Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:54 PM

493 posts, read 982,921 times

Advertisements

Maybe not the best phrase, but not sure what else to call it. My husband has been incredibly upset with his job for a while now and we've finally set aside enough of an emergency fund that we can work off of my salary alone. He applied to a few new jobs, one of which he made it through the interview stage and is now a final candidate awaiting their decision. Even if this job does not present an offer, we've already decided that at the end of the summer he will leave his current job. The continued stress just isn't worth it anymore.

After his final interview, this job requested his references including current supervisor and he gave them the information, so his boss knows he was looking at other jobs but does not know that he will be leaving no matter what. Ever since finding out about the potential other job, his supervisor has been making comments like, "If you leave, you know we'll have to cancel the internship program." And, "With you gone, we'd be understaffed. Make sure you give me enough notice if you're going to leave since we'll have to cancel other worker's vacations."

My husband took over the internship program about 3 years ago and they've already had the first round of interviews and are narrowing the field of candidates down. They also do have a vacation policy where only one employee is allowed off at any one time since they are so small, but at the same time this feels really sleazy, like he's trying to guilt trip my husband into staying.

Not sure what I'm looking for here other than ranting, but has anybody experienced anything similar? He'd feel horrible if the interns were turned away or if his co-workers were told they had to cancel vacations, but we have to be a little selfish and think about our own needs, and frankly, it isn't healthy for him to stay in that environment much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:09 PM

115 posts, read 199,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Maybe not the best phrase, but not sure what else to call it. My husband has been incredibly upset with his job for a while now and we've finally set aside enough of an emergency fund that we can work off of my salary alone. He applied to a few new jobs, one of which he made it through the interview stage and is now a final candidate awaiting their decision. Even if this job does not present an offer, we've already decided that at the end of the summer he will leave his current job. The continued stress just isn't worth it anymore.

After his final interview, this job requested his references including current supervisor and he gave them the information, so his boss knows he was looking at other jobs but does not know that he will be leaving no matter what. Ever since finding out about the potential other job, his supervisor has been making comments like, "If you leave, you know we'll have to cancel the internship program." And, "With you gone, we'd be understaffed. Make sure you give me enough notice if you're going to leave since we'll have to cancel other worker's vacations."

My husband took over the internship program about 3 years ago and they've already had the first round of interviews and are narrowing the field of candidates down. They also do have a vacation policy where only one employee is allowed off at any one time since they are so small, but at the same time this feels really sleazy, like he's trying to guilt trip my husband into staying.

Not sure what I'm looking for here other than ranting, but has anybody experienced anything similar? He'd feel horrible if the interns were turned away or if his co-workers were told they had to cancel vacations, but we have to be a little selfish and think about our own needs, and frankly, it isn't healthy for him to stay in that environment much longer.
They haven't black mailed him. It sounds like they're laying a heavy guilt trip. In the future your husband should not provide his current employer as a reference. 99.9 % of prospective employers will understand and respect it if he tells them that he won't give the okay to call his current employer until after a job offer has been extended and accepted

Old 04-15-2015, 03:13 PM

159 posts, read 177,638 times
Well your husband is very naive to give them that info. The better approach would have been " Out of respect for my current employer, I would be more than happy to furnish references once there is a job offer."

if he doesn't end up leaving the job ( you never know) then it leaves a very awkward situation

Old 04-15-2015, 03:15 PM

45,570 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post

yes, I have. Right now. So what? Your husband is a big boy and can make his own decisions as far as his boss is concerned.

How the company adjusts to his leaving isn't his problem, that's why they have managers above him.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,670,337 times
What kind of company contacted his current supervisor? That was a foolish move on their part.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM

595 posts, read 1,259,706 times
The boss is trying to keep his team strong. Too little too late and I wish your husband much success.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,588,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What kind of company contacted his current supervisor? That was a foolish move on their part.
Yeah no kidding. Most places ask if it's OK to contact your current employer. It's always a resounding NO for obvious reasons.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 PM

493 posts, read 982,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It was a federal job and they made it sound like it was a requirement for consideration. In his field (meteorology, non-broadcast) the NWS is one of the dream jobs, so he didn't really hesitate when he thought he had a chance at getting his foot in the door.

And guilt-tripping is definitely a more accurate term, I just couldn't think of it when making the thread.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,351,234 times
It is common for gov't agencies to interview a candidate's current employer. What happens to programs and employees is not your husband's problem.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,571,368 times
I think mine did, but I already told them I was applying. I got blessing from ex-employer, and they worked with me as well, namely they didn't treat me any differently and made no plans to replace me until I actually gave my notice in case I didn't get job. Why are people so afraid of their employer knowing? What are they going to do? Fire you? You get unemployment then, from a job you would have left on your own eventually. They can't treat you worse, it's against the laws to "harass" someone like that as well.

But how is it so common that people on here keep referring themselves as one of the "final" candidates? The government is not suppose to provide any more contact after the interview until a final decision is made, either a yes or a no. Not a you're still in the running so consider yourself a "finalist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment