Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,494 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what people think about this. I work in a small office and me and the owner are the only men. The other 11 employees are women! I've always enjoyed going out to get lunch with coworkers in past jobs maybe once or twice a month, especially if there was a birthday or event or something, and wanted to continue that past time in this job. I have considered asking colleagues to get lunch with me when I run out for something, but due to the dynamics of our office and people's schedules, it would not be unusual for only one female coworker to be available to come with me. In my old jobs, it was never a problem if there was just one other male coworker and we just went grabbed a lunch the two of us, but I feel that with just a female coworker it may be inappropriate.

Is this inappropriate? I am married and most of these women are married too, but I feel a male and female coworkers going out alone to lunch can be viewed poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Personally I never went out to lunch with coworkers but if they ordered in or we had a potluck I participated.
Ask your wife what she thinks about this it is her opinion that matters more than any other.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:34 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I never went out to lunch with coworkers but if they ordered in or we had a potluck I participated.
Ask your wife what she thinks about this it is her opinion that matters more than any other.
This is my first time working in a smaller company. Usually always worked in large corporations or at least medium sized (100-200 employees). It was easy to get a nice group together to head out to lunch a couple times a month. Very nice, destressing, and fun, if you could afford it of course. No one was forced to go!

I usually bring a lunch, but every once in a while it's just nice to step out of the office and have a sit down meal.

Wife is neutral. Said it depends on the age and relationship status of the woman. (Ex, she wouldn't mind me going out with a 55 year old married woman but would mind me going out with a 25 year old married or single woman)

I'm probably not going to do this at my current job since people here rarely eat anyway, but it just got me thinking and I was curious to see what other people think.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 PM

152 posts, read 185,646 times
I wouldnt do it. women might think Ur hitting on them etc. Rather avoid drama and keep Ur job safe

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 PM

I would have no problem with Mr. CSD having lunch with any woman no matter her age, marital status or level of attractiveness but that is us.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:43 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
If it's once in a while I'd see no problem with it, as long as it's a friendly, professional relationship on both your parts and nothing too personal gets discussed. If it's you constantly going out with the same woman and it starts to even remotely cross the line into something romantic, it definitely would not be okay. Not sure about asking your wife though. If it's once in a while I don't see the big deal but anything more would not be okay with me.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:44 PM

OP, is there any reason your wife cannot meet you for lunch a few times a month?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I am wondering what people think about this. I work in a small office and me and the owner are the only men. The other 11 employees are women! I've always enjoyed going out to get lunch with coworkers in past jobs maybe once or twice a month, especially if there was a birthday or event or something, and wanted to continue that past time in this job. I have considered asking colleagues to get lunch with me when I run out for something, but due to the dynamics of our office and people's schedules, it would not be unusual for only one female coworker to be available to come with me. In my old jobs, it was never a problem if there was just one other male coworker and we just went grabbed a lunch the two of us, but I feel that with just a female coworker it may be inappropriate.

Is this inappropriate? I am married and most of these women are married too, but I feel a male and female coworkers going out alone to lunch can be viewed poorly.
Well I am a female, and here is my perspective. I worked at a small company a few jobs ago, and my work BFF was a guy with a serious girlfriend. We went out to lunch like every day. If we didn't have lunch, we would get coffee. No biggie. We talked about all sorts of stuff. Sometimes we'd invite other coworkers. It was a mostly male place. We were the same age and had similar interests. It was logical to hang out.

When I met his girlfriend, she was awesome. Just the sort of person I'd be good friends with. She had no issues either, in fact he always told me he wanted me to meet her because we'd get along well.

I also went out with married coworkers. Though I haven't gone as often just because we didn't have the right chemistry or schedules so it wasn't as often.

I have always gone out alone with male coworkers for lunch if we connected. I generally put you in an attracted or not attracted box and have no issues being friends with men! If we get along well we should hang out. I have behaved the same with taken or single male coworkers

If your wife has no issues, don't worry about it! You guys are mature adults.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
I see no problems... if you are asking everyone, and they know you ask then why would they take it personally?

It gets personal if you invite the same person over and over if they decline.

And if she agree and you guys hit it off and eat together. Then it is none of their business if it doesn't affect your work

Old 01-23-2016, 01:18 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
The key is to ask the entire group, not one particular person and then go to a very public non-romantic restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment