Old 09-06-2023, 03:35 PM

980 posts, read 539,238 times
The Lazy R. Best burgers ever!

Old 09-06-2023, 09:20 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
I just remember TV as I lived within range of Wichita TV.

1) Major Astro after school
2) Freddie Fudd reads the comics
3) Little Rascals baseball league games where they would show real Wichita little league baseball.
4) Rusty Eck car commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita