Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 PM

154 posts, read 361,606 times

Advertisements

pls i cant think of a good one, anyone pls help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
You had a time limit that you thought would be difficult to meet but you knew it was critical for the project to be completed so you became very efficient in certain ways, were paid a salary so you didn't have to worry about overtime worked late and you got it done.

Or you were given a project that was at first overwhelming, you broke it down into separate tasks, set time limits for them and also delegated what you could to others so the project would be completed on time.

Or you were tasked with teaching someone who was difficult to teach, but you adapted your teaching style, were patient, provided learning aids and successfully oriented this person. Or you had an angry customer, and you listened and were able to satisfy the customer.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM

154 posts, read 361,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You had a time limit that you thought would be difficult to meet but you knew it was critical for the project to be completed so you became very efficient in certain ways, were paid a salary so you didn't have to worry about overtime worked late and you got it done.

Or you were given a project that was at first overwhelming, you broke it down into separate tasks, set time limits for them and also delegated what you could to others so the project would be completed on time.

Or you were tasked with teaching someone who was difficult to teach, but you adapted your teaching style, were patient, provided learning aids and successfully oriented this person. Or you had an angry customer, and you listened and were able to satisfy the customer.

none of these really help, i was never on salary, a manager and the last example isnt for me

Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM

151 posts, read 258,216 times
you need to give more info on your background and what job are you looking for or no one here can help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
none of these really help, i was never on salary, a manager and the last example isnt for me

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
pls i cant think of a good one, anyone pls help me!
Think harder. A good interviewer will be able to tell if you make one up or steal an idea from someone on the forum, by your response to their follow-up questions. If you have worked more than a year or two there has to be a time when you had a difficult situation to overcome.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Turner23x,

This is a fairly typical "behavioral interviewing" question, and any reasonably skilled interviewer will sense that you made something up or tried to use another person's answer. It won't ring true, so the skilled interviewer is almost certain to ask one or more follow-up questions. The falsehood will become obvious, and your employment prospect will probably go right out the window.

Rather than asking us to help you 'cheat' (because that seems to be what you're doing), sit down and consider all the work experiences you've had. Surely there is ONE difficult situation that you overcame -- somewhere!!! It doesn't have to be a world-saving event; just a pesky/tricky/ticklish situation that required some special effort on your part.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

-- Nighteyes

Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
You have to relate your own experiences, not someone else's. If you can think of any challenges you've overcome you either have a bad memory or aren't a good worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment