Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times

Advertisements

Millennials feel more engaged if the workplace has amenities and culture they like. Many startups have to treat them like children. Which is exactly what schools are doing for gen Y and Z kids. You can't have kids forced into learning for long periods of hours they have to take more breaks and have non-academic activities to ensure they are engaged.

I estimate that based on my observations at a few startups I've been. Most workers do more work remotely than on premise. On prem, maybe 25% of the times is spent on their personal devices. Another 25% of times spent chit chatting not about work. 30% of the time spent at the lounges and the rest actually doing work.

Most young people will brag about doing less work by using some service or having other people do the work for them. They think doing less is the best way to work to they can spend more time balancing life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 08:22 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,608,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Have things actually gotten so grim? I'm in my 70s, so am completely out of touch, but some things went better and some things went worse.

I almost always enjoyed my jobs, though none of them were brain killing like convenience store clerk. There were a few times my bosses were crooks or obnoxious, so I just quit and moved on. Unless you are lucky enough to land in a featherbed, job hopping is something you have to do. I doubt that has changed.

Don't wait until you are unemployed to go job hunting. It's easiest to find a new job when you already have one.
Oh you are completely correct, you are more attractive to potential employers if you are employed than being unemployed.

And yes a work is work, if work was fun, we would say "I have to go to fun today" instead of "I have to go to work today". My stance is, unless the job is physically abusive or you have serious suicidal thoughts whilst driving to/from work, keep the job. Use your boredom, dislike of the job as motivation to push you on, to find something better.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,238,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Because we have allowed to let paid off politicians and big business run this country into the dirt for the last 30 years??

If we quit letting scumbags run the show and give them free reign and hold them accountable, there would be no goofballs in power around and we would actually have some leverage as American citizens and employee so we wouldn't have play "Smiley face pretend to be a loyal puppy" mentality . Just a thought...
The problem is how do people get on a ballot and become electable through running a candidacy that actually works without getting tons of $$$ through campaign contributions (bribes from cronies)?

Until we fix this problem, there is no way to elect someone who is actually working for the people. We only elect those who work for their cronies.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:19 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Millennials feel more engaged if the workplace has amenities and culture they like. Many startups have to treat them like children. Which is exactly what schools are doing for gen Y and Z kids. You can't have kids forced into learning for long periods of hours they have to take more breaks and have non-academic activities to ensure they are engaged.

I estimate that based on my observations at a few startups I've been. Most workers do more work remotely than on premise. On prem, maybe 25% of the times is spent on their personal devices. Another 25% of times spent chit chatting not about work. 30% of the time spent at the lounges and the rest actually doing work.

Most young people will brag about doing less work by using some service or having other people do the work for them. They think doing less is the best way to work to they can spend more time balancing life.
I don't agree with this at all.

I don't work for a heavy Millennial employer now, but did work for a Boston based fintech company several years ago. With the exception of the manager, all of the employees were Millennials.

Most days were pretty covered up. We did our best to keep the clients happy. The clients were mostly traders and investment banks, and it was a stressful group to work with. It was easily the busiest job I've ever had.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:11 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,141,363 times
Nothing wrong with enjoying some elements of your job, but it's when your hear people saying the love their job, almost like they have won the lottery working in that organization it comes across as fake, when you ask then why this specific job or specific industry, what is it particularly you love about it, see what answers you get.

I personally don't know how anyone could truly love an organization or job that is not their own creation, at the end of day your performing a function in someone else creation.

Many corporate jobs are almost cult like, if you don't pretend to love the cult you will be replaced by a better actor.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 AM

4,995 posts, read 2,729,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Nothing wrong with enjoying some elements of your job, but it's when your hear people saying the love their job, almost like they have won the lottery working in that organization it comes across as fake, when you ask then why this specific job or specific industry, what is it particularly you love about it, see what answers you get.

I personally don't know how anyone could truly love an organization or job that is not their own creation, at the end of day your performing a function in someone else creation.

Many corporate jobs are almost cult like, if you don't pretend to love the cult you will be replaced by a better actor.
Acting is the essence of corporate life.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,899,337 times
This should be a wake up call for all the Boomers who think Millennials are all just lazy sacks of sh**

Old 07-10-2019, 02:33 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't agree with this at all.

I don't work for a heavy Millennial employer now, but did work for a Boston based fintech company several years ago. With the exception of the manager, all of the employees were Millennials.

Most days were pretty covered up. We did our best to keep the clients happy. The clients were mostly traders and investment banks, and it was a stressful group to work with. It was easily the busiest job I've ever had.
That's FinTech for you where they have to be client focus or lose clients. Tech companies they print money and their only competition is time.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:54 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,873,904 times
I'd rather spend my days hiking in the mountains, kayaking or boating.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:25 PM

135 posts, read 90,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I'd rather spend my days hiking in the mountains, kayaking or boating.
I'd rather spend my days just about anywhere than in a cubicle. Most people don't like working and only go because they need the paycheck. That's reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment