Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:29 AM

7,937 posts, read 7,847,556 times

Advertisements

I'd say Word is common to the point of high school level, then excel and then access. You might find some asking for publisher but I find that a bit rare.

I don't find MS products to be bad but frankly the open sourced market pretty much killed the market for them. Libreoffice is free and is nearly 99% the same.

There's plenty of resources online that illustrate how to use most of these programs. Having said that not all employers specifically teach programs because they want to keep it proprietary!

Why teach a skill that has a value somewhere else in the private sector? I know companies that run old legacy systems that they couldn't hire a programmer to update so they run a 1985 era program in emulation because they don't want to invest the money for something else!

There's complete industries that never really used ms software like hospitals. I know of airports that up until 10 years ago used early 1980's computer to broadcast flight arrivals and departures because it's just displaying text, it's not doing anything else.

If you want more advanced programs try SPSS, GIS software, Math Lab, Blender, AutoCad etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,446,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'd say Word is common to the point of high school level, then excel and then access. You might find some asking for publisher but I find that a bit rare.

I don't find MS products to be bad but frankly the open sourced market pretty much killed the market for them. Libreoffice is free and is nearly 99% the same.

There's plenty of resources online that illustrate how to use most of these programs. Having said that not all employers specifically teach programs because they want to keep it proprietary!

Why teach a skill that has a value somewhere else in the private sector? I know companies that run old legacy systems that they couldn't hire a programmer to update so they run a 1985 era program in emulation because they don't want to invest the money for something else!

There's complete industries that never really used ms software like hospitals. I know of airports that up until 10 years ago used early 1980's computer to broadcast flight arrivals and departures because it's just displaying text, it's not doing anything else.

If you want more advanced programs try SPSS, GIS software, Math Lab, Blender, AutoCad etc.
Don't forget the Google Docs line and OpenOffice. All very good alternatives as well that can at least allow people to get a feel for word processors, as well as spreadsheet and database suites.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,392,543 times
I graduated college at a time when Microsoft office was not taught. I have learned it on the job. Most large companies used to train people to use whatever program was in use (I learned Lotus notes at the bank-never used it). Excel is what I have used the most.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:39 AM

984 posts, read 2,717,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
...Anecdotally, I find anything MS related to be very substandard in many ways. From crashing to not leading a user with intuitive programming are two of any MS programs flaws.
I spend 90 percent of my workday using different MS Office tools and crashes are extremely rare

Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,261,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You graduate college in the late 80s or early 90s, which probably puts you in your 40s or 50s.

And yes, I do know how to use them.
Yeah, I graduated college in the early 90s. MS Office merely adopted these millenials. It was born with Xers. Molded by us. It didn't see a millennial user until version 6.0 at least.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,140,528 times
There are many people that don't know how to use Excel. I have taught the v-lookup function to vice presidents and senior vice presidents. I get asked all the time about Excel.

The most common questions are:
1) How to open text file in excel? It is usually for a file with different delimiters like pipes(||).
2) How to view the underlying in a pivot table?
3) How turn on/off autofilter
4) How to use freeze pane?
5) How to do a v-lookup?
6) How to convert YYYYMMDD integers to dates?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 AM

42,002 posts, read 75,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
How do you even graduate college without knowing these programs?
By earning your degree when Microsoft was in its infancy?

And yes, I know how to use Office as well ... despite my advanced age. I probably couldn't whip up a complicated Excel budget sheet without some gnashing of teeth, but then again in my profession I don't need to. I have budget managers who do that.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
theres different user ability as well. most people that say they know how to use excel and word are just beginners, there are intermediate and advanced skill levels...the majority will never have to exceed the beginner level but if you have not had time or the need to use office then your skills will be sub par
Yes, I've seen people claim they are expert level in those who really can do no more than a third grader can do. They might now how to put things into excel columns but they can't use any formulas, they can't even set up spreadsheets that use the same headings as the first one, they keep typing in every single thing.

And when you see what they do in Word, it's incredibly beginner. They can't figure out their problems in formatting because they don't even know how to look at it.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
By earning your degree when Microsoft was in its infancy?

And yes, I know how to use Office as well ... despite my advanced age. I probably couldn't whip up a complicated Excel budget sheet without some gnashing of teeth, but then again in my profession I don't need to. I have budget managers who do that.
But I would think anyone with a degree, no matter what their age is would have enough intellectual curiosity to learn them even on their own. Finishing college doesn't mean you have to stop learning new things. I don't think age is any excuse.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 7,847,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There are many people that don't know how to use Excel. I have taught the v-lookup function to vice presidents and senior vice presidents. I get asked all the time about Excel.

The most common questions are:
1) How to open text file in excel? It is usually for a file with different delimiters like pipes(||).
2) How to view the underlying in a pivot table?
3) How turn on/off autofilter
4) How to use freeze pane?
5) How to do a v-lookup?
6) How to convert YYYYMMDD integers to dates?
I think I might have got you beat. I had to train three coworkers hired saying they had office experience. The company meant MS office, they thought just working in an office

After three months I had to cut them off. Two of them made it but one had to be let go.

Don't even get me started about the one that didn't know how to double click a mouse! That was at a different place but when they let her go she had a sailors mouth.

For excel I highly recommend the youtube channel excelisfun it lists EVERYTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment