Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 02:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,947 times

Advertisements

every so often i get a email saying someone has requested me to connect to them on linkedon. i havent joined. i just got 3 emails about one request from a business i don't know. its a store that sells products i make. they must have gotten my email from my website. why should i join and connect to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,737,409 times
They should change their name to SpammedIn.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
They should change their name to SpammedIn.

it may not be spam, because it's too coincidental. the requester is a business owner closely relate to my business. i checked out their website. but the 2 reminder emails were a little much

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
So ignore it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,737,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So ignore it.
Yeah, he sounds like a novice. I'm amazed people take LinkedIn seriously

Old 05-20-2012, 06:58 AM

469 posts, read 913,849 times
I've found LinkedIn to be a tremendous networking aide. Mine was neglected for some time and once I opened it up for an update, all kinds of people came into the mix.

I've found a number of companies have asked to connect to them on LinkedIn, these were recruiters and other company reps. This is the way they keep up with the potential employees. I'm in Aviation Consulting and every job I've ever expressed interest in, they have hit my LinkedIn page.

Connections can have unintended consequences, so just keep your private and professional life separate. I'm very strict about this, don't even include family or friends unless they are directly related to your career or industry.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Yeah, he sounds like a novice. I'm amazed people take LinkedIn seriously
Why wouldn't people take out seriously? Outside of the club, it's where networking takes place.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM

753 posts, read 1,483,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
I've found LinkedIn to be a tremendous networking aide. Mine was neglected for some time and once I opened it up for an update, all kinds of people came into the mix.

I've found a number of companies have asked to connect to them on LinkedIn, these were recruiters and other company reps. This is the way they keep up with the potential employees. I'm in Aviation Consulting and every job I've ever expressed interest in, they have hit my LinkedIn page.

Connections can have unintended consequences, so just keep your private and professional life separate. I'm very strict about this, don't even include family or friends unless they are directly related to your career or industry.

Me too. I'm waiting to hear about a job (Please, God.) that I found out about when a recruiter contacted me on Linkedin about it. We were part of the same group-one of the professional groups I belong to on there. It's a job I would have never known about otherwise.

Last week my husband was contacted about a job on there as well. It wasn't a perfect fit but they are checking for other jobs that might be up his alley.

We both have jobs (mine part-time) but might as well always be on the lookout for something interesting.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
every so often i get a email saying someone has requested me to connect to them on linkedon. i havent joined. i just got 3 emails about one request from a business i don't know. its a store that sells products i make. they must have gotten my email from my website. why should i join and connect to them?
I get (without looking for them) 3-4 offers for interviews through linkedin every year, simply because I maintain a good network and my skills are what certain companies need.

Why wouldn't you join? What exactly do you have to lose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment