Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 PM

23,721 posts, read 24,300,569 times

Advertisements

On an occasional emergency situation, I let it slide. If it occurs frequently, I'll complain nicely. It's very distracting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 PM

13,302 posts, read 8,534,555 times
one of my co workers brought her ADULT daughter into work. the gal was under house arrest...so her mother had to have her in here presence at all times. It was annoying as this ADULT started working on her Mothers tasks and thereby privy to govt information. this went on for two weeks...til I finally spoke up. My boss realized that this wasn't the best atmosphere for a non employee to be accessing such data. the Mother was completely dumb founded when he confronted her on having her see the business files. So what does this Lady do? Takes all the contracts HOME and has her daughter do them there. talk about ignorance at its finest. this lady was relentless at finding ways around a directive.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,280,926 times
It's happened at work a few times. The kid just sits in the break room playing on an iPad. As long as they don't talk my ear off I couldn't care less. I rather their kid sit in the breakroom than have the employee call out, otherwise everyone suffers.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,326,806 times
I've worked places where people bring their dogs, it's not that unusual.

I bring my kid to work from time to time. He sits there playing on his phone with his earbuds in. No one is bothered. I don't bring him for a whole day but sometimes for a couple of hours, maybe half a day. There are several other parents on the floor who bring their own kids in a similar amount - all school aged and able to stay quiet. It would not work to bring a noisy toddler in, though.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 AM

1,020 posts, read 813,994 times
An occasional emergency or an occasional visit, okay. I've only known 2 people who ever did this, both an an IT environment that was very casual. They did it maybe once a year & both of those kids were a delight, that most of us were happy to say hello to once/year. They were the type that would sit & draw pictures quietly in dad's cubicle (pre cell phones).

My DH works AT HOME & he has a very detailed work-at-home agreement, 18 pages worth & it is VERY clear that even at home, you may not work while child caring.

Sick kids? No way! Kids not old enough to amuse themselves quietly for hours at a time, no way!

ETA: that was about 30 yrs ago. I subsequently worked for 5 or 6 other large co's & never once saw it again anywhere.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:14 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,783,028 times
I had a co-worker do this all the time! We were a small office and our boss lived out of state so he was never there. My co-worker would bring in her toddler anytime he was sick and couldn't send him to daycare. One time the poor kid was so sick that he was throwing up in the garbage can begging his mom to go home so he could go to bed! How sad, a 4 year old asking to go to bed! I told her they needed to leave and she told me she wasn't wasting a personal day on her son being sick! Really?? People like that shouldn't have kids! Anyway, I called her boss and he told her to leave. I was not about to take those germs home with me and get my family sick!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:10 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,599,987 times
It depends on the child but if they're sick, no. If they're off from school and childcare falls through and the child can sit quietly - no issue. When our son is sick and neither back up childcare provider is available I work from home and put a movie on or give unlimited tablet time. I'd never bring my sick child to the office.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:16 AM

486 posts, read 997,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
one of my co workers brought her ADULT daughter into work. the gal was under house arrest...so her mother had to have her in here presence at all times. It was annoying as this ADULT started working on her Mothers tasks and thereby privy to govt information. this went on for two weeks...til I finally spoke up. My boss realized that this wasn't the best atmosphere for a non employee to be accessing such data. the Mother was completely dumb founded when he confronted her on having her see the business files. So what does this Lady do? Takes all the contracts HOME and has her daughter do them there. talk about ignorance at its finest. this lady was relentless at finding ways around a directive.
See, only the most qualified people get jobs! The workplace only hires perfect purple unicorns. At least that is what I have heard.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 895,651 times
Bringing kids to the workplace sends my husband over the cliff! He comes home in such a bad mood over it. I told him to walk out if the kids are there..obviously the workplace is now a daycare center. Such BS...IMHO.

MAE

Old 03-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,829,411 times
Neither kids nor dogs are allowed here, other than a brief visit by kids (no dogs at all). If someone asks to bring their sick kid to work they would be told that's what PTO is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment