Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:08 PM

292 posts, read 570,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
In my experience as a network security architect, few programmers ever really got the low-level concepts of Unix-like systems, so the move to hide these away permanently from the programmers can only be an improvement.

That was the case a few years ago, now "cloud" often refers to an additional abstraction layer on top of the virtual server, so a business would no longer have any "server admins" at all, their staff would instead manage docker containers, microservices, and compute pools.

This abstracts away much of the old school skills of server administration, now you no longer know or care about "network interfaces" and MAC addresses, or how much disk space or RAM is allocated to your instance -- you just use the resources of the cloud provider and watch your bill climb.
I am a 'do it yourself'er, and I would rather have to "pop the hood" and configure networks and operating systems then send everything off to some unknown entity, hoping that they will not vanish one day (like in the dot-com/bomb era), or there is someone there stealing whatever data is being stored on those servers. Hope you are using some very strong encryption before you send it out (and not just what the "dashboard" or whatever provides, I mean using your own software to do it). Do you have access to the source code to the "dashboard" at least, so you can make sure no 'mickeys' were slipped in there by an unsavory programmer?

I would probably use the "cloud" as a backup (again encrypting using my own software before sending anything to it), but I would keep all primary operations on site using my own hardware and software.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 4,215 times
‘According to Forbes, 80% of all IT budgets will be committed to cloud solutions.’
I found this information on https://www.infopulse.com/ These guys are Microsoft cloud partners and they offer advanced cloud strategies along with cyber security services. Though I’m not among their customers, I found their website very helpful in terms of valuable information about cloud service providers, different types of clouds (public cloud, hybrid cloud, private cloud) and all cloudification issues.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:00 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,681,797 times
Wink I'm not saying I *like* the direction containerization is taking us, but I am a pragmatist at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
I am a 'do it yourself'er, and I would rather have to "pop the hood" and configure networks and operating systems then send everything off to some unknown entity, hoping that they will not vanish one day (like in the dot-com/bomb era), or there is someone there stealing whatever data is being stored on those servers. Hope you are using some very strong encryption before you send it out (and not just what the "dashboard" or whatever provides, I mean using your own software to do it). Do you have access to the source code to the "dashboard" at least, so you can make sure no 'mickeys' were slipped in there by an unsavory programmer?
Never said I was a fan of this approach, just that it's the direction "cloud" is going -- unless you're a Fortune-100 customer with a budget to match, you don't get to pop the hood, you just get to trust them.

We will see unprecedented security breaches in cloud providers making Equifax and Anthem look positively tame in comparison. It's not a matter of whether they will occur, but when will they be discovered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
I would probably use the "cloud" as a backup (again encrypting using my own software before sending anything to it), but I would keep all primary operations on site using my own hardware and software.
That's the hyper-conservative approach. More common is to migrate traditional DMZ operations (public facing websites, external email) to the cloud, but keep your critical databases and all internal-to-internal messaging in-house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
So when I sign in to my AWS, the Amazon data center employees create my entire "server" infrastructure and administer it for me too. Wow, I didn't know they offered that service. I mean why even offer AWS SysOps Certifications
Sure, Amazon still offers primitive services for their dinosaur customers

New customers contract for ECS, which does exactly that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastic Container Services
you can deploy and manage containers without having to manage any of the underlying infrastructure. With AWS Fargate technology, you no longer have to select Amazon EC2 instance types, provision, and scale clusters of virtual machines to run containers or schedule containers to run on clusters and maintain their availability. Fargate enables you to focus on building and running the application and not the underlying infrastructure.
Ignoring containerization, microservices, etc won't make them go away. Adapt or die.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:06 PM

901 posts, read 748,219 times
Quote:
Never said I was a fan of this approach, just that it's the direction "cloud" is going -- unless you're a Fortune-100 customer with a budget to match, you don't get to pop the hood, you just get to trust them.

We will see unprecedented security breaches in cloud providers making Equifax and Anthem look positively tame in comparison. It's not a matter of whether they will occur, but when will they be discovered?

That's the hyper-conservative approach. More common is to migrate traditional DMZ operations (public facing websites, external email) to the cloud, but keep your critical databases and all internal-to-internal messaging in-house.

Sure, Amazon still offers primitive services for their dinosaur customers

New customers contract for ECS, which does exactly that:

Ignoring containerization, microservices, etc won't make them go away. Adapt or die.
Who is the "you" that deploys and manages containers and other services.......yeah thats what I thought. It isn't the AWS employees it is the devops/sys admins.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:02 PM

292 posts, read 570,512 times
Quote:
Wow. I just got a vision of thousands of malicious hackers with jaws open and salivating like wild dogs.

Looks like the next several years are going to be real loads of fun for them.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:40 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,583,930 times
we tested an ibm linuxone cloud instance to host a hyperledger fabric. the systems analysts set them up; not a project manager.

assuming this is a enterprise cloud hosted system, seems like these buniness analyst (?) dont know how to re-configure:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...ry-issues.html

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 02-18-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 05:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,764 times
Blockchain, baby. Blockchain.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 AM

^ yup (+1);
except i'm not really impressed with it. it was presented to us for being a slide in replacement for various activities. but it takes buy-in and change in existing established behaviors from all the participants.

and the ledger seems fairly centrally located which feels kinda' anti-cloud.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Many banks and healthcare organizations, and presumably other security conscious organizations, still go on-prem because they feel like they can control their data better.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:26 AM

^ +1; and health-care-reform(aca) for the most part wont allow health info to be exported offshore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment