Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:42 AM

2,328 posts, read 2,190,120 times

Advertisements

I am not looking for a job, since I have full time job.

Is it possible for me to get a job about part-time remote database administrator? Even if it is free (no salary), I am just looking for some DBA job experience, then switch to real DBA position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I am not looking for a job, since I have full time job.

Is it possible for me to get a job about part-time remote database administrator? Even if it is free (no salary), I am just looking for some DBA job experience, then switch to real DBA position.
Possible, yes...but don't expect people to beat a path to your door to do part-time DBA work (even for free) if you have no experience as a production DBA.

Additionally...if you assume responsibility for a company's databases...you're on call 24/7/365 unless there's a defined on-call rotation. Even then, expect to be woken up in the middle of the night or called at your kid's birthday party to join a conference call with 20 other people panicking because the database is down.

Also...when you're a new DBA...you are going to make mistakes. Some of them aren't a big deal...others could get you fired in a split second. You'll do much better in a role where a more senior person can mentor and train you. You may think you know a lot after 10-15 years of database development...but I can guarantee you right now that you don't know nearly as much about the RDBMS's internals as you think you do.

What do you currently do and why do you want to be a DBA?

-- BigDGeek, SQL Server DBA.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Possible, yes...but don't expect people to beat a path to your door to do part-time DBA work (even for free) if you have no experience as a production DBA.

Additionally...if you assume responsibility for a company's databases...you're on call 24/7/365 unless there's a defined on-call rotation. Even then, expect to be woken up in the middle of the night or called at your kid's birthday party to join a conference call with 20 other people panicking because the database is down.

Also...when you're a new DBA...you are going to make mistakes. Some of them aren't a big deal...others could get you fired in a split second. You'll do much better in a role where a more senior person can mentor and train you. You may think you know a lot after 10-15 years of database development...but I can guarantee you right now that you don't know nearly as much about the RDBMS's internals as you think you do.

What do you currently do and why do you want to be a DBA?

-- BigDGeek, SQL Server DBA.
Maybe, I should say "employer should not rely on me for job responsibility", I am more about providing some free assistance(free labor), not on-call rotation. Just get some tasks and get it done on my own time.

Current job: statistician. More about database user(Sybase), running queries, performing data analysis.

Reason: Prefer to switch to more technical job, in IT field. No promotion potential on my current position. Another reason is:I feel like IT is more general, it is easy to find another IT job in another organization.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe, I should say "employer should not rely on me for job responsibility", I am more about providing some free assistance(free labor), not on-call rotation. Just get some tasks and get it done on my own time.
Answer my other questions please.

I've been in IT for 20 years and have spent the last 13-14 years focused almost exclusively on database development, design, and administration. Dazzle me.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:

I've been in IT for 20 years and have spent the last 13-14 years focused almost exclusively on database development, design, and administration. Dazzle me.
I edited my previous response. I would like to emphasize the word "volunteer", free labor, gaining job experience.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Curious to be full time DBA: is it required to have work computer with you all the time? Did you need to bring work computer when on vocation ? Or is there any backup employee while you are on leave?

Old 09-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Current job: statistician. More about database user(Sybase), running queries, performing data analysis.

Reason: Prefer to switch to more technical job, in IT field. No promotion potential on my current position. Another reason is:I feel like IT is more general, it is easy to find another IT job in another organization.

No offense but I wouldn't hire you as a developer, let alone administrator. Data analysis & writing relatively simple queries is a very different animal.

If you want to learn how to administrate a database server, stand one up at home and practice on it. I can't speak for other RDBMSs but SQL Server is relatively straightforward in terms of getting it installed and running. Managing it well is another matter altogether. If you've never installed a DB server, there's no way any sane person would hire you as a DBA.

Quote:
Curious to be full time DBA: is it required to have work computer with you all the time? Did you need to bring work computer when on vocation ? Or is there any backup employee while you are on leave?
Depends. I personally would not bring my laptop with me if I was flying anywhere, but probably would if I was driving somewhere (on vacation). Work phone is a given, though if you don't have your laptop with you you'd be flying blind if you got called on an issue.

To be totally honest with you...DBA work is not for the faint of heart, it's not for people who stress under pressure, and it's not for someone whose only experience with DBs is "data analysis."

Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
No offense but I wouldn't hire you as a developer, let alone administrator. Data analysis & writing relatively simple queries is a very different animal.

If you want to learn how to administrate a database server, stand one up at home and practice on it. I can't speak for other RDBMSs but SQL Server is relatively straightforward in terms of getting it installed and running. Managing it well is another matter altogether. If you've never installed a DB server, there's no way any sane person would hire you as a DBA.

Depends. I personally would not bring my laptop with me if I was flying anywhere, but probably would if I was driving somewhere (on vacation). Work phone is a given, though if you don't have your laptop with you you'd be flying blind if you got called on an issue.

To be totally honest with you...DBA work is not for the faint of heart, it's not for people who stress under pressure, and it's not for someone whose only experience with DBs is "data analysis."
I am actually open to other IT jobs (not necessarily limited to DBA), if it is easy to find part time remote position. As long as that IT field can provide good income and it is easy for me to land a full time job, in the future.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I am actually open to other IT jobs (not necessarily limited to DBA), if it is easy to find part time remote position. As long as that IT field can provide good income and it is easy for me to land a full time job, in the future.
I suggest you figure out what it is you want to do and work towards that....and see if you have the aptitude to be a DBA. Not everyone does.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I suggest you figure out what it is you want to do and work towards that....and see if you have the aptitude to be a DBA. Not everyone does.
I came up with DBA, partly because I feel it is easy and hot career, therefore it is easy to get a position, after getting some job experience.

I also can consider application developer, I have built some VBA-based applications. But I could not persuade anyone to hire me, since it is not related to my job title. It is more about my extra contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment