Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,182,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Like I said before, I am no longer in the work force, so it won't personally effect me at all if employers start to stear away from hiring women because they are required to provide escessive maternity leave.

I never said I was against maternity leave.........I am against requiring an EXCESSIVE amount of maternity leave. Three, six and TWELVE months of maternity leave is excessive.

I just hate to see women lose the ground they have gained when it comes to being discriminated against regarding employment opportunities. Women still do not have the earning power that men do. And NOW you want to burden women with excessive maternity leave costs when considered for employment.

No cost to unpaid leave.........get real.........it still costs an employer money, money he wouldn't have to put out if he hired a man. It costs money to hire and train another employee to do your job. Many employers do not hire over-qualified people because they know they will quit as soon as they find a job in their desired profession......... they do not want to waste their TIME AND MONEY training them.

In today's economy, companies are becoming "lean and mean" just to survive. Saddle them with excessive maternity leave requirements and you will find women of childbearing age losing job opportunities. They will hire just enough women to "fly under the radar".

You are the one getting all hot and bothered because you don't want to face the unpleasant truth of what it takes to come out on top in today's job market.
Isn't maternity leave a better option than forcing the woman to quit entirely? the business then has to hire for a pernament position. What if the business has already invested for 5 years in that person? Training, development, and they are then lost forever to that company.... isn't the maximum of 12 months the better option?

from this article, paid sick leave is not even an entitlement in US???

U.S. Policies on Maternity Leave "Among the Worst", Employees-Work/Family Issues Article - Inc. Article

wow. At this moment, I have 57 days sick leave entitled to me. If I fall sick, minor or serious I know I will still have pay for 3 months. When I leave this employer, those days are not paid out to me.

My annual leave, on the other hand .. (also 3 months at the moment) will be.....

I also have 10 days of carer leave throughout the year that I can take. If a parent/child (if I had one) was sick, those days would be paid for as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,182,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Geesh, I don't think 3 months is excessive and I don't have children. I look at maternity leave the same way I view toilets and TP, a cafeteria, and water available at work. It's a part of life for humans. We eat, produce waste, reproduce, etc. Heck, my friend's co offers fathers a month paternity leave.

Don't you think this is promoting disparity between the haves and have nots? The women at my company, for example, don't have to worry about this kind of thing. Everybody is highly educated and resides on the upper end of SES. We just interviewed 4 candidates for a lab head position; two men, one woman past child bearing age, and one woman of child-bearing age. Even tho somebody in the dept always seems to be getting pregnant, considerations of not hiring due to potential pregnancy doesn't come up. We're interested in talent and a few months off due materinity leave is pretty meaningless. The latter candidate is getting the offer.
from the reports that I have read, yes women in higher paying jobs have better benefits.... so as usual it is the have-nots taht fall behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
As usual, the privaledged will continue to get their perks, be treated extremely well, etc, while those earning meager salaries in mid-low level careers will be taking the brunt of any shaft offered by the masses (regardless of gender). I don't know if that's good for society. I also don't have any easy answers either since the topic is pretty general. Some case studies would be interesting to read about.
This is one paper .... it shows producivity vs paid/unpaid maternity leave. ...

OECD Employment Outlook 2007 - Google Books

Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM

11,361 posts, read 19,027,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Isn't maternity leave a better option than forcing the woman to quit entirely? the business then has to hire for a pernament position. What if the business has already invested for 5 years in that person? Training, development, and they are then lost forever to that company.... isn't the maximum of 12 months the better option?

from this article, paid sick leave is not even an entitlement in US???

U.S. Policies on Maternity Leave "Among the Worst", Employees-Work/Family Issues Article - Inc. Article

wow. At this moment, I have 57 days sick leave entitled to me. If I fall sick, minor or serious I know I will still have pay for 3 months. When I leave this employer, those days are not paid out to me.

My annual leave, on the other hand .. (also 3 months at the moment) will be.....

I also have 10 days of carer leave throughout the year that I can take. If a parent/child (if I had one) was sick, those days would be paid for as well.
Again, I could never understand how/why we can be this way when the rest of the civilized world (regardless of political orientation) isn't and considers it "the moral thing to do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment