Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you experienced high / chronic stress at work?
Yes, enough to cause medical probs / take time off 24 29.27%
Yes, enough to interfere with non-work life 26 31.71%
Yes, but only a little or short periods 21 25.61%
No, none at all 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,832,208 times

Advertisements

If I'd been taking the poll in 2004-6 then I'd be the second choice. I was taking meds to stop me from killing myself.

Now? The lowest choice...I actually look forward to working....Really enjoy it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM

3,108 posts, read 2,453,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
A We view jobs like a cup dispenser -- if you don't like this one, toss it and grab another one out of the stack.
As my dad used to say, "I was looking for a job when I found this one."

Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,111,424 times
I took the first option. I had a job that contributed to a divorce as well as started to cause serious health issues due to stress and overwork. Several of my colleagues experienced similar issues, including one who dropped dead the day after a large project closed, another who suffered an emotional breakdown requiring hospitalization, and several others coped with good old fashioned substance abuse.

So I quit.

There are terrible employees out there, and stress is a very real issue for many.

That was several years ago, and I was able to find an employer that does not institutionalize a crushing workload and criticism, threats and penalties for falling short of perfection.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 AM

13,302 posts, read 8,534,555 times
I worked in a place that on any given hour a new rule was bounced around . It was chaos! For the first 8 years I was not bending to the emperors new clothes mantra ...'ohh just go along with it. ' So in meanders these 4 well adapted business men. Two days after settling in ..one of them said what for 8 years I knew to be true...the 2 owners were bat$hit bonkers. Constantly being inconsistent.
The ongoing joke was 'the box". All it took was our hr lady to be walking down the hall with an empty box and we knew someone had finally spoke up and said...but the emperor doesn't have clothes! You were allowed to think it..but my gawd don't ever validate reality!!!
After year 13 I finally received my "box". I still ironically loved my duties..and even most of my Co workers. But the stress from daily chaos did have its day of reckoning. I regret not being at that payscale....I don't regret finally shouting the inevitable truth...that was a textbook example of chaos and stress .
My weight had bloomed to 132 when working there..that is a 30% weight gain! Yes it was stress induced. My gastrointestinal and BP were irratic.
UltimatelyI'm accountable for my body...not my work.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:06 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,287,935 times
This is nothing new, unless you’re under the age of 50ish. I remember when Ford Motor Company actually issued a mandate that everyone had to be out of the office by 9. As in 9:00 PM! This only after finding an employee dead at his desk!

I was once told by my department manager that the minimum number of OT hours I was expected to work was 500 in a calendar year. I would be considered a real team player if I hit 700 hours!

So much for work/life balance.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:14 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,926,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is nothing new, unless you’re under the age of 50ish. I remember when Ford Motor Company actually issued a mandate that everyone had to be out of the office by 9. As in 9:00 PM! This only after finding an employee dead at his desk!

I was once told by my department manager that the minimum number of OT hours I was expected to work was 500 in a calendar year. I would be considered a real team player if I hit 700 hours!

So much for work/life balance.
The difference back then is people were PAID FOR OVERTIME. Time and a half. Remember that concept?

My parents didn't have to moonlight in the 80s to send me to Private school. OT paid for it.

Now people are expected to raise a family on a stagnant salary with pitiful wages that don't keep up with COL/inflation and do it with a smile. F**** that.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 PM

3,716 posts, read 2,450,041 times
I have absolutely on stress at my current job.

Work on my own mostly in a room with some brief interaction with my line manager and colleagues.

I did have a job that caused me lots of stress in the mid-90s. Miserable toxic environment and I stayed in the job too long before moving.

Now, I know.

If it's high stress or toxic make the move to a better thing.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:21 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,055,352 times
I work in the news media, and you don't enter the profession without expecting some stress. I've seen people handle it poorly. I've seen people handle it well.

I've been in the game for 20 years now. I've mellowed quite a bit in that time. I stick to my job, do it well, and try not to add any additional tasks. Personally, I also have that unapproachable face as described in another thread, so people have learned not to bother me with too many extra requests.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,510,411 times
At first, I was surprised by the results but not all jobs are created equal. Sigh!

Old 03-29-2019, 09:24 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,781,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The difference back then is people were PAID FOR OVERTIME. Time and a half. Remember that concept?

My parents didn't have to moonlight in the 80s to send me to Private school. OT paid for it.

Now people are expected to raise a family on a stagnant salary with pitiful wages that don't keep up with COL/inflation and do it with a smile. F**** that.
Paying for overtime work is an inconvenience to businesses. Many have found a way to get around this. Stagnant salaries at low pay help employers.

Don't like it? Start your own business! Reinvent yourself! Work hard and smart! Do whatever it takes! Oh wait! That seems to work less and less. The work environment keeps getting more and more hostile to ordinary workers. Many here don't want that pointed out. It is always the employee's fault and always will be if they can't get ahead or even tread water in this "great economy" where everyone that wants a job can have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment