Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,610,975 times

Advertisements

Recently the push for equity has resulted in less emphasis on degree in hiring for many public agencies, especially in Seattle. The pay is decent with great benefits at most of them, so I would start checking this site AWC Jobnet which has public agency openings:

https://jobnet.wacities.org/king

Hopefully there will eventually be some that interest you and don't require a lot of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 06:26 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,856,689 times
It is more difficult for individuals with your condition to find meaningful employment but even more so with the degree you pursued. What was your career objective when you decided on a Film degree? Only 20% of people with that degree work in the industry. I have a "Facebook friend" whose daughter studied "film" at Cornell and she has never worked in the industry. It seems to me that kind of degree is perfect for a trust fund baby who wants the college experience without studying anything too difficult.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

17,506 posts, read 16,677,897 times
I'd look into jobs that don't involve a lot of customer service - something more behind the scenes. Instead of being a cashier, for instance, why not try stocking shelves. You could be an online order shopper at Walmart - put ear buds in your ears so that your interactions with customers are kept to a minimum.

Maybe try auto tech - some places, like tire centers, will provide on the job training.

Restaurant back of house.

With your degree you might enjoy being an event videographer - just make sure that you can manage the customer service angle of the job because you will need to have some sales skills to excel in that field.

Just apply and when nothing pans out apply some more. Be sure to keep your hair and nails trimmed, any facial hair should be neat, teeth should be clean, clothes unwrinkled/neat/coordinated and professional at your job interviews.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

17,506 posts, read 16,677,897 times
Also, you might try looking into post office jobs and corporate mail room jobs.

Old Today, 11:29 AM

148 posts, read 89,441 times
I'm sure I'm probably somewhere on the spectrum, and I've always fantasized about becoming a trucker.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,102,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
I'm sure I'm probably somewhere on the spectrum, and I've always fantasized about becoming a trucker.
I have too, though I don't know if 'fantasize' is the right word. More like running out of options and trying to envision how to make a living for myself.

I'd be all over it if it weren't for having to back the truck up. Imagine being in the middle of a busy city having to back the truck in, with traffic piling up as you make your fifth attempt to get it right, people getting pissed and honking horns. I'd probably start crying and abandon the truck. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment