Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:18 AM

9,419 posts, read 8,393,904 times

Advertisements

I don't know how it works with online postings, but maybe they pay companies like Indeed/Monster for a block of time to post the positions? So they pay for 90 days and if it gets filled in 45 days, it stays up for the remaining 45 days. HR may choose to keep some applicants in the event the new hire doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,326,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
A friend told me today that HR doesn't always remove job listings in a timely manner even if the job has been filled.

He said he found a job at a large company, so he applied for it online. Days after it, through a friend of a friend who works there, he checked into it to find out who the hiring manager was. Turns out the job was already filled a month before he even applied for it yet the job posting is still there online on the company website even today!

He joked he's waiting for an e-mail from HR to tell him he wasn't selected for the position because they found someone else who was a better match. Which would be a lie, because the job was filled even before he applied for it.
Your post reminds me of this position was posted internally, and someone got it. But a few months later, I saw that same position in the same branch was posted online. I asked somebody in that department "I saw that position posted online yesterday. What happened?" That person said that position was filled a long time ago. Nobody is resigning." And the person who got the job is very good. As far as I learned that the company did not plan to to hire another one. Weird. Why did they do that?

Old 02-27-2019, 08:38 AM

24,624 posts, read 10,947,984 times
It could be a bench position.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:58 AM

607 posts, read 979,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Don't apply for jobs that weren't posted in the last 30 days, and you don't have to worry about it.
Gotta be one of the first to apply to have a legit chance at most postings. That is what research shows.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
That is just lazyness for not putting an end date or going back in to close it from being public.
I believe you are right. The system should do it for them automatically, but it doesn't or it isn't configured properly to do this for them when the job is filled. Job Posting #1234 is tracked through the HR process, so once the final determination for Job Posting #1234 has been determined, it should be resolved by closing out the listing. Then automatically send out the usual boiler-plate e-mail message telling those who applied the position is no longer being recruited. But since it doesn't do that, it must not be a chore to those in HR. And HR doesn't care because it is evaluated mostly on the number offers accepted. Management never knowledgable about how must it is annoying those who apply for jobs there. This is why it is so important to report your experiences with places like Glassdoor to alert other job seekers. At least if there is enough complaints there, someone in the company such as Public Relations would bring it to the attention of management that the company's reputation is being damaged by how it handles a simple function like this.

Since I posted, I was talking to a friend who works in HR, and said that people applying for jobs in their system it doesn't generate an e-mail message for them to take action. They post a job, and when it becomes important for them to look at those who applied, then they login to their HR system for that job and review what is there. That makes sense, otherwise if you post 100 jobs, and get 100 people applying to each job you'd be getting tons of e-mail messages or alerts to handle. This way, if management decides not to fill the job at all, they can cancel the whole thing with a few keystrokes and be done with it.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
I've seen openings stay open for a year here, with the position never being filled and maybe not even actively interviewed for.

Old 11-03-2023, 04:36 AM

5 posts, read 1,143 times
Your friend's experience sheds light on a common issue in job searching – outdated listings. It's not unusual for job postings to linger online even after the position has been filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment