Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 05:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,188,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
Because she reprimanded me for not completing a task correctly when I first started then said she couldn't understand why I could do other tasks but not this one. I told her that the training was better on the other task. She kept jumping around and not going in sequence with the other. I was really honest that the training was spotty. She didn't like that feedback and has tried to be intimidating ever since.

Being a teacher myself, just watching her butcher foundational concepts for a task was very frustrating. She is very hard to understand. She doesn't connect with what she is teaching. She just wants to rush through and has even told me to use "common sense" because she has made me so nervous I couldn't think! I just feel so defeated right now.
You're going to have to go one way or the other.

If you keep blaming your boss for your problems, then you won't take ownership of your work quality because every time there is a deficiency, you're just going to blame it on your unfair boss.

So, I would either quit or stop blaming your boss and step it up, or ask to be transferred to another supervisor.

I once had a job many moons ago, where I thought my boss was terrible and working against me, and so they moved me to another person, whom then left the company, and so to another. So 3 different bosses.
And I was still fired. So, yea, that one was on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 06:40 PM

48,715 posts, read 35,236,693 times
Our son once proclaimed that the reason he was not doing well in a class was because the teacher didn't like him. First question: Did you do something to cause the teacher not to like you? And our bottom line: Not everyone will like you, for a variety of fair and unfair reasons. What you are to learn is how to get along and succeed in situations where you are not liked. It will happen a lot in life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-03-2019, 05:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,762,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our son once proclaimed that the reason he was not doing well in a class was because the teacher didn't like him. First question: Did you do something to cause the teacher not to like you? And our bottom line: Not everyone will like you, for a variety of fair and unfair reasons. What you are to learn is how to get along and succeed in situations where you are not liked. It will happen a lot in life.
Yes, and one thing that separates children from adults is that adults have the maturity and knowledge to figure out how to learn things on their own without having someone hand hold them through it. We have a lot of training in my current office that is spotty or awful, and we either have to figure out how to do things ourselves or ask someone else who might be more knowledgeable. We don’t have a management structure where the manager necessarily even knows how to do the job we are doing, so figuring out who to ask or where to look is important. The people who know how to do that tend to be the people who excel. The people who blame others for poor training and make excuses tend to be the people who do not last.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:17 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,935,424 times
I see a lot of folks continuing to just rehash the senseless "buck up" advice instead of just acknowledging that this is incompetent buffoon manager that the OP needs to try to get away from as soon as possible.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 AM

35,286 posts, read 31,658,660 times
You have to take some initiative to sort of train yourself as well. Try and figure you out where you're making the mistakes and correct them. With that said, definitely keep an eye on open positions

Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 AM

9,617 posts, read 5,408,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
I just got my performance review after 60 days and it wasn't great. I didn't even know I was having one until day. It made me look like I wasn't learning fast enough and doing everything exceptionally well. While my boss is knowledgeable, she is is not a good teacher. She skips around in her teaching and she is has a robotic type tone, very disconnected.

I feel like I'm gonna get the boot, because I have only 30 days to score well on what I have learned and score well on what I will be future trained on.

I need some advice on where to go from here. The job has some perks, but I am at loss. I just don't know what direction to go in and my confidence level is dropping. I know, given enough time I can learn it and do it well, but I probably won't be as fast as they want me to be.

Advice please
If there were specific areas where you were deemed deficient, they should be spelled out. If so, then I would ask the manager to help you improve those areas. If you have any good ideas about that, share them with her. I agree with others here - sometimes, you just get bad trainers. You have to pick up the slack yourself and/or assertively ask for help (at least that would indicate to them that you are interested in improving.) I also agree that a few times in life, it wasn't 'them,' it was me.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:00 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,782,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I see a lot of folks continuing to just rehash the senseless "buck up" advice instead of just acknowledging that this is incompetent buffoon manager that the OP needs to try to get away from as soon as possible.
Because this is a sink or swim world. Not everything will be handed to you on a platter. It's either figure it out or suffer the consequences of not figuring it out.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,188,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think there's degrees to which teachers and managers can influence your success.

A biased teacher can turn an A student into B student easily, but typically not a C or D student.

In the same way, managers can prevent excellent employees from getting promoted, but if you're getting demerits and on the verge of being canned, some of it is likely on you.

That said, somebody like that could move companies and be a perfectly good employee. Seen that a lot of times.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:34 AM

6,864 posts, read 11,665,196 times
Is there anyone else who does the same job as you, or at least knows your job? Ask them to clarify whatever parts you’re having trouble with. Say something like “I get confused when I’m doing (task). Maybe if someone besides “boss” explains it, I could understand the big picture better.” Don’t tell co-worker Boss is a crappy instructor. Phrase it so it sounds like you’re only wanting 5 minutes of their time. You don’t want co-worker going to boss saying “Saltwater wants ME to train her/him because they can’t figure out what you’re saying.”

If boss says anything about it, put it all on yourself and your learning style, not on boss’ teaching style. This is a time to tread very carefully around the boss.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 682,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Is there anyone else who does the same job as you, or at least knows your job? Ask them to clarify whatever parts you’re having trouble with. Say something like “I get confused when I’m doing (task). Maybe if someone besides “boss” explains it, I could understand the big picture better.” Don’t tell co-worker Boss is a crappy instructor. Phrase it so it sounds like you’re only wanting 5 minutes of their time. You don’t want co-worker going to boss saying “Saltwater wants ME to train her/him because they can’t figure out what you’re saying.”

If boss says anything about it, put it all on yourself and your learning style, not on boss’ teaching style. This is a time to tread very carefully around the boss.
I really like this advice. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment