Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 889,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
I am currently interviewing with a few different companies and at the end they almost always ask "Do you have any questions for me?"
A question I always ask the interviewer at the end is "What is the most important problem you have to deal with, currently?". Then, after the interviewer answers your question, draw on your experience/skills to suggest a solution. If you have done your homework carefully and scoped out the company, its position in the market and its competitors, it shouldn't have been too difficult to foresee the problem and think of possible solutions.

Doing this shows you have thought about the industry, the company and the marketplace, and that you can think on your feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,104,511 times
When a candidate is being interviewed, the candidate should be interviewing the company as well. Unfortunately you'll only hear positive things about the company and once the honeymoon is over reality sets in.

A few of the questions I asked were:

"What are the manager's expectations of this position?"
"What are the manager's expectations of the employee?"
"How is the department organized; what is the layout; may I see what area I'd be working in?"
"What is the the manager's style of communication?"

Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM

624 posts, read 766,206 times
Quote:
I am currently interviewing with a few different companies and at the end they almost always ask "Do you have any questions for me?"

A few times I have had some small questions, but sometimes the interviewer is incredibly thorough and I have no questions. Is that bad? Should I always come up with some questions? If no questions do I try and be funny and say "when do I start?" How do you guys deal with this? What do you all suggest?
I have said the same thing.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,776,858 times
I never wait until the end to ask, if they are on a subject and I have a question about said subject I will ask right then and there. I make sure I learn all I can in the interview (most of them will last 6-7 hrs). When they do ask if I have any questions, I simply state that they covered everything I needed to know about the position and that they were thorough in the interview, this makes them understand that I paid attention to detail. I've never really had a bad interviewer per say, they are upfront about who they want and what the position entails and what the company is about. I ask particulars and about history and that's all I need to know.

Asking questions about pay and bennies could also be a very bad thing, and does get people right here. Some companies just do not like it at all if you ask right then and there, before they even offer you a job. I've been rejected before from a F100 due to this, I asked about benefit hours to the HR Manager at the very end of the interview, in a cold stern stare she said well I'm not sure we haven't offered you a job yet. I knew it was the nail in coffin and learned from it.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:36 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,596,449 times
mine is simple, can I have a tour of the place and meet my future co-workers? Yes I assume I'll have the job and call them co-workers already. It also gives you a feel of the place too and the people And a lot of people would be hard pressed to turn you down too. If they are busy, reschedule it another day, gives you another shot at being remembered too and make an impression

plus you will meet the people that will end up making decision on if they want you working with you, if they aren't present at the interview already... HR only conducts the interview, they don't decide who to hire

Last edited by MLSFan; 05-29-2014 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 AM

28,724 posts, read 18,961,288 times
Quote:

A few times I have had some small questions, but sometimes the interviewer is incredibly thorough and I have no questions. Is that bad? Should I always come up with some questions? If no questions do I try and be funny and say "when do I start?" How do you guys deal with this? What do you all suggest?
That is a "Socratic" question. You should be able to ask a few intelligent questions in response to demonstrate that you've done your homework investigating the company and the position.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,987,810 times
I always have questions ready, based on preliminary research. My questions include things like

Can you describe a typical day? --this tells me how many hours I'm going to be expected to work. Sometimes they describe the job as an 8 hour day, but once they tell me all my duties it becomes obvious it's gonna be more like 10-12--which matters to me.

What do you (the interviewer) enjoy best about this company?

What happened to the person who last held this position? OR why/when was this position created? How long do you anticipate this position existing? You would be shocked at how many employers advertised perm, but then admitted the position was really only temporary.

Who would I report to and what is his/her title?

How many direct reports will I have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment