Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm Logan Byrd, Owner of Pointer Dog Marketing. Pointer Dog Marketing is a brand new business, and it focuses exclusively on social media marketing and website optimization. I don't program much, but I am skilled at using cheap web interfaces and can make better websites that way. I'm just getting started, and my own website isn't even finished yet, but a niche I'd like to expand into is small and medium business owners who either know nothing about social media or very little about it. My plan is to focus more on restaurants. I know of maybe 2 businesses off of the top of my head that have no website or advertisement. I've been working part time as a pharmacy technician at CVS Pharmacy, and that's an alright job, but I'd like to try my hand at a small business of my own and just keep the Pharmacy Tech job as a part-time safety net. My intended business model is to find small and medium businesses, probably local (within a 45 minute drive of me) restaurants starting out, who still haven't I feel like I can pull this business model off if I can just find a way to reliably find businesses who are either marketing themselves poorly or not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 06:24 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Website design is a highly competitive and talented job. If you can't code you will never make it unless you hire someone that does code. Do you graphic design skills to offer in doing websites? You need to go back to school and learn web coding and graphic design. It doesn't have to be a four year degree but it does need to be some serious learning.

Your name sounds frivolous for business. Obviously you are more focused on your dog and fun than business unless you are targeting only other dog lovers that don't take business seriously.

The problem with using web site builders is that they "bloat" the web site right out of the gate and make it run slow so be very careful with how you use those. Once you start changing things they get exponentially bigger and slower.

Once you locate those needy businesses you may find out real quick why they don't have a website or why it's a bad one. They might be very cheap and or difficult to work with. In this day and age there is no one that can't a website done, they just don't want to.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:04 AM

84 posts, read 175,684 times
Like Kayekaye iterated, web design is more than just finding some template online and putting pretty pictures on top of it. Any business owner worth their salt is going to ask you the pertinent questions about your previous work and your design process. If I hired a web designer and they told me "yeah I don't really program the sites persay... I just use cheap interfaces, those are a lot easier", my first thought would be "if its that easy, sounds like I can just do it myself right?".

No offense, but you really need to do your homework on both the business side and the web development side of things. How are you going to proceed with "website optimization" when you don't even know how a site should be developed and programmed on the back end in the first place? I wouldn't call developing websites for restaurants a "niche", there's literally hundreds of companies/templates/designers out there willing to cater to this type of clientele.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille1984 View Post
Like Kayekaye iterated, web design is more than just finding some template online and putting pretty pictures on top of it. Any business owner worth their salt is going to ask you the pertinent questions about your previous work and your design process. If I hired a web designer and they told me "yeah I don't really program the sites persay... I just use cheap interfaces, those are a lot easier", my first thought would be "if its that easy, sounds like I can just do it myself right?".

No offense, but you really need to do your homework on both the business side and the web development side of things. How are you going to proceed with "website optimization" when you don't even know how a site should be developed and programmed on the back end in the first place? I wouldn't call developing websites for restaurants a "niche", there's literally hundreds of companies/templates/designers out there willing to cater to this type of clientele.
It's fine. I openly admit that I'm young and stupid...but I come on sites like this to filter my ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment