Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:55 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,175,312 times

Advertisements

I was in an interview in which the interviewer criticized my answer to one of her questions, saying I should never say that in an interview. Whether or not she was correct, it was rude and awkward. As soon as I got home I emailed HR to withdraw from consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,482,472 times
Several years ago I had an interview for a customer service job at Consumer Reports magazine in Yonkers, NY. I can't remember exactly what year it was now, but I was in the age range of 39 - 42 at the time. The department manager that interviewed me, who was younger than me, asked me flat out why I hadn't pursued this type of work when I was younger. He also said that he wanted to find someone that was going to be a good fit with the rest of his team (which given his previous comment I took to mean that he thought I might be too old to fit in there).

I believe I also had a small portfolio bag with me that I used to carry my resume, references, job history, etc. and he actually made a comment mocking me for carrying that, saying something like it a bit fancy for a job interview at this level. Needless to say, I wasn't offered the job that I had interviewed for that day.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 AM

8,436 posts, read 3,604,445 times
I went to an open interview before at a restaurant. The manager asked me to confirm my name and some other information in the application. Then he read over some stuff for about a minute or two. Then he partly stood and started screaming in my face, "Why should I hire you?" and other stuff I no longer remember. It was very triggering. I have moderate to severe PTSD from years of extreme abuse. I don't remember how I got back to my car at the time, but I started having an anxiety attack and somehow got out of there. I had to drive to another part of the mall and calm down some before I was safe to drive home. I never ate at one of those restaurants ever again.

I went to an open interview at McDonald's last time I applied there back in 2010. The open interviews were from 2 to 4. I arrived slightly after two. I was pointed to an area and was told to wait there. I waited quietly. It was almost past the time period for the open interviews and I finally walked back up there to inquire about how much longer it would be. The manager started screeching loudly at me where the whole place could hear her about how I was late and would have to come back next week and was cussing me. I had enough, informed her they had me waiting out here since after two and that I hadn't been late. I said something about her wasting my time. Then I cussed her back. I was also speaking loudly enough for the whole place to hear, since they were already staring at me thanks to her. I walked off and didn't buy anything from the place again. I guess technically I was never interviewed, but I showed up for one and took the time to dress up nice for it. I guess they weren't so open after all.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:01 AM

6,665 posts, read 7,419,199 times
When I hire someone I want then to stay for a long period of time. No reason to hide anything as they would learn all in a few weeks of work. If I can I also let the people they will be working with interview with the prospect. The employee knows that they are not judging the ability to do the job but the likely hood that they will fit into the organization. The prospect knows that the object of the meeting is to see if they think they will like working here.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:59 AM

190 posts, read 249,168 times
*back story -- graduated from college a year ago in January 2016, and so I would not have had real world experience up until now for obvious reasons*

One time I went on an interview (sometime during my first year of post graduation) and the guy interviewing me was asking me questions where it would be questions that I was not able to answer a lot of them because of the type of questions it was - I would have had to be working in my field for a while to now, not for just graduating college. So for most I did not know what to say or how to answer. The interview was obviously horrible, which is why I never followed up to see if I ever got the job - I knew I didnt. I was just waiting to see if they ever called, but if not, I did not care to follow up. They ended up calling to say that I never got the job.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,930,408 times
Not really WTF moments but some highlights of the craziness I endured. Just a list of stuff off the top of my head...

"You were on the honors list for six out of your eight semesters. Why weren't you on it for the other two?"

"Are you single or currently in a relationship?"

"What do your parents do for a living?"

"If you could be any type of candy, which would you choose and why?"

"Did you need help finding our place?" (I guess when someone arrives to your place 10-15 minutes early, they must have had trouble finding your location)

"Now, we're located at ____ in ____. Do you live near this town?" (I actually live in the same town as your company is located in, you would have found that out if you bothered to look at my resume)

Old 04-16-2017, 02:23 PM

13,304 posts, read 8,547,021 times
Ohh after over 70 interviews I still get stymied at some of the interviews bravado.

One said in random chatter, "Ohh I cannot tolerate staff members that come to work with those clog foot wear. (I had just had foot surgery and the shoes were shaped like clogs....medically approved). I then placed my legs to the side so she could see my shoes. She abruptly stopped the interview and on the way out I said, Ohh and btw, I just had foot surgery...so maybe next time you'll ask instead of assuming things about a person. The kicker is she was the director for a State Funded Home care for the handicapped.

A President of a company sat in on an interview and announced, My phone should never ring with a customer concern!! I was befuddled. Be in TOUCH with your customers...They are the bread and butter....
I was glad to not get the job.....He had major issues with being a part of the company....He wanted to set himself A PART from the "team"...In the words of SNLs church lady...."Isn't that special?"

Old 04-16-2017, 04:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,210,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I was in an interview in which the interviewer criticized my answer to one of her questions, saying I should never say that in an interview. Whether or not she was correct, it was rude and awkward. As soon as I got home I emailed HR to withdraw from consideration.
So what did you say? I would assume you weren't bragging about taking "free" office supplies from your previous employer?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 PM

35,265 posts, read 31,631,024 times
I went to an interview for an IT position back in 2011. I had been out of college and at a help desk for like a year. I don't remember exactly what the manager said or the job title, but they wanted an advance level skillset for $25k. I ended up just leaving.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM

38,931 posts, read 24,031,467 times
I had an interview ask me the dreaded "What is a weakness or an area you wish to improve" question. I replied "Communication is an area I would like to improve on." Then the interviewer asked about "What is an important part of this job?" I replied "Communication." The interviewer then asked "Why would say communication for both?" I replied "You asked for a weakness or an area I wish to improve. I feel anyone needs to." Sadly I had a bad idea about that. I didn't go on any further thankfully...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment