Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,457,067 times

Advertisements

At my last job I was making $12/hr...where can I search for jobs making upwards of that? I've tried sites like Indeed and Simply Hired and came across this forum in search also that seemed to have some ideas previously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 PM

134 posts, read 368,229 times
This is so vague we're going to need a little more detail.

Skills/Qualifications/Degree? Skilled workers don't have much trouble making over that on a regular basis.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 PM

878 posts, read 1,658,794 times
I found my job last May thru a Google search for "waterjet jobs" that brought up a job listing here in WA via Worksource.

For fun and to see if the tactic is still viable... I just repeated the process and this turned up.

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksour...der=Employment

They still have a listing up nearly a year later. I worked for Aerotek for 5 months before getting hired permanent with the client in October. I was a temp at $20 an hour and now make $24 with a nice benefit package as well as regular overtime. I was unemployed living in Georgia and moved out here for the job. It was without a doubt the best decision of my life. The job market in Georgia is horrible... I have a manufacturing background with various manual and CNC machine experience such as mills and lathes as well as saw, plasma and waterjet cutting experience. There is a lot of this type of work in this area mainly for Boeing and their suppliers.

Edit: If you've watched American Chopper you've seen a waterjet in action... if not here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jm4_HikMqk Waterjet cutting is how it's done in the aerospace industry due to the fact the jet leaves no HAZ (heat affected zone) in the metal... unlike plasma and lasers. Boeing has hundreds of airplanes to build... contracts that are worth billions of dollars. I like the job security.

Last edited by TRC2k11; 04-28-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM

34,223 posts, read 83,435,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
At my last job I was making $12/hr...
where can I search for jobs making upwards of that?
Pretty much anywhere.
The straight poop: The first $8-10 per hour of wage allows employers to compete with McDonalds
for the best of the droopy drawer wearing, slack jawed, and generally unqualified for anything
more/better which might apply.

The next $2-4 per hour of wages allows them to tap the quickly diminishing pool of those with any sense
of responsibility. Finding entry level people who will show up on time every day, actually clock 40 hours
and show some capacity to accept training and then of course stick with it... is harder than you might think.

Quote:
I've tried sites like Indeed and Simply Hired...
This level of work is about face to face with the decision maker impressions.
Ideally at 7AM with your lunch packed and ready to work immediately.

Whatever your interest may be find the companies (nearest to you) in that business or trade.
Haunt the business parks where they have their shops and/or go for materials.

90% of success is just showing up. Do that.
You can NOT do it online.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
This is so vague we're going to need a little more detail.

Skills/Qualifications/Degree? Skilled workers don't have much trouble making over that on a regular basis.
I was unlucky enough to pick poor paying careers early on,such as retail and broadcasting...after I got out of that I ended up working pretty much general temp jobs so my skills at this point aren't that specialized.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The next $2-4 per hour of wages allows them to tap the quickly diminishing pool of those with any sense
of responsibility. Finding entry level people who will show up on time every day, actually clock 40 hours
and show some capacity to accept training and then of course stick with it... is harder than you might think.
I'd most likely fit into that mid category;

Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM

88 posts, read 297,453 times
In n out starts at $10 and can be as high as $13 after a couple years...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM

29,988 posts, read 25,118,669 times
If you can present yourself as a respectable and reasonably intelligent person at the interview, it's not too hard to ask for a few bucks more. I think employers have had enough of the typical lowball workers and are ready for folks who can actually get the job done, for a reasonable wage of course.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggyy View Post
What's In n out?...Buddy of mine used to work at Lowes home improvement and claims his was up around there too,not bad for general skills...though I don't know much about home improvement so that wouldn't be fair to the customers.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggyy View Post
If you're referring to In n Out Burger that is pretty high for a place like that,located out west. Pretty sorry considering here on the east coast was supposedly a prosperous area,jobs like that here would probably be around $8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment