Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times

Advertisements

Even though you're young, I STRONGLY recommend that you stick with your current $85k job, especially since you don't hate it. Do not fall into the "grass is always greener over there" trap. There's no guarantee that this other "interesting" job opportunity will (a) actually be interesting once you're actually working there, (b) remain interesting over the long term - companies change over time, and (c) have salary growth potential. There's also no guarantee that you will actually reach your projected $105k+ salary in a few years at your current job. Future projections often do not come to fruition.

Perhaps in the future, some other opportunity may surface that is cool, and pays a much higher salary.

Don't take unnecessary high risks with your earnings. Personally, I would need a damn good reason to take a paycut.

I suspect you're currently single. If/when you marry and have kids, suddenly you will have to support them financially in addition to yourself. It is wise to put yourself in a position now such that you're capable of handling that when the time comes. Especially in a high COL location such as Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM

67 posts, read 126,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
I'm currently making mid-80k at the age of 25 working at my current position; at this rate I will move up into the $105-$115k range by the time I'm 27. The work I do is rather mundane but I do not hate it. I have an opportunity to move into a job which I feel would be more interesting but the pay cut will be substantial.

Anyone ever share similar experiences and what did you end up deciding?
What do you do for a living? Are they hiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment