Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this policy. A Dad is a Dad and they should be treated the same.

Time Warner Accused of Refusing Longer Paid Family Leave Only to Biological Fathers - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
My husband gets no paid leave as a father through his company. He can use his "sick leave" for up to 22 days and then from there can use short term disability but that only pays 55% of his salary.

Myself on the other hand, I work for a different company and I get 8 weeks full pay, and then the 3rd month paid at 70% but it is not taxed. So essentially I get 3 months paid maternity leave and he'll get a few weeks.

I know this is going to upset him whenever we have a baby but at this point not much we can do.

I do think it's odd that adopting father's get 10 weeks, and the only thing I see changing is adopting fathers will only get 2 weeks in the future also. Maybe TW would be generous enough to give bio fathers an additional 2 weeks. I mean technically they aren't required to give anything. I think most states don't give anything unless you buy short term disability that is offered through your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment