Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,767,427 times

Advertisements

Hello. I worked at a call center that did scheduling for a large hospital system, which included all the local offices as well. We had to trick callers (patients) into thinking they were calling the local office. It would be all well and good until it came time to pronounce the Dr's name. "Oh we're a off-center call center, not your office".

I have also seen this for a Apartment Leasing call Center. People would call in thinking they were calling to local leasing office, only to be speaking to a call center, sometimes on the other end of the country. "I don't know, you'll have to ask the leasing office, we're just the central call center".

Maybe I just happen to run into these two scenarios (one I worked, the other I've just seen/heard of), but I don't think they are very smart, nor customer friendly. I guess if it saves a $1 or two though, right? How common are these? Have you ever worked at one? Thoughts? Comments? Stories?

Last edited by leadingedge04; 04-14-2015 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,704,957 times
Centralized call centers for larger corporations are normal. Sometimes there isn't one, there are several and may be located in different regions.

It's poor form that training doesn't include how to properly pronounce the names of the doctors you're fielding calls for. Perhaps you can suggest a sheet with the names phonetically spelled out. Not that anyone is learning phonics anymore, but it may help.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 PM

595 posts, read 1,262,313 times
Yes, my last job was one of those third party call center places. We had a huge amount of company knowledge blocked from us and when they blocked so much it was making us look uncaring or not knowledgeable I was not surprised when we lost the contract and they hired all new people in another state who did not know what they were missing.

A. It's more common than you think.

B. Agree with you that it might save money but not so smart or customer satisfaction focused.

If I told you detailed stories, I might get sued! But I will say it hurt my heart to mislead people to meet job expectations.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 PM

303 posts, read 397,235 times
I actually find those types of call centers helpful for making appointments with a dentist or doctor, since it can be done outside of business hours or when the receptionist is understandably busy with patients who are physically at the office - it's a welcome alternative to leaving a message on the answering machine.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,156,307 times
Doctors, landlords, plumbers, electricians, and many self-employed people always used answering services to answer calls, during off hours. Some of them use it during normal hours as a rollover line. My father used one, when I was a kid.

For companies with a national footprint like Wells Fargo or Capital One, they may have their own call centers. I can assure you that the call center reps are not sitting in the local bank branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment