Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 15,340 times

Advertisements

We are a middle aged couple moving to the Wichita area for our career.Our main concern is safety , nearby shopping, and restaurants.We also have a sweet, older dog.We are currently looking at a small house to rent ( short term,before buying)near S. Roosevelt st. and Countryside.When googling it it seems to be near Sedgewick county sheriff's and in an area named "Grandview Heights " .Does anyone know if this is a safe neighborhood? Also, we've been looking at a new apartment complex called Sunstone,which is located in Andover.Does anyone have any knowledge about that area or those apartments.We seem to be noticing that a lot of people recommend living in Andover ,Derby, or Maize as opposed to Wichita. Thank you so much for any advice!! 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrlrainey View Post
We are a middle aged couple moving to the Wichita area for our career.Our main concern is safety , nearby shopping, and restaurants.We also have a sweet, older dog.We are currently looking at a small house to rent ( short term,before buying)near S. Roosevelt st. and Countryside.When googling it it seems to be near Sedgewick county sheriff's and in an area named "Grandview Heights " .Does anyone know if this is a safe neighborhood? Also, we've been looking at a new apartment complex called Sunstone,which is located in Andover.Does anyone have any knowledge about that area or those apartments.We seem to be noticing that a lot of people recommend living in Andover ,Derby, or Maize as opposed to Wichita. Thank you so much for any advice!! 😊

I would recommend Andover if you want to be near Restaurants and Shopping. Derby has some options and Maize does too, but the best shopping in Kansas outside of Johnson County is in east Wichita where Andover would have the best access. East Wichita has the better mall (Sears, Dillard's Von Maur, JCP) and then in the area between Kellogg and K96 there's World Market, Cabella's, Super Target, Costco, Sam's, Kohl's, and some upscale options at Towne East, Waterfront, and Bradley Fair.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:28 PM

Thank you so much for your advice!!��

Old 11-27-2015, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,686 times
We moved to Wichita two years ago from a major city. It's pretty quiet and easy to get anywhere. We live east wichita near the andover border. It's a great area and a lot of new construction houses, retail and restaurants. A lot of people like Andover but for me I am not impressed. There is nothing there and it just adds on another 10 minute drive to anywhere you'll want to go. Depending on where you are working the best options are east wichita (and into andover if you prefer), Derby to the south, and maize to the west. If we didn't work on this side of town Maize would probably by my pick. I'm not to much help with any other areas within Wichita because I don't know where everything is yet.

There are some new apartments called Stoney Pointe in a great area but not sure if they allow pets.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Thank you so much!!

Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,703 times
North East Wichita is really nice depending on what you're looking for price wise. You almost can't go wrong north of Kellogg and east of Rock. A lot of the new higher end home and retail construction in the city happens in that area while the Maize Road area gets a lot of the solidly middle class homes and retail.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:21 AM

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM

206 posts, read 238,402 times
Park City on north side of town has policing problem/city hall issues. Been hiding dirty sex abuse secret for years and is tolerating stuff stolen out of locked up houses, lots of vandalisms, some poor lady got raped & came home to front door open next day + dog running at large, some who complain are being scared out by cops within 2-3 months of buying here & told they cannot sell...

Yes, you can sell -- you need to do auction and state 'as-is, no warranties'.

This was a lovely neighborhood for a long while after it got own police in 1990s but now really no telling about how it will treat you in Park City, so rent first. If you are disability check, they will try to get you a psych evaluation if this kind of stuff happens to you. Would make no contact with cops unless you need to file insurance claim because whole place was cleaned out -- at such time, you need to tell them you work at Walmart so you don't get discriminated against. If you move 15 minutes toward other suburbs, you can ditch the police discrimination problems if you made previous mistake -- just not worth it to try to get attention for police because you can't handle it and want to hurt yourself. You need to stay with your parents in Wichita if you cannot handle it or this place will tear you to bits. (Honestly, had a lot of good middle aged female employees ruined with crazy -- ex-wives, sex assault victims, molestation victims, unwilling mistresses and business rivals....The wealthy abusers are still using whomever, there is no way to even get restraining orders. Some have left saying they had nothing to show for staying her last 10-15 years, they just got ruined and left with a suitcase on greyhound. Elders always warned you needed a second home out of town if you work in Wichita, when you finally get screwed you had another town where you knew people.)

Wichita's media has been thoroughly sued by man wrongfully called serial killer. Media only runs government statements and fluff pieces about the wealthies. NONE of these displaced families, 15+ at least in last 3 years, can talk to any media to find any attorney who will help. This whole situation is ripe for all kinds of abuse..Lots of the north side jobs and USD 259 actually do sex harrassments on regular basis, woman is denied unemployment and coworkers sometimes make a play for a relationship after getting new lady fired.

Spirit/plants not much better -- can be insanely noisy until female gets married, very hostile nutty males. Some walked away from work at plants, just too hard on their health. May be able to get worker retraining, ask at unemployment office. Butler college has bad sex harassment issue...You will pass if you don't speak up about it...Do not get job at Butler College, staff make $9-10 an hour to work with someone who 'drove his ex-wive crazy' and he got the kids, he wants people to hang out with him after classes. This is not uncommon situation...

Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,167 times
I live in Bel Aire which is directly northwest of Wichita and close to major restaurants and hospitals. Plenty of decent apartments around here but I know of a house up for rent the street over and if you want, I can get the phone number and send it to you via email. I have no idea on the price.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 AM

55 posts, read 62,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
I live in Bel Aire which is directly northwest of Wichita and close to major restaurants and hospitals. Plenty of decent apartments around here but I know of a house up for rent the street over and if you want, I can get the phone number and send it to you via email. I have no idea on the price.
Ted just to clarify, Bel Aire is not NW of Wichita. Maize is. Bel Aire is N or Wichita and more accurately NE of wichita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita